Staying in touch with ex partners?

abbey3

I just wondered what you all thought about keeping in touch with ex partners...

For me i will send the odd birthday message maybe but that is it.

However my boyfriend (even before he met me) kept in touch with pretty much all his ex-partners; most on a very friendly basis (meeting up, having coffee etc).

When we got together i found this really strange, he doesn’t meet up with any of them anymore but one of his partners from 6 years ago still calls and send the odd text.

I always worried it was because he still had feelings for them.

Opinions??

At present, there are four exes who've kept in touch. No interest on my side at all beyond platonic, particularly since I'm married with two children. I won't contact them.

For me i don't really see the need to keep in touch with them. I've survived without them. Lived without them. Will go on without them. Out of sight, out of mind.

Maybe if i bump unto them then the usual "how are you's" would be enough to feed my curiosity a bit as to what's up with their lives. Compare notes a little. Say bye. And that's it.

I keep in touch with the most significant ones though the degree varies. They are part of my past and my past has made me who I am today so I suppose I'm comfortable with having that link maintained. I only see one of them frequently, others I keep in touch with through facebook. I don't even live in the same country with them usually.

MilitantPacifist

I'm still in touch with the two women who comprised the majority (4 years, and 3 years, respectively) of my time spent in serious relationships.

For me what mainly attracts me to women initially is their intelligence and humor - the same aspects that make people close friends. Of course from there it proceeds to compatibility and attraction, but our initial dates are all about intelligence and humor.

So it's only natural that I stay friends with them afterwards, since we relate so well on a purely intellectual level. Sure, immediately after breakups (say 6 months - 1 year) it's awkward and not really possible to have a close friendship without hurt feelings from one side or another, but after that I tend to slip back into friendship with girls, because I love them as friends as well.