Should I pay for her time?

SycamoreCircle

SycamoreCircle

I've just returned from a month long trip on the Mediterranean with an invigorated sense of life and pleasure.

Today, I decided to flirt with a woman in the gym. Yes, she just so happened to be a Personal Trainer hired by the gym. I wasn't necessarily fishing for a date. She was an attractive younger woman. She asked me personal questions and talked about her passion for surfing. We talked about other subjects: food, our heritage, how long we'd lived in the city, extreme sports. She asked me how often I came to the gym. There were jokes about being more committed, laying off of ice cream, etc.

I don't remember exactly how it was worded, but she put my number in her phone and set up a meeting time tomorrow for us to "work on my core". Then, she said, maybe I can get you to go surfing with me.

I just played along. I made the joke of "boy, did I make a mistake talking to a PT, now I have to exercise" sorta thing.

I'll meet her tomorrow for the workout, but did I just get lured into a session with her? I'm an attractive man and she has smiled at me in the past. I thought we were flirting. Should I slip her money at the end tomorrow? Again, I wasn't really trying for anything, just friendly conversation with an attractive woman. I didn't make out that I was looking for a PT, but I know time is money for her.

What would you advise?

Do not slip her money.

Let her bring up the topic on her own. Usually trainers will give you a free session to get you hooked. If that's the case, the onus of "charging" is on her, not you.

This way you save face no matter what the outcome.

If she thinks this is a business arrangement it is incumbent upon her to make that clear. It may be a free sample. If you are uncomfortable assuming, ask up front if she thinks you are a client.

Don't ask upfront if you are a client... if she happens to like you and you ask that, you might ruin any sexual tension.

Just let her bring it up. Trust me, if it is a sales pitch and a free trial, SHE WILL LET YOU KNOW.

• Like 4
  • Author
SycamoreCircle

Yesterday, I arrived at a little before 1 for my appointment with the trainer. 1 came. 1 went. 1:10 came. Life started giving me everything to make lemonade. Around 1:30 I spotted her across the weight room talking to a member. Around 1:40 my workout was winding down, when she walked up. "Hey C, I tried texting you my GPS got a ticket blah blah then blah I'm going to contest it blah blah because blah blah I was parked on the wrong blah blah did you get my text?"

"I didn't have my phone on me."

"Oh, well would you still like to do the session?"

"Uh, yeah, but could we do it Lite?"

"No, I need you at 150%."

"Yeah, that might not be for a while."

"Okay, how about Monday at 9am?"

"Um, Monday, sure I'm free."

"OK, I'm really sorry."

When I got home I saw that she had indeed left a text at 12:45 saying "I'm parking."

I guess I should give her the benefit of the doubt. But the more this continues, the more it sounds like this is business to her and not a very well run business.

It's business. As a PT, she can't risk her job by trying to hook up with clients. Just think of the potential consequences such as a jealous ex coming in to work out and seeing her touch another client as she is training him. He could think that maybe she is into the other guy now. It could get ugly. She is called a "professional" trainer for a reason. Now a back alley trainer would gladly screw you in the pool.

• Author
SycamoreCircle

You're right. And thankfully, because of her flakiness, I can return the flake and back out of some miserable "core training".

This does present another problem: there's a PT there that I'd really like to start something with. We've played a few matches of eyeball tennis. With this awareness that a PT won't risk herself professionally, how to approach?