Giving your women jewerly question (Women Answer)

Driftking102

Driftking102

Hello Women,

I ordered a custom sterling silver jewerly piece for my girlfriend and I's one year anniversary but its going to take 7-10 days to make the item. I gave her a sterling heart pendent necklace with 3 1/15th Carat dimaonds inside and her name engraved on it. Now I could either wait the 7-10 days + the two days shipping to get it shipped to the store or I could give her a piece of paper with all the details on it surrounded by her favorite things. Which do you think she would like more? FYI she hates surprises, but I really wanted to surprise her for our one year anniversary but the store has to custom make the jewerly and it takes forever :(

I was going to keep the necklace in its jewerly box and hide it all around the special things she liked and tell her that her surprise is Blu rays, cookies, and candy and then she would enjoy it and find the necklace. Which do you think is more romantic? I told my girlfriend I was getting something but she has no clue what it is.

• Like 1

Big mistake getting it custom made because she won't be able to exchange it if she doesn't like it. You'll have to sell it in that case.

I don't like surprise gifts mainly because I am a poor actress and don't want to hurt a guy's feelings if I don't like the gift.

You would have been better off spending the money going to a romantic bed'n'breakfast place.

I gave her a sterling heart pendent necklace with 3 1/15th Carat dimaonds inside and her name engraved on it.

This is entirely unrelated but I am a jeweler and have never heard of three+ carats worth of diamonds being set in silver. Sterling is a relatively cheap precious metal so you might have gotten taken for a ride and I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on it; I'm willing to bet they are CZ's...

On the other point, I am actually charmed that something would be made custom for me. 7 to 10 days is hardly forever from a craftsman's point of view, by the way, and my commissions usually take two weeks as well. I would give her a small gift on the actual day but indicate that the gift is being made and will be a little late.

• Like 2
Cutiepie1976

That was my initial thought too! What jeweler puts three carats in a sterling silver setting? But, I think it is three tiny diamonds, each being 1/15 carat. That price point would explain the choice of metals.

At the OP:

Sounds like a lovely gift. You've clearly put thought and effort into it. She's a lucky woman!

I would skip the note. Just tell her it's a customized gift, and it won't be ready before XX date. I really like the basket of surprises idea. Since you're considering multiple small gifts plus the necklace, one other option is to do twelve days of giving (for each month you've been together)...that gives you two weeks to get the necklace shipped. Then you don't have to apologize for not having the real gift on your anniversary.:)

Edited by Cutiepie1976
  • Like 1
That was my initial thought too! What jeweler puts three carats in a sterling silver setting? But, I think it is three tiny diamonds, each being 1/15 carat. That price point would explain the choice of metals.

I totally misread this as a 3+ carat diamond. But three, tiny diamonds makes more sense...

• Author
Driftking102

Thanks. I'm going to wait and give her the actual thing instead of the piece of paper. I hope she likes it.

• Like 1

This thread made me go, "Awww." I, like CarrieT, would be charmed to have something custom made for me by a long-term boyfriend. Your girlfriend will love it, and yes, wait to give it to her instead of the paper.

• Author
Driftking102

Yeah. I am glad she can wait. I found out she likes those green gummy frogs so I am going to get her a really nice box and put green gummy frogs in it along with her favorite chocolate, cookies, and chips. I hope she doesn't think I am making her fat. I told her the gift was hard to get and that it is going to come at the end of the month. I will say that it was the box and i hope she likes it. When she sees the box filled with goodies, she won't know what hit her ;)

Don't ruin it by dropping hints. Just hold your tongue and surprise her when it's ready. And you don't need to go over the top with that 12 days thing unless she's giving you 12 days of wild sex, lingerie and BJs.