Outdoorsy Type VS. Indoorsy Type

napy666

I have always been an indoors type of person. Yeah I like the outdoors going for walks, or a picnic at the park or running and playing in the park etc.

But I'm not one for the beaches, hiking, biking, traveling, camping, sailing in the boats, flying in the planes, etc etc etc.

And I am not willing to try any of this because it's just not me. I prefer concerts, or book shops or the library, poetry readings, or hanging at the malls, or at home, etc.

So what should I do when I come across a guy WHO IS INTO THE OUTDOORSY type of stuff and I AM NOT?

Should I pass him bye or what?

If you don't pass him by, he'll likely pass you by if he's truly the outdoorsy type, as you're incompatible.

• Like 1

Not necessarily, one of the happiest married couples I know is exactly this way. Some people are adamant that an SO be more like them in hobbies, and some are not. Look for guys who are seeking a complementary SO to themselves.

sillyanswer

So what should I do when I come across a guy WHO IS INTO THE OUTDOORSY type of stuff and I AM NOT?

Is he hot? How hot? ;)

Im an outdoorsy type and theres no way in hell id date a girl who wasn't! - it wouldn't be fun would it? all I want to do it be camping, take taking the boat out, hiking, down on the beach, playing sport and as much as you don't want to do those things I don't want to go shopping, indoor groups or whatever else so we'd basically never see each other!

the most important part of a house for me is the garden.

Personally im claustrophobic to boot so I really hate being shut indoors when I don't have to be - makes me edgy.

Like i'll go to concerts with a mate if they ask me but its not something im mad about....camping at a festival however - now that I love, im so much more relaxed outside of four walls!

Not necessarily, one of the happiest married couples I know is exactly this way. Some people are adamant that an SO be more like them in hobbies, and some are not. Look for guys who are seeking a complementary SO to themselves.

True I guess!

My idea of a good relationship is to be able to do the things I love with my gf but some guys are happy to segregate gf and mates/hobbies

Depends how willing you are to make it work with someone that different from you. If both sides compromise, it can be fruitful. For how long, that depends. Some stuff is too great to overcome.

What do you mean by SO?

It's board shorthand for "significant other," a catchall for someone a poster is dating, in a relationship with, cohabiting with or married to...

And I am not willing to try any of this because it's just not me.

Obviously. How fulfilled is this guy going to be with you when you flat out refuse to even TRY any of those things because they're "not you" ?

At least give something a shot before you flat out hate on it. Keys to successful relationships is compromise. You seem to be unable to do that, so move it along. Find someone who just sits inside.

happywithlife

I'm definitely an outdoor girl and think it's an important compatibility issue. I'm the type of person who would rather be out in a snowstorm trekking through the woods than strolling through the mall or playing a computer game. And while I have my own hobbies, I love sharing the love the outdoors with my boyfriend. Dates are so much more fun if you are both really into what you are doing. And the common interest gives us something to bond over so that our date nights are focused on things like the kids, bills, etc. Plus I don't think an indoors type of guy would find my bug bites and bush whacking scratches very sexy!

• Like 1

H is a runner and team sport player. I'm a home fitness person who loves to ski. We make it work without any problems at all.

But we do share other hobbies and interests, as well as believe in keeping body and mind healthy.

I have always been an indoors type of person. Yeah I like the outdoors going for walks, or a picnic at the park or running and playing in the park etc.

But I'm not one for the beaches, hiking, biking, traveling, camping, sailing in the boats, flying in the planes, etc etc etc.

And I am not willing to try any of this because it's just not me. I prefer concerts, or book shops or the library, poetry readings, or hanging at the malls, or at home, etc.

Yes...

As you two will not be compatible and you're unwilling to try.

Why waste time?

How can anyone not wanna go to the beach?!

Anyway, it can def work. I'm not outdoorsy at all. I'd rather be at the mall than the mountains. My bf is the opposite. He loves rock climbing, hiking, camping etc. I've told him I'd go camping with him.....hiking and whatnot I'm not interested in. I mean there is definitely a middle ground, we have found it. I am willing to try things he likes, and he will tailer them to my skill/comfort level and then maybe veer off a bit on his own. Like, a few weekends ago we went to a cliff jumping place...obv I'm not gonna do that but I waded around and let him do his thing. He went back the next day by himself, it's all good. He got to do more by himself but at least I put in the effort. why aren't you even willing to give it a go?

miss_jaclynrae

Depends on your willingness and how often he likes to do such things.

I am outdoorsy, far more than my BF is. It became pretty apparent when we did a lake day with the family. We all wanted to go exploring and my man was definitely NOT having a blast! :laugh:

Hiking and getting hit in the face with branches, I love it all... him not so much.

He did it though, and tried to have fun.

It was enough for me.

:love:

He knows that I love it, so he plays along, just like how on certain things I don't like them but I'll still do it because I know he does.

Just sorta depends on the level of ourdoorsy the person is.

I would call myself a rather extreme outdoorsy person... meaning, if there is any chance of being outside doing something fun, that is where I am.

For me, there is no way it would work long term with someone who was a homebody or indoors person. Now, if they wanted to stay in to clean and make meals for me all the time, maybe I'd give that a try :p Since I'm a girl though, I'm pretty sure that won't be happening. ha ha

Heck, I haven't been to the mall in at least 5 years... and the only reason I did was to see a movie at someone else's request.

• Like 2

Of all the problems you two can have this is not worst it would be if he was club hopper and drinking games player and you religious and conservative girl.

Compromise is wonderful word and thing to do and as long as you both try to accept and appreciate each other differences it could work ...

sillyanswer

Important questions I think I'll add to my first dates:

How many tents do you own?

Do you have sleeping bags for all seasons?

Do you own more pairs of heels or more pairs of walking/hiking boots?

:D

Of all the problems you two can have this is not worst it would be if he was club hopper and drinking games player and you religious and conservative girl.

Compromise is wonderful word and thing to do and as long as you both try to accept and appreciate each other differences it could work ...

But theres compromise and then theres just plain incompatibility!

YOu only live once - I do believe if you cant compromise you'll never be happy but I also don't think you should waste your life compromising where you don't have to, in most cases both partners would surely be happier with someone they share more with, in the long run.

I also think indoors vs outdoors is about more than that - I think it hints at some pretty different core values. Like even if a couple can compromise what happens when you / if you have kids - and you have pretty different view on how kids should be brough up.

I guess to an extent if someones a bit outdoorsy and there SO is a bit indoorsy its less of an issue but if were talking extremes (which I would class myself as) then its not going to work, in like what 97% of cases probably.

• Author

Hahaha yeah I would prefer someone whos into what I like and stuff. And this new guy I was talking too I haven't heard from him since we last spoke on Thursday. So who knows if this guy even still likes me hahahaha.