Newly single

I'm 26 and just ended a year long relationship. It's tougher than I thought it would be. Although I have many very concrete reasons to end it, I actually let it go further than most would, I do miss her. I'm trying to get back out there. I joined match.com and went on a date last Wednesday. We met for a glass of wine, I thought it went really well. Conversation rolled effortlessly, we had a lot in common and quite frankly I think she liked me. She gave me her phone number at the end and said to use that so we wouldn't have to use match.com's message thing. She went out of town last weekend but we texted back and forth a little bit on Friday night. Then I asked her to meet Monday evening for a drink and she said she had plans with a girl friend that she could not càncel. I said noting on Tuesday. Wednesday (yesterday) afternoon I texted her asking how her week was going and she responded, and we texted back and forth a little bit.

Any suggestions on my next move? Trying to figure it out.

I would ask her one more time. If she is interested and has plans then she will suggest another day/date. If she does not, move on.

MidwestUSA

When she said she had plans Monday, you should have asked about Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc. Pin her down to a day while you're on topic. If she has an excuse for every day, you would have had a definite answer as to whether she is interested.

• Author

It was a match.com date. Like I said, in new to it, but don't you think she would have just ignored me or not given me her number if she were not interested. God being single sucks more than I remember. I thought my ex was the one. She turned out to have some stuff in her past she lied about and has a pathological lieing problem now. It's hard leaving someone you love because your forced to do so.

She sounds interested (she's replying to you) but you need to ask her out again! "I'd like to see you this weekend, are you free for dinner on Saturday?" If she says no, ask if there's another day that would work better. If she doesn't offer an alternative then you're done.

But like I said - she's replying to your texts, she sounds interested - she probably thinks you aren't that interested, to be honest. Also, Thursday is on the late side to ask her for Saturday (I usually have weekend plans by Wednesday) so you may have to be flexible.