Hard to Get or Not Interested

So I went out with this girl a bit over a week ago. We're in college together and we were friendly beforehand. I thought there was an attraction there from the start. We went out for dinner. She put a lot of effort into looking nice for the evening and I thought that we had a great time. She was going back to her home country the next day for a while. I sent her a text message the next morning telling her that I had a great time and we should do it again. She replied saying that she had a great time and she'd see me soon.

Later that week she IM'ed me (we talk a lot over IM) about something to do with college. After I asked her if she wanted to go to see the fireworks that were on the night after she got back (thought that was a nice idea). She said that she had far too much college work. I'd say that's maybe half true. I ask when she might be free from doing work. She jokes that she'll be busy for the rest of the semester.

The next time we're in college together I didn't get the chance to talk to her because I had to talk to the professor after class. Later that evening she IMs me saying "oh, I didn't get to say hi to you today, you ran out after class". Talked to her for a while and then said that it was a pity we missed the fireworks because she was studying. She says that she's not studying but that she felt sick that evening. So I said that we should do something later in the week and she said yeah.

Next morning I sit next to her in class and after I ask her if she wants to get a coffee. She makes some stupid excuse about having to buy milk for her house! A few days later I ask her does she want to do something the next evening. She's too busy with college work again. I say maybe next week. She says yeah but that she isn't sure yet because she has more college work due.

Don't think I need to say that I'm a bit confused. Thoughts?

(Don't know if it makes any difference but she's from India).

• Author

I don't mind chasing a girl. It's sort of fun really. But I'd always be a bit careful that some girls might just want the attention. And there's a point where you have to ask if a person is playing games or they're just stringing you along for the attention.

And yeah, I'd agree that the excuses are just a "leave me alone" thing. But then she's always contacting me and asking me things and when I don't talk to her in class she's saying "you ran off after class" etc. Doesn't really add up...

Edited by 0507