Pre-date confirmation

avoforastig

avoforastig

Due to some recent flaking, I was wondering if anyone finds a pre-date confirmation, such as the day before or earlier the same day, to be beneficial? If so, what is more useful? I'm just tired of wasting time/energy on flakes.

I've always gone into such interactions as two responsible adults meeting to enjoy each other's company and only made interim contact if something came up and a reschedule was necessary (rare!). Early dates were always at a place/doing something I enjoyed and I can enjoy them with or without the company of an otherwise stranger. Of course, one 'flake' and the stranger is binned so there's really no downside that I can see.

The younger generations who appear to be joined at the hip by their smartphones may have a differing perspective on such matters and 'checking up' on a potential date could be within the realm of their normal behaviors. If you find yourself amongst that group, then shoot them a quick and flirty text day of. One, IMO. That's enough.

I'd confirm early in the day if you were meeting after work or in the evening. That might nip some last minute flakes in the bud.

• Like 1

I always make sure a meet up is going to happen on the day a few hours beforehand.

If I hear nothing from them I will send a quick text.

If that doesn't get a reply in enough time to get ready to be at the arranged venue I don't go and will have made other plans.

It's only happened once to me that I sent a text that morning and got no reply. He did reply about 4 hours later but by the time he replied I had arranged to do something else and was on my way to a free music festival in London for the day.

I normally firm up the day before or the morning of with a quick - "hey hope all is going well with you. Are you still good for (time and location). Really looking forward to seeing you!"

Just smart with the busy lives we lead.

d0nnivain

especially if it's somebody I didn't previously know IRL, I always reached out earlier the day of to confirm. As much as I rail against it for conversations, this is an instance where I think texting is a marvelous tool!

• Author
avoforastig
How many times have you been flaked on?

The issue may not be them...

I've had maybe 4-5 flakes over the past 10 months, but 2 recently. What would I do to influence a flake?

I went ahead and sent a confirmation text to firm things up a time as a 30 minute starting time window was left open to meet tomorrow. E.g. Let's meet around 830-9. No response yet though

• Author
avoforastig
I normally firm up the day before or the morning of with a quick - "hey hope all is going well with you. Are you still good for (time and location). Really looking forward to seeing you!"

Just smart with the busy lives we lead.

I sent the day before text to narrow down a meeting time, if there is no response, what then?

• Author
avoforastig
I sent the day before text to narrow down a meeting time, if there is no response, what then?

Could the confirmation text be negatively perceived in any way?

Could the confirmation text be negatively perceived in any way?

Er...course it could be..it would depend upon the dynamics you have and what is written.

It is also better to confirm on the day, not the day before tbh.

• Like 1