Dating and Kids

jaliya

I am in a somewhat strange situation... I am 28 years old. I do not have children, however, I do have a 7 year old brother (yeah, biiig age gap). I have always been happy to spend time with my brother, I love him to death. But recently our parents started having serious business issues and have to be away quite a bit, which leaves me to be a part-time parent to my little brother. I just had him for 2 weeks less than a month ago. And my mom just called me and asked me to have him for two more weeks starting on Sunday... this gave me roughly 1 day notice...

Apart from the obvious issues (short notice, the stress that comes with taking care of a child - and not enough time to prepare for it etc) This leads me to my next issue.

Dating.

When I am with my brother, I have to be home by 7pm. Saturdays by 6pm and Sundays I have him all to myself. This leaves me with only enough time for work... and taking care of him. If I am dating someone, I have to put everything on hold for as long as I am with my brother, since my evenings are completely off limits. I can't go out, nor can I invite a man over, while my brother is sleeping next door.

Again, I LOVE my brother. And I love my family. I cannot leave them in this difficult time. But I feel like it is ruining my life. I am frustrated with this situation, yet I do not know what to do about it since I do not want to let my family down.

This is how it's been for over a year (although, usually it's more like every 2-3 months that I have him for a few weeks... the last time they told me I had him for 2 weeks the very same day though... this time they gave me 1 day notice... It is driving me insane).

Any suggestions? Experiences? Opinions?

Edited by jaliya