Anybody ever dated someone with a big age gap?

Black Cement

Black Cement

I'm curious because I met this girl who is 19, I'm 27. It feels kinda weird to date a teenager. She's into me, & I like her too. I'm just use to women my age or older..

nofeelings22
I'm curious because I met this girl who is 19, I'm 27. It feels kinda weird to date a teenager. She's into me, & I like her too. I'm just use to women my age or older..

Current serious girlfriend is 22. I'm pushing 40. We are having a fantastic time.

• Like 2

I like to think age is but a number, but sometimes the gap can be too large in my opinion.

• Like 2

I think it depends on the age of both involved.

Age gaps can put a real strain on a relationship if it develops in to a long term one as one gets older.

I'm just out of a 2.5y RS with the same age configuration (at the beginning). You'll probably find that she isn't completely matured yet. This lack of maturity can show itself in many different ways, so YMMV. There's nothing that makes an RS like this impossible though. Go with the flow, call her out on BS, like in any other RS, if you should find her BSing you.

When I was 23, I got involved with a man in his mid thirties. It was a serious relationship that lasted several years. However, I ended it because as I got older and more mature, he seemed less mature to me.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

the only time i have gone out of my age bracket was in my teens when i dated a man more than 1/4 century older than me...but i am an old soul..he tried to buy me too many things and dress me up to suit his horse crowd he was wealthy, that made me feel like a pet not a companion.

i am shy of dating younger men because i feel they would not have the strength to handle me and sex is out.....younger men are attracted to me...but its more sexual....the relationship i had in my teens with the older guy ....was one that included celibacy we would go to the opera and theater art galleries and museums and the conservation and natural beauty of the outdoors was a shared passion...he also was highly intelligent and a self made man...started with nothing and i was a street kid living in a womans refuge for drug addicts and hookers(without an addiction myself) the only place i could get a bed for a while it was preferrable to have a bed there than be on the street for a little ewhile...this older man saw me for how i was and encouraged potential in me.......deb....

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 2
Current serious girlfriend is 22. I'm pushing 40. We are having a fantastic time.

I wonder if it's the "fantastic" aka "fun" time you're having that is attractive to you right now. Do you seriously see yourself going toe to toe with her interests, crowds, etc. in the future? What do YOU mean by "serious?"

My gf, who is a year younger, thinks I could easily date women half my age. Yup, there are a number of physical reasons to do so, but far fewer intellectual, maturity, cultural reason to do so. Tighter butts, flatter tummies, less wrinkles... nah...never really entertained the idea of going beyond 7/8 years younger...plenty of beautiful women my age (40s) who are sexier, more adventurous, smarter and just spankin' hot! :)

It varies from situation to situation. Everybody reaches maturity at different points in their lives. A 19 year old can easily be more mature and responsible than a 30 year old. However, many times younger girls tend to date older men because it's "cool" too. I am 22 and currently dating a 34 year old. There are no problems, we get along great. However, I deliberately look to date older men as I consider myself to be more mature than most girls my age as I have experienced a lot more than a typical 22 year old would. When I was 20 I was dating a 27 year old, and that was an amazing 2 year relationship, but at the same time he was out of that "partying" stage so it wasn't a big problem that I wasn't of drinking age yet. It would probably be a bigger problem if let's say you were in your early 20s and enjoyed going out and partying every weekend and she couldn't join you. Again, it really depends on your unique situation. If your interests match, personalities click and you have a good time together - go for it.

why is it always older man and younger woman? and why is it common for double-digit age ages when the man is siginificantly older than the woman?

That was just my personal experience - I can not speak for anyone else. In my situation it is because it is difficult to find a man my age with similar drive, beliefs, view on life, etc.. Someone in their 20s who is not focused on partying, one night stands, who knows exactly who they are and are confident to express it, and who are well independently established financially, physically and mentally through their personal experiences. (I consider to be all of those). I have no doubt it works both ways, for both sexes. Unfortunately, many of those relationships you are referring to aren't typically based on these credentials, but on sex, money, and power instead.

I am 37, just set a date with a 20 year old.

Even though we have alot in common and he can carry a conversation better than most men my age I'm feeling doubt. Thinking what the hell am I doing...I'm so much older. Afraid to say anything to my friends, and we discuss everything.

Saw him away from his work today and had to avoid him. I feel like a creepy old woman. I

One of my friends is 45 married to a 25 y old. They get along. The only problem is that everytime she opens her mouth, I can see the age gap showing. On their pics he looks like her dad. I'm thinking that's my point of view and my problem. They seem happy, that's what matters.

• Like 1
why is it always older man and younger woman? and why is it common for double-digit age ages when the man is siginificantly older than the woman?

When women are over 40, many of us prefer younger men.

I'm 30. Dated a 20 year old recently. We split up due to not having enough in common, but that wasn't age related, we were just into very different things.

todreaminblue
well thats nice, great to know but it seems most women over 40 are turned off by younger men

i think its common for some women to feel creepy when considering dating a younger guy, we are meant to nurture younger men not be attracted to them even though they are often attracted to me.i think it smre sex and the way i dance..i have only been attracted to one younger....deb

Honestly, to me age is just a number.

Granted, some people (even when at a younger age, although this is rare.) are more mature than others and thus ahead of their age.

More on topic: My cousin recently got married to an older guy she's known for years. She's 25 and he's 39. Honestly, I don't see an issue with that.

To me, such an age difference is still acceptable. However if someone was in their mid to late 40s that would be too much of a difference to me.

That was just my personal experience - I can not speak for anyone else. In my situation it is because it is difficult to find a man my age with similar drive, beliefs, view on life, etc.. Someone in their 20s who is not focused on partying, one night stands, who knows exactly who they are and are confident to express it, and who are well independently established financially, physically and mentally through their personal experiences. (I consider to be all of those). I have no doubt it works both ways, for both sexes. Unfortunately, many of those relationships you are referring to aren't typically based on these credentials, but on sex, money, and power instead.

/Wave. I'm right here. :p

I honestly think that in my circle of friends I'm the only one who doesn't care for the party scene, casual sex, ONS, etc.

I've faced enough adversity to consider those both physically and mentally established, heh.

Well I'm still lacking with regards to the financially established bit.

Still hard to find a job given recent graduation atm lol. :/

Edited by Teraskas
  • Like 1

Age isn't your problem. The life situation / experience is the issue. You are an adult. She's barely out of high school. While you should be thinking about 401(k)s & getting a jump start on your retirement while saving for a house, she should be thinking about sorority rush & her next final.

• Like 2
/Wave. I'm right here. :p

I honestly think that in my circle of friends I'm the only one who doesn't care for the party scene, casual sex, ONS, etc.

I've faced enough adversity to consider those both physically and mentally established, heh.

Well I'm still lacking with regards to the financially established bit.

Still hard to find a job given recent graduation atm lol. :/

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/14/aa/d8/14aad8e8a78eaf089d4744f3b0d6130a.jpg

• Like 1

The older you both get, the less the age difference will matter, and it will be a decreasing percentage difference as well.

However, someone who is 19 may not have the life experience to make good relationship decisions. She may be into you now, but will her view and preferences change in 5 or 6 years? Quite possibly. Also, what about college plans? Did you earn a college degree? If you did, and she does not, will that eventually matter because of her limited employment prospects, for example?

This is a time of huge life changes and growth - it can be a time to make huge mistakes, too! Be thoughtful and take it slow.

DarkKnight1
When I was around 30 I dated a 19 year old. It was a lot of fun until she started talking. I couldn't do it. Broke things off with her after a couple weeks.

:laugh: lool

When I was 23 I was with a guy who was 38. We were together for 4 years. My last serious boyfriend was 9 years older than me. I was far more mature than either of them. :)

I've always dated guys who are older than me and I've never found it to be an issue. I do think there's a difference between 19 and 23 though..I'm not sure she's ready for someone your age. I feel like you could end up with a GIGS situation.

More socially accepted even today.

OP, try to analyze less and enjoy more. If you have a good time with the young lady, just keep showing up. Either it works out or it doesn't. Relevant to age-gap relationships, I happen to have an aunt whose husband was exactly you and she married him at 18 and they were married for 56 years until he died. Met her when she was 16 and just kept showing up. This was common after WW2 and probably not indicative of modern day custom but shows the basic dynamic. Back then, they didn't worry about all this psychological stuff. See girl, like girl, date girl, marry girl, make little girls and boys. When the old fart died, they were well into the third generation. Aunt is still alive in her 80's and took up with a widower and is having the time of her life. Live life. Good luck.

Michelle ma Belle

I'm 45 and my current boyfriend is 32 (13 years difference).

It works perfectly for US because of our maturity levels (I'm very young at heart and he's an old soul) and what we're looking for from a partner and in a relationship. We're completely in sync when it comes to the things that truly matter to each of us.

Unfortunately that isn't the case with many relationships with particularly with massive age gaps. As much as I'm a believer that age is "just a number", I do strongly believe that the success of any age gap regardless of how small or big hinges on each person individually and what you are looking for from that union.

• Like 2