Dating a man with a son/ no time for us/am i wasting my time

vanilla

I have been dating this man for the past two years. Along with him comes his 12 year old son, whom lives part time with both parents, but mostly with him. Until recently we have had a very exciting relationship, over the past month he claims he wants more time to himself as he has his son at least 5 days out of the week. His other activitites ie. sports,family obligations leave little time for him or us.

We mainly see each other on weekends and occassionally during the week. I am feeling more and more that he has no time for me or us. trying to get him to talk about it has proved difficult and when we do nothing gets resolved ie. compromises or solutions that will enable us to spend more time together. I might also add that his ex (they were not married), conveniently calls him at the drop of a needle to take the son as she has things to do that are always urgent etc. He of course will not say no to her seeing the son is involved here.

He feels sometime is better than no time spend together. After 2 years I want more...am I wasting my time?

After a two year relationship.....why aren't you a part of the outings he spends with his son? If I dated someone seriously, I would expect them to be a part of my children's life.....not on hold till the ball game was over!

Surely he needs individual time with his child.. But shutting you out of the whole relationship they share seems odd.

Fedup&givingup

When you are involved with someone that has a child with someone else, there is that "issue". It's to be expected that the contact with the child's mother/father-it's inevitable, and it's....uncomfortable. It's something you either accept and learn to deal with or not.

While I find it admirable that this guy is this involved with his child, he's quite obviously much less involved with you. Two years is a long time for things to digress vs. progress. His son should come first, but at this point, you should be very much included and incorporated into it.

The fact that he avoids discussing this is your answer.