Best way to deal with emotional distance?

copperlily

My boyfriend of 1 1/2 yrs has been increasingly emotionally distant lately. I don't know what brought it on and he can be a difficult to read guy at times. I know that he's been contacting other people in his life, just not me. Do you think I should just give him the space he apparently needs and hope that he starts missing me? I don't want to lose him to someone else but I also don't want to seem clingy. I don't know what to do.

acrosstheuniverse

Have you asked him what's wrong and why he is being distant?

Sometimes people do act distant when they have major life events going on (serious illness, a bereavement etc.) but 99% of the time, a partner going distant on you means that they're losing interest or having doubts abuot the relationship. Sorry to be so pessimistic but most people in healthy relationships who encounter difficulties in their lives go to their partner for support, or at the very least let them know why they're acting differently and let them know that it isn't about them. If your boyfriend is acting less into you, and you can't pinpoint a reason, I would brace yourself for a split.

Sorry you're going through that; I think be true to yourself. You are concerned and feeling bad, so don't just pretend not to be.

Ask him if he feels that there is distance between you and listen to what he says.

Do you love him? Do you feel loved by him?

If not, maybe spend some time away from him and think over what you really want from a partner.