To invite to concert or not to invite to concert?

JaneyJ1991

JaneyJ1991

My FAVORITE artist of all time is having a concert next week. I've been looking forward to this since February when it was announced. I don't make a lot of money, but I bought lawn tickets for my brother, his girlfriend and I. Because my brother, his girlfriend and I love country, and this singer in particular.

The thing I'm struggling with? I've been seeing this guy for 2 months, and on one hand, I feel like I should invite him/get him a ticket, but on the other hand, he's never mentioned liking country music, ever. And I've never caught him listening to it on the radio. And I'm a little conflicted because if things end, I don't want my only opportunity to see this guy in concert to be slightly saddened by the memory he was there with us.

But on the other hand, it feels super sneaky that I've been planning to go to this concert and never mentioned it to him. And if the tables were turned and I found out he was taking his sister to a concert, and didn't invite me or even think of me, I'd be a little sad.

So what do I do? Should I invite him? Should I get him a ticket? Or is it best to just explain this is something I've had plans to do for months? It's a drive, and it's on a night he typically works, too.

My FAVORITE artist of all time is having a concert next week. I've been looking forward to this since February when it was announced. I don't make a lot of money, but I bought lawn tickets for my brother, his girlfriend and I. Because my brother, his girlfriend and I love country, and this singer in particular.

The thing I'm struggling with? I've been seeing this guy for 2 months, and on one hand, I feel like I should invite him/get him a ticket, but on the other hand, he's never mentioned liking country music, ever. And I've never caught him listening to it on the radio. And I'm a little conflicted because if things end, I don't want my only opportunity to see this guy in concert to be slightly saddened by the memory he was there with us.

But on the other hand, it feels super sneaky that I've been planning to go to this concert and never mentioned it to him. And if the tables were turned and I found out he was taking his sister to a concert, and didn't invite me or even think of me, I'd be a little sad.

So what do I do? Should I invite him? Should I get him a ticket? Or is it best to just explain this is something I've had plans to do for months? It's a drive, and it's on a night he typically works, too.

You've only been dating 2 months. You don't owe him anything. And, I would especially not spend a lot of money on him yet. You are still an individual and have a life of your own. You don't have to explain, but if you say anything, simply say you're going with your brother to a concert.

If I'm dating someone for only two months, I don't expect to be included in everything they do and especially with family members. Meeting family at this point isn't the right time anyway.

If you are concerned things might end and that would give you a tainted memory if he attended the concert, things can't be very serious... not with your state of mind. Sounds like you might be spinning your wheels dating this guy.

ExpatInItaly

You're really over-thinking this. Go and have fun with your brother and his girlfriend. If this guy has never mentioned even liking country music, he probably wouldn't be interested in going anyway. I don't get why you think that's sneaky. It sounds to me more that you would feel it was sneaky if he did the same thing, so you're assuming his thought process is the same as yours.

Most people wouldn't really care if someone they're seeing spends a day with their family.

• Like 1

Concert tickets are expensive. This isn't some free thing in a local park. You got the tickets before you met him.

There is no reason to take him.

The only thing I might do is say to him that you are going & he's free to go get his own ticket & sit with you. But even then, you don't have to.

I met my husband at the end of July. Earlier that summer I had been lamenting with a friend that there's never anything good to do on New Year's Eve when you are single so she & I booked a girl's cruise. By the time I realized I really like DH & this was turning into something the cruise was sold out & I couldn't bail on my friend so I left DH home for our 1st NYE. It couldn't be helped. These plans were made before. Same thing with your guy except it's only 1 night.

Really it's not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. If you didn't have lawn seats there is no way you would be able to get him a ticket to sit with you anyway.

Express regret on the timing but leave him out of this one. Make a plan that perhaps you can go see this artist together next time that person plays your area.