Got my first post-college full-time job. What will zee chicas think?

kaylan

Part of the reason I started this thread was because of all the talk I see online about a guys job and money affecting his dating success. So I wanted to discuss this in relevance to myself. Having only been in the post-college world for a year, I dont have any experience to comment on yet. And to be honest, this past year Ive been working part time gigs and still hanging out with some people from my alma mater's town. And Ive been back up for alumni weekends as well.

I know dating will be much different once I buckle down into "real adult life"...so Im wondering and worrying a bit about what to expect. In college dating wasnt anything to worry about. I had loads of opportunities to meet girls at the bar, or on campus, or in town. Plus the town has its own culture outside of the colleges influence. Its a small town vibe, and people are really laid back. Most of the people in the night scene are from 18 to 28, depending on where you go. And like I said...small town vibe...so cash and career were no biggies. People wanted to have fun.

Anyways, I started college 20 going on 21...graduated last year 24 going on 25. I spent the past year looking for decent full time work, but its tough and competitive. In the mean time I worked part time for my buddies start up company. I just turned 26 and just got offered my first full time job.

However Im worried what this kind of job will look like given my age and what Im working towards for my career. The job is store management for an international retailer. The pay is decent, but nothing to write home about....and they seem really committed to me. They want me to train in a store the next state over for about 2 weeks. They pay for the hotel and stuff until Im trained up. The interview process made the job sound promising.

Theres room for growth and upward mobility. And they seem to be very much on-board with me eventually going to grad school so I can move up to district or corporate level management which is more tailored to what I wanna do with my career. I definitely want to do white collar stuff. And tbh, Ive down retail ever since I was a teenager...so Its gotten kinda old...but this seemed like a good opportunity. And even if Im not with the company long term, its leadership experience on my resume with a reputable company.

This all being said, I wonder how girls my age would react to this. My guy friends say not to worry, and that I have to start someone. But part of me regrets starting college later than them. They had jobs similar to these and moved on with good experience on their resume. I just wish I wasnt 26 taking a retail job. 22/23 wouldnt be so bad...but I feel kinda lame at 26.

Hell, Im not even sure what to say about my job when I finally jump back into online dating. I mean, aside from all that, my recruiter really made this seem like the right step for me. And they really wanna mentor me and help cultivate my skills and push my leadership career. And from the success my recruiter has had at his young-ish age...I believe I can get somewhere with hard work.

Im just worried if people will notice the ambition, or just think Im a typical low paid retail manager whos in a dead end job. Because the industry does get that generalization...because tbh, most companies dont build talent from the ground up and give people the opportunities to move up the way this company does.

Thoughts?

Edited by kaylan

What did you major in? I hate retail!!! Been doing it for almost 10 years and can't wait until I get out of college (I'll be 31). You're barely 26 so you

re still pretty young so it's good to start off with where you are.

• Author

I majored in international business. I told them Id love to one day travel abroad to put my degree to use, or to use my skills at headquarters dealing with international operations domestically. They really seemed to like that. So as I said, I see lots of room for growth...and start from the ground up and give me valuable insight into the company. That being said, retail can be a pain in the behind sometimes.

If you have a full time job making a living wage they "should" respect that.

I wouldn't really worry about what the chicas think. In fact worrying about what they think would just be insecure and counterproductive. Instead be happy for yourself.

• Like 1

You're over-thinking this. You're in a much better position than a lot of other people are right now. And like you said, if you work hard enough, you'll be on the fast track to where you want to be, especially if this company does stuff like tuition reimbursement for grad school. That's a plus.

Just be POSITIVE about it. Emphasize the opportunities for growth, determination of achieving future plans/goals, etc. If a woman won't like you because of your job...well, would you want her anyway? No! So don't worry about it. It's not as big a deal as you're thinking.

• Like 4

It depends on the women you date and their age partly I think. Since you're that young and would probably still date younger women in retail I think you will find that the women who work in the store or want to work in the store may throw themselves at you or make themselves available sexually.

I managed some retail stores before and I was surprised at how some women behaved toward me because I had power over their peers.

One asked for a ride home and tried to get me to stop off in a parking lot to have sex with her in the car.

I never really liked that so many women are attracted to power in any form but it is what it is.

• Author

^Definitely not interested in women who throw themselves at me just because Im the retail boss guy. Nor would I jeopardize my job for a hookup. Plus my store staff would mostly be 16 to 20 year olds. Only the management would be closer to my age. And I prefer to date women who are 22 at the youngest and college educated. So these kinda chicks usually arent in retail...however some are retail managers as well...seeing as some store management positions require a degree.

So Im not worried about young chicks who are into power (aka trying to get their rocks off and get favorite status at work). And tbh, I think a lot of people like the idea of hooking up with their young boss if they are attractive. I know I had hot bosses in retail before.

Its just not worth the career risk though.

haha man don't sweat nothing. You're fine. As long as you don't sound miserable or stuck in neutral gear no chick worth your time is gonna hold that against you.