Date Confirmation

egalew

When should a guy confirm your upcoming date?

Had date last Wednesday. He asked me out for the following Wednesday. Sent me a one line e-mail since, saying something like: "Hope all is well."

At what point do I assume the date is not on? By what point should he confirm our plans? Tomorrow 12:00? Or today?

Thanks

IMO, a 'date' is handled like any short-term social engagement. If the date was specific and agreed to, as well as being short-term, like 'next Wednesday', then IMO it should proceed unless one of the parties is unable to accommodate the specifics of the date. That party is responsible for contact. Otherwise, if I ask you to dinner 'next Wednesday' and, upon agreement, say 'I'll pick you up at 7', you can expect me at 7 unless something comes up, whereupon I'll call you.

If the tone and behavior of your dating partner impels you to be unsure/lack confidence in their intentions, verify or abandon.

While frustrating in the moment, my remembrances of the few past 'no shows' were ultimately gifts; people I didn't waste my valuable care and time on. Since I enjoyed where I was going to take them anyway, I went alone and enjoyed myself. Never know what will happen next.

Follow your own style, whatever it is....that's my advice.

If the specifics have been discussed (what you are doing, time, and logistics), then no confirmation is necessary. For example, "Let's have dinner on Wednesday at 7 p.m. I'll pick you up." or "Let's have drinks on Wednesday at 8 p.m. I'll meet you there." You should just go with the plan that is made and assume it is going forward.

If, however, it was left vague -- i.e. "Let's get together on Wednesday" with no time, plan, or logistics mentioned, I would personally expect to nail down the details by Tuesday evening. If I hadn't heard anything from him by Tuesday night regarding the details, I would assume he is not planning on going forward with the date and consider myself free to make other plans.