If you LOOK young, should you date young?

irc333

Just curious, some people can come off looking pretty damned young for their age.

I once saw a 50 year old woman that could pull off LATE 30's very easily, I think she was only able to pull it off because she was of a mix race or another nationality, but holy crap....I couldn't beleive it myself.

Then she asked MY age, and when I told her 41, she said, "awww...you're just a baabyyyyyy!"

Implying I was too young for her to date, and letter admitted it. But, I was wondering what percentage of people date younger if they look as young as the YOUNGER people that ask them out? lol

I'm not sure what look younger has to do with dating younger. I guess if you wanted to date younger, looking younger would be helpful, but I don't blame an older woman for not wanting to date you based on age, no matter what she looks like.

I look younger, but I won't date younger. I'm 33 and would have a hard time dating someone who's 30. Getting hit on by 24 year olds is just annoying and a waste of my time.

Looking young for your age can hinder you in dating actually. I was asked out by a coworker last year after I told him how old I was. He thought I was much younger and would have avoided asking me out if I had been younger (he's 10 years older). I dress young, especially in summer (short cut-offs), and I wonder how many older men have disregarded me because I'm dressed like a 17 year old.

• Author

Yeah, DRESSING young, esp. when you look young, can cause people to think younger, too. Dressing as such, just reinforce the youthfulness.

Most women over 50 tend to keep their hair short and don't let it flow long, long flowing hair gives an appearance of youthfulness. But apparently, I think women keep their hair short at a certain age, that LONG grey hair....well....they think they look like a witch or old hag (Yes, I heard women use this, they said it, I did not, lol)

But, if you're of a certain nationality, some don't get much greys going on.

Also, if you're 5 feet or under in height (very short), you'll look young, too obviously. lol

I'm not sure what look younger has to do with dating younger. I guess if you wanted to date younger, looking younger would be helpful, but I don't blame an older woman for not wanting to date you based on age, no matter what she looks like.

I look younger, but I won't date younger. I'm 33 and would have a hard time dating someone who's 30. Getting hit on by 24 year olds is just annoying and a waste of my time.

Looking young for your age can hinder you in dating actually. I was asked out by a coworker last year after I told him how old I was. He thought I was much younger and would have avoided asking me out if I had been younger (he's 10 years older). I dress young, especially in summer (short cut-offs), and I wonder how many older men have disregarded me because I'm dressed like a 17 year old.

This is my problem too. I am in my mid-40s but everyone guesses late 20s to mid-30s. I seem to be mostly attracted to men a few years older than me, and they initially see me as too young for them.

I have been thinking lately that it might be nice to date a guy three or four years younger than me, though. I'm very energetic (in all ways, nudge nudge wink wink), so a younger guy might be more fun.

I can't imagine dating anyone ten years younger than me, unless it was just a fun little fling.

I date younger men who look my age or older. I don't think I'd date someone who looked young enough to be my son. I draw the line at being old enough to have been their babysitter.

Personally, I do not dress particularly young. I dress my age...whatever that means. But people thing I am younger. I have a youthful face and high/cheery voice, so it really doesn't help my cause.

Typical age range I get, depending on the context is around 23-28. I am 34. I can't think of a time someone thought I was over 30, without significant amounts of conversation that would have offered clues about my real age.

And as a result, or possibly unrelated, I mostly get hit on by people who are 24-30. Or 50+. Very rarely is it someone my age. And generally, they are surprised we are the same age. I am open to dating younger, provided the guy is mature enough, but many men under 30 are still a bit immature for my tastes. I find it pretty difficult so I decided to take a completely new tactic to meeting people. Way more professional mixers and meetup groups and way less bars etc. At least the crowd is older or we have some common interests to bond over.

Recapping let's say the last 6 or 10 men I have met recently in various situations, they have all been shocked when they found out my age. One guy thought I just finished college. Another thought I was still in college. The rest thought I was 25 or so. 2 of the guys hitting on me were so sure I was younger than they were. They were both 29. One guy started to pick on me about it. He replied "you must love telling people your age....."

It can be annoying....especially in the phase I am in now.

Edited by GirlontheLam

I look younger than my age but have a strong preference to date someone who is at most only few years older and who also looks young but not too young. That is, we must look like we "match" but what's going on inside is very important. Thankfully, the SO fits nicely.

In my opinion, there's being young, there's acting young, there's looking young, and there's having a youthful outlook. I tend to stay away from the former two. The latter two reside in a grey area.

I just got this email:

"You seem a wonderfully charming, elegant and interesting lady. I might be younger, but I am mature for my age, but if there is another reason, then fair enough, but if you change your mind, you know where I am."

HE IS TWENTY-TWO YEARS YOUNGER!

Is there no middle ground populated with middle-aged men? :mad:

• Author
I look younger than my age but have a strong preference to date someone who is at most only few years older and who also looks young but not too young. That is, we must look like we "match" but what's going on inside is very important. Thankfully, the SO fits nicely.

In my opinion, there's being young, there's acting young, there's looking young, and there's having a youthful outlook. I tend to stay away from the former two. The latter two reside in a grey area.

I didn't mean to say "should", more "could", any how, I saw this one woman online, admitted IN her profile that she purposely set her age at late 30's, and told her REAL age in the BODY of the profile.

She explained her reasoning, and basically, "fixed the books" so when a man did a search for women between the ages of let's say, 30 to 39, she'd show up in his search, because since she's really 45, but just LOOKS young for her age, she tends to date younger men.

So she basically admitted to the world she lied about her age so she could get younger men emailing, and I bet some men don't care if she lied either, considering how hot she looks. lol

"Yay, I'm 45, and STILL get carded! Yippie, I can hang out with my college-aged girlfriends, too!" :laugh:

If it works for her, I guess she's entitled to use that strategy. Not something I'd advocate though. It would be interesting to find out how many guys pay attention to the "lie" - the cynic in me thinks not many - based on my experience of how many guys actually read profiles.

I could date younger, as could anyone potentially, but I just don't want to. I'm really skeptical that I'd be LTR-compatible with someone younger. And, as I wrote earlier, the SO fits nicely, so this discussion is purely academic for me.

But, I was wondering what percentage of people date younger if they look as young as the YOUNGER people that ask them out? lol

It's exactly 17.9%

The girl I've been dating lately got carded twice in the last few weeks when buying alcohol. Now, given that you can buy it here when you're 18, and she's 30, I'd say she looks younger than her age. But I'm nearer your age, so I'm guessing she's not in the 17.9%.

The girl I've been dating lately got carded twice in the last few weeks when buying alcohol. Now, given that you can buy it here when you're 18, and she's 30

Where I live clerks are supposed to "card" patrons who seem to be in their twenties, just to be on the safe side. So many kids, especially young women, look older due to hair, makeup, fashions.

I date younger easily, but as someone else said, I wouldn't feel comfortable dating someone a lot younger than me who looks a lot younger than me. That being said, I can date pretty darn young and the guy still not look younger than me because I look young. Being Asian helps (I think Black and Asian women age the best in general; exceptions, of course). I'm also right at 5' and thin; I wear a size 1 or 2 in jeans, an XS or S shirt. I think even just the kind of face I have looks young.

Most guys in their early and mid 20s annoy me to death, but some behave in a way I like. I'm dating a guy now who's 25, and I just adore him. He's sweet, charming, smart, giving, caring, etc.

Well, I'm 44, and am always told I look early 30's. It's a nice compliment, because nobody likes to grow old right? I was getting to know a 28 year old last spring. But I kind of kept it friendly because I didn't know that we would be all that compatible. Of course, this was based solely on his age, sigh, I should have given him a chance...

In any case, I think my mind is more open now and I learned that lesson. It's the person's maturity level that attracts me, not their number of years on earth.

todreaminblue
Just curious, some people can come off looking pretty damned young for their age.

I once saw a 50 year old woman that could pull off LATE 30's very easily, I think she was only able to pull it off because she was of a mix race or another nationality, but holy crap....I couldn't beleive it myself.

Then she asked MY age, and when I told her 41, she said, "awww...you're just a baabyyyyyy!"

Implying I was too young for her to date, and letter admitted it. But, I was wondering what percentage of people date younger if they look as young as the YOUNGER people that ask them out? lol

I dont think i look young.....I have been told i am young at heart....which i translate as immature......even though i feel eighty.....i do attract younger guys......i have never dated younger.....for the first time with no intoxication i am attracted to a younger guy.......and it is scary for that fact alone.....i dont think age is a factor in my situation the guy i am attracted too lol i feel is a mature sensible loving kind i can go on and on.....but i wont my bucket is not passable on here for you to retch into....when i am at peak fitness......i am quite capable of keeping up with people much younger than me.......so i dont look at it that way

how i am perceived to look.....i have no idea....i dont really stare into the mirror but i have laughter lines around my eyes.....i know that because i often have laughed at myself in the mirror....trying to apply make up.....raccoon eye syndrome.....or kermit with eyeliner......my family are not surprised that i attract younger guys.......i always am...that's why i haven't really dated younger guys i think ok they want sex....but in reality i dont see peoples ages....i have to ask for id(which they normally show).....i can never tell unless they have loads of laughter lines.....then i can tell....or maybe they are someone who laughs all the time...now i am getting confused....toodles....slinks off smiling.........deb