Awkwardness on next date following the first kiss date

Lansing

I met this girl recently and we have gotten along well. Really good chemistry, laughing, conversation, etc. On the 3rd date I kissed her at the end of the night, I wasn't 100% sure what kind of vibe she was giving off but I figured if she is accepting invites to go out it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary for me to try at least.

Our next date after that was about a week after. I felt like there was a bit more distance between us. I don't know if I was just reading too much into it or looking for signs but for example at one point we sat down on a bench and she put her purse in between us.

I talked to a female friend about it after and she said that she often feels awkward on that date after a guy first kisses her because she isn't sure if the guy regretted it and just wants to be friends or how she should act/behave (like, should she kiss on initial greetings on that following date, etc).

I guess part of me was feeling that things would be more comfortable on that following date and I was disappointed that it seemed like there was more distance. I know in retrospect I should have made more of an effort to break that barrier again but because I perceived a "distance" from her I got into my own head a bit and started seeing things more as her not being interested.

I am curious to hear about other people's experiences with this type of thing. I guess part of me didn't want to "impose" myself on her and get all touchy feely. In retrospect I realize that she might have been looking for more re-assurances from me of my interest.

I can't say that I have ever experienced what you are talking about. After the 1st kiss many barriers are broken & I feel closer to the person, not more awkward. I can't imagine wondering if some guy who kissed me was now regretting it because he just wanted to be my friend. I don't go around kissing my friends like that. I assume that if he kissed me, he's interested in me.

Did you kiss her again during or after the date following the 1st kiss? if you did not, that's the source of the tension. She's trying to figure out why you are going backwards. I would have expected a kiss hello at that point.

SunnySide0418

The way I am is I would have wanted him to say something about the kiss as in that was so nice or I really liked kissing you .. something to let me know how he's feeling. If it was talked about at all I think that may cause some awkwardness on her part. Also, I would have expected to be greeted with a kiss. If I wasn't I would be confused. I think you as the man are responsible for that. Or hold her hand, put your arm around her. Show some affection I think that will help her relax and open up. JMO.

• Author

No, I didn't kiss her again (the kiss was at the end of the previous date).

I should have probably did something but I guess I was overanalyzing things and thinking she was distancing herself. I felt like I had already broken the barrier and the least she could have done is reciprocate some physical touch :)

I will try to set up another date and be more physical with her and see how she reacts.