Women who would you rather date: 10 years older or 10 years younger?

Eternal Sunshine

It really makes no difference to me. There are so many other important factors, age really isn't any kind of deal breaker for me at all.

• Like 1

If I date someone 10 years younger that means I'm dating someone in high school, so never.

Honestly I don't think I'd ever date a younger guy period. I've just never been attracted to them. I like a man with experience and wisdom; I find that sexy. Younger guys just don't have that (yet).

• Like 2

I'm 26. Not dating a 16-year-old boy. I'd prefer a man at least 5 years older. Ten or eleven years older is my upper limit, probably.

Southern Cal Dude

My last ex went 3 years lower to me(she was 26 and I was 23). I thought I'd be getting a more mature woman at that age. Boy was I wrong.

• Like 1

If you want a relationship, and you're focusing on non-relationship qualities (like age), then you probably are going to struggle.

• Like 2

It would depend on my own age and where I am in life. At 32 (my current age) I would most definitely not go for a 22 year-old, we would be at totally different phases in life and likely looking for completely opposite things out of a relationship. But at 38 or 39 dating someone 28/29ish would be more credible in terms of what we both wanted from a such a partnership.

10 years younger than me would be 16 - he'd not only be not legal :laugh:, but he also sure as hell isn't going to be wanting a LTR!

ES, are you pondering this yourself, or is this just a fun question? :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
10 years younger than me would be 16 - he'd not only be not legal :laugh:, but he also sure as hell isn't going to be wanting a LTR!

ES, are you pondering this yourself, or is this just a fun question? :)

Nope, nothing to do with my life. It was just in abstract :)

Personally, it's too much in either direction for me.

Ah, yes, ditto. I've always found my Rs to naturally develop within a close age range.

If I absolutely HAD to choose, though, yeah, I'd go for 10 years older, for the abovementioned reasons. :o

• Like 1
Cougaryoungerman

I think when it comes to things like age, it shouldn't matter. I have dated, younger, older and my own age. I personally haven't gone any younger then 4 years and older then 8 years. I think though when you find real love none of that matters.

Well I can't legally date a 12 year old and don't think his parents will approve.

I rather date someone 8 years older and 1 year younger

I'm in my 30s+single+nokids, so I won't date older women. Most are married and have kids etc. My target these days is 25-30. I'll even date 30s too but again most are married with kids and right now I'm not dating women with kids (tried it two times and it was a disaster).

I've tried dating older women and it doesn't work out. It's the women that have a problem with it, not me. Women just seem to jell better if the guy they are with is older. Must be a biological thing.

I don't think a few years in terms of age gap either way is a big deal. I do think a 10 year gap where the guy is younger won't work. I know a girl in her 30s dating a 20 year old male and it's sad. He just doesn't have the maturity yet and she's frustrated.

Edited by SuperGeek
desperategirl
I'm in my 30s+single+nokids, so I won't date older women. Most are married and have kids etc. My target these days is 25-30. I'll even date 30s too but again most are married with kids and right now I'm not dating women with kids (tried it two times and it was a disaster).

I've tried dating older women and it doesn't work out. It's the women that have a problem with it, not me. Women just seem to jell better if the guy they are with is older. Must be a biological thing.

I don't think a few years in terms of age gap either way is a big deal. I do think a 10 year gap where the guy is younger won't work. I know a girl in her 30s dating a 20 year old male and it's sad. He just doesn't have the maturity yet and she's frustrated.

Funnily enough, I've tried dating a few guys who are five years + older (I'm 31, so 36 to 38 year olds). I don't know if I'm an exceptionally immature indivdual, but I click better with guys who are my age or younger. I probably wouldn't date ten years younger, but five years younger sounds great to me.

• Like 1

Yea possibly. I just know 10 years older is unlikely.

• Like 2

Well it's hardly a question you guys don't know my answer to, of course I would rather have a relationship with 10+yrs younger than older. I now get the maturity difference (I didn't when I first came to LS), so I can now understand wanting someone my own age or older, but given the choice, I would still take younger.

I would have an easier time finding someone who shares my interests in a much younger age group than a much older one. And I am not particularly excited about the prospect of becoming someones nurse/maid just yet.

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
Funnily enough, I've tried dating a few guys who are five years + older (I'm 31, so 36 to 38 year olds). I don't know if I'm an exceptionally immature indivdual, but I click better with guys who are my age or younger. I probably wouldn't date ten years younger, but five years younger sounds great to me.

I think I could be immature too because I also click better with younger men. Older men are too serious for me. But I also think of myself as mature so WTF

• Like 2
I think I could be immature too because I also click better with younger men. Older men are too serious for me. But I also think of myself as mature so WTF

Maybe it's the playful part? So many people become serious and dour as they get older. It's not maturity, just giving up.

• Like 3

Maybe it's the playful part? So many people become serious and dour as they get older. It's not maturity, just giving up.

Even younger people can be too serious. It's like lots of people don't get that you can take care of your responsibilities and deal with crisis' etc, but you don't need to stay in serious mode constantly. Personally I deal with whatever need dealing with and then back to fun mode.

It was actually an older man that taught me this.

Interestingly giving that the topic is 10 yrs in either direction, I have always got along better with people at least 15yrs age difference in both directions. And have never really had friends in my own age range. So I guess it makes sense for me to think in relationships in term of such huge age gaps as well, because if I wouldn't want to be friends with someone my age, why would I want a relationship with someone my own age?

• Like 2

Interestingly giving that the topic is 10 yrs in either direction, I have always got along better with people at least 15yrs age difference in both directions. And have never really had friends in my own age range. So I guess it makes sense for me to think in relationships in term of such huge age gaps as well, because if I wouldn't want to be friends with someone my age, why would I want a relationship with someone my own age?

I didn't think of it this way, interesting. Most of my friends are younger (though not all) but I've always thought it was more to do with the fact that I'm not settled and have no interest in kids. ie that I get out and about more while married people with children don't.

I didn't think of it this way, interesting. Most of my friends are younger (though not all) but I've always thought it was more to do with the fact that I'm not settled and have no interest in kids. ie that I get out and about more while married people with children don't.

Stage of life can be a factor, I was married with kids when most young people are going to university. But even as a teenager, I would either be sitting with the adults listening to their conversation, or hanging out with the toddlers.

• Like 1
desperategirl

Yep, me too. I'm not sure what it is that makes me click better with younger guys on the whole. It's only very recently that I've realised I don't seem to 'click' as well with guys who are a few years older.

It's possible that guys that are that bit older are expecting something they aren't getting from me. I mean, I'm divorced, creative industry, maybe I'm just not as solid as they'd expect, and that means we don't click? I seem to have more fun with slightly younger men, it's weird.

• Like 4

I think it's too much either way. I've preferred the idea of someone around my own age, and have resented being told that I should be dating men within ten years of my age (older than I am), when my eyeing up men in their twenties would have me branded something not very nice.

• Like 4