Mental health

lastresort

Not sure where to post this so thought I would try here.

My gf of 14 months and I have been really struggling lately. I noticed she wasn't loving toward me the way she used to be. Tonight she admitted to me that things just don't seem right in her head and she feels she is not capable of loving right now. She said she doesn't even love herself or her family. The only person she feels any love for is her son.

I am a very loving person and have been supporting her for the past 6-8 months while she finished up done schooling. I told her after she told me that I just don't know if I can continue on with our relationship if she can't love me back. She got upset saying she confided a deep problem with me and couldn't believe I would just turn my back to get like that. I was in a marriage where my xw quit loving me as well. I explained to my gf that I am just trying to protect myself from being hurt the way I was hurt from my ex wife.

I love my gf and want to be there for her but how do I trust that even when she gets the help she needs that she will be able to love me again, the way she used to.

Don't feel obligated by a guilt-trip to remain in a relationship where you are second best, and merely an option, or a 'safe pace to fall'.

There's no rhyme or reason why she should be permitted to withhold part of herself from you - AND expect you to accept this, and pick up the breadcrumbs.

Separate.

Tell her it's over, and to get her head straight, because you're not her therapist - and there's no reason you should be, either.

The break will decide it for her once and for all.

but if she begs you to come back, because she realises she can't live without you - tell her that actions speak louder than words, and you fully expect - should you return - for her actions to reflect her words.