Is this a deal breaker?

lil_missy

So I have been dating my bf for 4 months now official for 2 months.

Everything is great and we really love eachother

Lately his food habits have been really getting on my nerves. Basically he is super picky and only eats a handful of things. Seriously I can list them here, cheese, pizza, sausage, bread/toast, migoreng, fried rice, pasta, watermelon and apple. Desserts he will eat.

Now I like all kinds of food and food is a big thing for me. I love so many cuisines, chinese Malaysian, Thai, Indian, Italian etc. and I love seafood and meat. All of those he doesn't eat.

I just feel sad because I feel I can never go to a nice fine dining restaurant or buffet with him coz I know he won't eat 90% of the menu. He says he will go with me and just eat fried rice or chips or something. But I don't want him to do that its not fun eating by my self and cant enjoy the food with someone, plus those restaurants R expensive and for what he eats he is better off going to a takeaway store.

So I don't know what to do, I don't want to break up with him over time I guess I'm just venting.

Any ideas on how this situation can get better?

NoMoreJerks

Why is it a problem for you what he eats if he goes with u to resto??? I don't get it.

Maybe he has IBS.

It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, if he offered to accompany me to the resto. Anyway, for me, even if I like exploring different cuisines, going out with a guy to a restaurant is also about the conversations we're gonna have, in a nice romantic atmosphere, etc.

It would be a deal-breaker for me; but I'm a food-writer and trained chef. My circle of friends are people for whom food is massively important.

Doesn't matter, with that diet he'll be dead in 10 years anyway.

• Like 4
  • Author

That is my bigger concern actually that he doesn't care bout his health. He thinks eating and dieting is all bout calorie counting but completely neglects the nutritional aspect of it. Don't know what to do with him :(

That is my bigger concern actually that he doesn't care bout his health. He thinks eating and dieting is all bout calorie counting but completely neglects the nutritional aspect of it. Don't know what to do with him :(

Tell him exactly that, it's a legitimate concern.

And he'll also start to get fat(ter?)

It would be a dealbreaker for me, but I really enjoy food and eating out. I love trying new restaurants and would want to be able to enjoy that with my boyfriend.

Yeah, I would find it really tough to date someone with those limitations. I love trying new foods both at home and out at restaurants, and it's important to me to share that with someone.

Whys is he so limited in what he will eat? Is he not open to expanding his palate at all? It takes 5 to 10 exposures to a new food to like something, if he was open to it, he could definitely widen the foods he liked!

LoveAnimals

LOL!

All kidding aside that would be an absolute deal breaker to me. I'm very passionate about food and love to try exotic new cuisines. Funny thing is I was thinking about this today. My sister has gone out with a few guys that only eat very limited things. As a brand new single young woman, I would HATE to be with a man that has the palate of a 2 year old.

So I have been dating my bf for 4 months now official for 2 months.

Everything is great and we really love eachother

Lately his food habits have been really getting on my nerves. Basically he is super picky and only eats a handful of things. Seriously I can list them here, cheese, pizza, sausage, bread/toast, migoreng, fried rice, pasta, watermelon and apple. Desserts he will eat.

Now I like all kinds of food and food is a big thing for me. I love so many cuisines, chinese Malaysian, Thai, Indian, Italian etc. and I love seafood and meat. All of those he doesn't eat.

I just feel sad because I feel I can never go to a nice fine dining restaurant or buffet with him coz I know he won't eat 90% of the menu. He says he will go with me and just eat fried rice or chips or something. But I don't want him to do that its not fun eating by my self and cant enjoy the food with someone, plus those restaurants R expensive and for what he eats he is better off going to a takeaway store.

So I don't know what to do, I don't want to break up with him over time I guess I'm just venting.

Any ideas on how this situation can get better?

missy, have his food/eating habits always been this bad, and it's just lately they are bothering you?

Or did he just lately start developing bad food and eating habits?

I couldn't quite figure what you meant.

If it's the former, and they are just starting to bother you after months of dating, you might want to explore why.

Just six short days ago, you were posting how in love with him you are, how he's *the one."

Are you getting scared? Looking for things to sabotage it?

On the other hand, if he just started developing these bad habits, you might want to talk to him to determine why.....seems weird that all of a sudden, he would start wanting to eat crap.

• Author
Yeah, I would find it really tough to date someone with those limitations. I love trying new foods both at home and out at restaurants, and it's important to me to share that with someone.

Whys is he so limited in what he will eat? Is he not open to expanding his palate at all? It takes 5 to 10 exposures to a new food to like something, if he was open to it, he could definitely widen the foods he liked!

He says he is willing to try new foods when I bring up the issue with him. But he Then he tries a couple days then goes back to normal. same with everything else if I nag him enough he'll do it then stop after a while. It's like I'm dating a big child. But I really do love him and don't want to break up with him.

• Author
missy, have his food/eating habits always been this bad, and it's just lately they are bothering you?

Or did he just lately start developing bad food and eating habits?

I couldn't quite figure what you meant.

If it's the former, and they are just starting to bother you after months of dating, you might want to explore why.

Just six short days ago, you were posting how in love with him you are, how he's *the one."

Are you getting scared? Looking for things to sabotage it?

On the other hand, if he just started developing these bad habits, you might want to talk to him to determine why.....seems weird that all of a sudden, he would start wanting to eat crap.

No his always been like this but when we first started dating I didn't know the full extent of the problem. Actually he has gotten better since we been dating he says he eats things that his never eaten in his life bcuz of me and his also healthier. The first 2 months Id say he tried really hard to curb all his bad habits eg smoking. But now I think his comfortable his stopped working out, resumed eating junk and smoking heaps. and I feel like I'm nagging him to get his act together all the time.