I'm thinking of going to a meetup.com event....worth trying?

VedderisBetter

VedderisBetter

I joined meetup.com but have yet to make it to any events. I was thinking of going to a few bar trivia and karaoke events around town for one of the groups I'm in. What are the chances of meeting a decent girl at one of these? I recognized a girl going to the same Karaoke event I am going to from one of the dating sites I am on.

I decided to message her and tell her she looked familiar from a dating site. She admitted to trying a dating site out last year, and I guess it didn't work out. She didn't say that but I've noticed quite a few girls trying meetup as an alternative after trying online dating.

I told her I'm looking forward to seeing her at the Karaoke event and she said she's looking to go to a lot more events in the future and that she is looking forward to meeting me as well. I think I may have messaged this girl on the dating site sometime last year and she didn't respond for who knows what reason.

I don't get out a whole lot unless it's with family. I don't want to show up at one of the events and start talking to someone and give off a desperate vibe. I know it's better to be friends first. I'm getting a bit burnt out on online dating from either flakers or just no real connection. Do most people sign up for a New in Town 20/30's group to find a match or just friends?

My question is: Has anyone had any positive experiences including meeting a boyfriend/girlfriend from a meetup event/group? Much appreciated!

Edited by VedderisBetter
LookAtThisPOst

I'd give it a shot...human interaction is better than online. I've actually scored dates with women in person at the Meetups more so than online because the women there are at LEAST willing to talk to you. LOL.

I had to laugh though, there was this one woman who I had known for a while and had been a long time member that had this "I don't date anyone in Meetup" policy and that she PREFERS online dating.

I thought that was a bit regressive in nature, but I told her that I have grown to dislike it more and Meetup is pretty much my main means of Meeting other singles.

I'm supposing that she puts it in the same wheelhouse as dating co-workers, but I think it's just an excuse to keep people at a distance.

I joined meetup.com but have yet to make it to any events. I was thinking of going to a few bar trivia and karaoke events around town for one of the groups I'm in. What are the chances of meeting a decent girl at one of these? I recognized a girl going to the same Karaoke event I am going to from one of the dating sites I am on.

I decided to message her and tell her she looked familiar from a dating site. She admitted to trying a dating site out last year, and I guess it didn't work out. She didn't say that but I've noticed quite a few girls trying meetup as an alternative after trying online dating.

I told her I'm looking forward to seeing her at the Karaoke event and she said she's looking to go to a lot more events in the future and that she is looking forward to meeting me as well. I think I may have messaged this girl on the dating site sometime last year and she didn't respond for who knows what reason.

I don't get out a whole lot unless it's with family. I don't want to show up at one of the events and start talking to someone and give off a desperate vibe. I know it's better to be friends first. I'm getting a bit burnt out on online dating from either flakers or just no real connection. Do most people sign up for a New in Town 20/30's group to find a match or just friends?

My question is: Has anyone had any positive experiences including meeting a boyfriend/girlfriend from a meetup event/group? Much appreciated!

What do you mean, "what are the chances"? What difference would it make if we told you 10%, 50% or 80%? I don't get it. And how can we possibly know who else will be at this particular event?

If you want to go, then go. If not, then don't. But don't go with the attitude of getting dates from it. If you want dates then use a dating site or meet people in real life. If you want to have fun doing karaoke or a bar quiz, then go to a karaoke or bar quiz event.

Some meetup groups are full of horny guys looking for single chicks. Don't be that guy. If you want to pick up chicks then I would stick to the dedicated "singles" groups.

There is no chance you will meet anyone if you don't put yourself out there. MeetUp is a good 1st step. The venues you have chosen don't really lend themselves to conversation though. You can't talk to somebody over the noise of somebody else performing karaoke. It's not that easy to talk during a trivia game.

I had better luck connecting with people at meetup groups not set in nighttime bar settings. There were some hikes, a board game group, & a writing group.

As for contacting the girl attending the karaoke event because you saw her on a dating site, that could go either way. It feels stalkerish to me but that's why I was e-harmony rather than a free site because it freaked me out when men would tell my friend who worked as a bartender that they saw her on Match. Other people are not so bothered by it; let's hope she's in that category.

I met someone I had a summer fling with, 3 months and some change, at a meetup event.

I would say definitely go, but do not expect to get a girlfriend at the first meet. You have to go to several, then you get to know a group of people that you become friends with.

I've been to one meetup event so far (would like to go to more), they're pretty fun IMHO.

The group I joined was pretty welcoming to new people, and its a great way to make new friends.

Don't go with the objective of getting numbers from girls/dates - most people go for the social interaction, not as a dating service. Like an above poster said - its probably possible but you'd need to put some time in with the group or just get really lucky and hit it off with this person really well.

Some of the meetups ARE geared that way though, but they're usually labeled as "Singles" events.

devilish innocent

There are some groups geared specifically for people look for relationships. The others are geared toward making friends or getting out of the house and having fun. That doesn't mean you might not meet somebody. It could be a low-key way to meet people. I think that can sometimes work out better than the pressure you'd have from an on-line dating site.

I went to a few meetup events years ago when I was just looking to make friends rather than start a relationship. The first group I tried was for playing a card game. It was a small group and mostly couples so you probably wouldn't have run into what you're looking for there. The second group I went to was for 20-somethings. That had a lot more people. I just went once or twice but ended up in a pretty long conversation with somebody who seemed really cute, intelligent, and kind-hearted. I happened to be in a relationship, but if I hadn't been I would have pursued him. I think the age group one can be a good way to meet more people which can increase your chances of finding a relationship.

• Author
VedderisBetter

Yeah it's a new in town 20s/30s group but plenty are not new in town like myself in the group. I'm Youngstown tubing tomorrow with like 9 or 10 people.there will be there guys there in total and like 4 cute girls.

I go from time to time it's a low pressure way to meet people. I've met a couple that I've then seen outside of meetup. Generally, it's not considered cool to treat it like a dating site. It's more like getting to know people in real life, which is nice.

I'll tell you, some of the online women that seem awesome are a LOT less intimidating when you meet them in person at a meetup!

If you begin to hit it off with someone you can contact them outside of the group including using the convenient messaging that comes with the meetup events. But nobody knows you're online, which I find refreshing.

Treat it as a way to have fun and meet people and you'll do better, as if there's nothing on the line, because there really isn't unless you try hard to make it that way.

I'm much older than 20/30 and my impression is that the 20/30s group are much more dating oriented and there's a good deal of predatory dynamic coming from a few guys.

I'm told (by a female friend who's done it) that when all-female meetup groups get together, of all ages, the talk often turns to who the creepy guys are (usually few).

A couple who met from one of my new in town meetups just got married last year. Don't expect pairing up to happen at a typical "meet for dinner" event. More likely, you make some friends who end up throwing a house party a couple months down the road. The house party is where things get naughty.