meeting the parents

4givrnt4gtr

4givrnt4gtr

Oh man Im in a bad situation!

My boyfriend introduced me to his parents who ofcourse were very graceous, took me to dinner twice and even invited me to join them on a trip they are doing next month.

So ofcourse my boyfriend wants to meet my family, and I thought it would be a good idea to invite him to my older sister's birthday. Although we usually don't do big celebrations I thought going out to dinner and such would be ok and it would take the pressure off of my boyfriend since we were going to be there for my sister.

Well...i mention this to him and he was more than happy to attend....but I failed to first check with my sister....

And when I did...she said she didnt want to meet him on her birthday....c*aap!

So now Im in this conundrum of having to tell my boyfriend my sister doesn't want him on her birthday dinner....

I must say that I should have known better, as she is a very difficult person but i thought she was getting better...clearly I was wrong.

So now what...what do I tell him? I feel SOO bad!!! I dont want him to feel rejected without even a chance. My mom actually was more than happy to hosts us at her house...I feel terrible.

What should I do?

How about him meeting her before the birthday dinner? She might well change her mind about the dinner. Or if they instinctively don't like each other, he wouldn't be interested in going to the dinner anyway.

UpDownAllAround
How about him meeting her before the birthday dinner? She might well change her mind about the dinner. Or if they instinctively don't like each other, he wouldn't be interested in going to the dinner anyway.

This. Try and arrange perhaps a lunch before and see if there's a way for her to meet him beforehand? Of course, you could explain your sister is skittish, or, in your words, difficult, towards everybody and needs to be comfortable around strange people before inviting them to a personal event like her birthday?

Hopefully he won't take that personally.

utterer of lies
What should I do?

You tell him exactly what you told us here, that you tried to arrange it but your sister didn't want it.

He will understand. Don't worry.

Why would your sister not want him there? Is she that self centered? I'd want to smack her if she was my sister and said that to me.

Do as other suggested

• Author
4givrnt4gtr

Thank you guys for your input! I couldnt have arranged a lunch earlier because we were supposed to do this whole birthday thing the next day I posted the question.

My mom bit the bullet and instead came up to see us and arranged a brunch where everyone was invited. My sister didnt balk at that for some reason and they got to meet the bf.

It was actually a very nice day and everyone seemed to like each other so that was great :bunny: