Anybody using or have used virtual reality dating?

JourneyLady

JourneyLady

I'm in a virtual world and having a pretty good time, although there don't seem to be a lot of people there yet. I just started with it to spend time while waiting until I move. I just didn't feel motivated to meet new people locally since I won't be here in my town much longer...

So I was wondering (after reading an article about virtual world dating) if anyone here has done that and what their experience has been.

When I was married, part of that time, my ex-husband would sometimes meet me for lunch "dates" in virtual reality while he was at work. (Shouldn't have stopped doing that -- he starting meeting someone else in RL for lunch dates!). We had several online homes together and pooled resources. I really enjoyed that and took "photos" of some of our places. One of them was constructed to resemble our real house.

I have some friends I have met in real life first and now communicate with them only on line. Some friends I have met online first and later met in real life -- and some that I will meet in real life a bit later on.

So I am curious if anyone here dates in a virtual world. Seems like a better interaction than just straight texting, although not a replacement for skype or meeting in real life... But a way to have fun together if you are at a distance.

:p

outsidethebox

can you tell us how it's different from skype? thanks.

thefooloftheyear

If it works for you, great...I just dont see it(no pun intended)...

Just seems like some fodder for a "Twilight Zone" episode...

(Place old curmudgeon hat on)

The more I think about it, the more I realize that technology is starting to destroy us from the inside out....

Gotta go, J-Lo is waiting in the bedroom..

TFY

• Like 1

No... I have a very difficult time connecting with someone emotionally virtually. I prefer those types of interactions in person. But if it's someone you've already met and are dating, I'm sure it can be fun. ;)

• Author
JourneyLady
can you tell us how it's different from skype? thanks.

It's a virtual world, not real life face to face (although there's no reason why you can't mix the two together... ie. having face to face conversations intermittently with virtual world ones.

Differences? It's basically like being inside a computer game, only there's no real "win" or "lose" to it. Most of them give you a free space in which to "live" and store your objects, furniture and what not. They all have places to meet up, play games, buy stuff (and yes, if you want LOTS of stuff, you do have to pay something -- but it's free to just be in there with an avatar). There's usually a calendar with set "gatherings" where contests and games happen.

The one I'm in has an "Events" area which currently has four sections: Easter egg hunt, St. Patty's Days games, Valentine area (virtual weddings, etc.) and one other. There are shopping areas in the mall, they give you a car to drive and some basic furniture to start with.

You choose what you want to look like, where you want to live, clothing, objects, etc. You can have friends there and communicate via text in some, voice in others. Second Life is another I tried briefly, and I met a young lady a few years back who claimed she actually earned real life dollars making "objects" for that game. I've read of others who do.

I used to be in Sims Online and met a lot of people on there -- but EA stopped it. Others have since taken it's place.

I enjoy running around exploring the world just as I would a computer game. In addition, I chose to live in a forest and so the background sound is rather soothing (birds, crickets, frogs). I leave that on while reading before going to sleep.

I think if I was getting to know someone long distance, it would be nice to have a combination of "real" (skype or face to face chat) and virtual dates online. I've heard some people keep chat on while watching the same DVD from redbox or eating the same thing for dinner and things like that. No substitute for real life of course, and I am not implying it is. But it might be a good prerequisite for getting to know someone a little before deciding to visit long distance too, with that combination.

I don't know, I just find the whole thing fascinating. Really I can't wait until they have holodecks and I can visit my favorite mountain during summer -- in the middle of winter. :-D

outsidethebox

So it's Dateville. Ok. I assume that if they don't already have it they will have that you can open a skype session with one of the "players".

Apt term.

• Author
JourneyLady
Just seems like some fodder for a "Twilight Zone" episode...

Well as a matter of fact, my son met his wife (now ex-wife, but they were married five years) online. Not in a VR world, but because they were part of a group with one particular interest. They ended up meeting and then working on web sites together long distance. She came out for a couple of visits, then stayed a while and they got married.

There were some extreme stressors later on which led to their breakup. Family stuff.

So I don't think hanging out in a VR world is any stranger than that... Of course you would want to meet in person if you're really interested in real life interactions. Some people do have "online only" mates though. They've been doing that as far back as 1988. I used to be part of an online text chat room that had meetups. Several people there had virtual weddings in the chat room. As well as virtual divorce when they stopped dating in RL. :-)

A large percentage of people do meet online these days. Don't we normally ask for someone's email or facebook page if we become friends these days? I know my family mostly does. (I get to hear more about my grandkids because of Facebook.)

• Author
JourneyLady
So it's Dateville. Ok. I assume that if they don't already have it they will have that you can open a skype session with one of the "players".

Apt term.

OnVerse is the one I'm in. Not extremely populated at the moment and seems to be fairly new. But I like what they've done with it and the focus there is not on dating per se, although they do have a "couples valentine" area.

I think you could be running skype at the same time, though perhaps not within the VR.

outsidethebox

Thanks for this insight, OP. Just wanted to clarify though that VR (and holodeck sci-fi as you mention) implies a skype like person to image interface. Clicking on icons on a screen doesn't have anything to do with virtual reality. It's a game interface.

outsidethebox

I've got to get off to bed but I'll take a look at that link tomorrow. thanks.

• Author
JourneyLady
Thanks for this insight, OP. Just wanted to clarify though that VR (and holodeck sci-fi as you mention) implies a skype like person to image interface. Clicking on icons on a screen doesn't have anything to do with virtual reality. It's a game interface.

True, it is an avatar you move around and change viewpoint from.

But not avatar in the sense of our avatar photos here, but a whole body to move around. (And dance or whatever.)

outsidethebox

yeah, came back to clarify games was wrong term. 3D shooters and such are obviously VR.

Ok, understood about the avatars, change viewpoint, etc. Yeah, VR.

thanks. Not to be negative, but men are such lowlifes that many of the female avatars are probably men. Some men have the unique ability to find that to be entertaining.

To be of any usefulness or interest, you have to have some kind of validation of what you're dealing with imo.

• Author
JourneyLady
can we have "just friends" there?

Oh yes - most of the avatars running around have someone on there that they already know as friends anyway.

As to real life validation: it is true that there are some people who "experiment" with identity... One such world has people who chose to be animals and as the article states, you know what that can lead to... :p So there are other options in some places besides male and female.

But you can always validate via skype or other means - facebook and what not.

But it's kind of like Las Vegas... If you want, what goes on in the VR, stays in the VR.

• Like 2