Terrified of awkward situations

DazedAndConfused15

DazedAndConfused15

I've always had trouble approaching girls. I've never known why, so I always just told myself that it's a deep-down fear of rejection. However, I've come to realize that I'm just horrified of awkward situations. Whenever I try to approach a girl 1 on 1 it's usually pretty awkward, and I'm not that awkward of a person! I just always get so nervous and never know how to react, verbally and with body language. How do I escape this fear?

It's totally normal to loath awkward situations. I don't know a single person who enjoys them. Nor do I know anyone who particularly gets off on rejection... it's a ****ty feeling!

But you can't let those fears stop you from getting what you want. My advice? Learn to recognize when you're letting this fear hold you back, and make it a point to "act as if" you're courageous and confident when you feel this fear.

When you see a pretty girl at the cafe and you are afraid to say hello? Notice your fear, then "pretend" you're a confident guy and go right up and introduce yourself.

It's going to be awkward. You're going to not know what to say, and you might get rejected. A lot. But with patience, practice, and most importantly learning how to cope with feeling awkward, you will eventually learn how to be confident even in the face of your fears.

I think everyone feels awkward when they're approaching someone to date.... but the most skilled daters have developed a certain tolerance for awkward situations that allows them to keep their cool through it all.

edit to add: for what it's worth, sometimes what you might think comes of as "awkward" is really truly endearing. When I was younger I got approached a lot by "awkward" guys... and I always thought it was really sweet. I even dated a couple of them.