Living at my Parents

paperboy48

I am 36 yrs old. Recently divorced and am living at my parents house for now. I have two kids that live with me there half the time.

I have to live there until my house sells so I can use the profit from the sale for a down payment on a house for me.

Its actually a nice set up...kids and I are upstairs, parents are downstairs so we kind of have our on section of the house.

Anyways, do you think this would be an issue with a potential date or GF?

I am 36 yrs old. Recently divorced and am living at my parents house for now. I have two kids that live with me there half the time.

I have to live there until my house sells so I can use the profit from the sale for a down payment on a house for me.

Its actually a nice set up...kids and I are upstairs, parents are downstairs so we kind of have our on section of the house.

Are you talking about having sex or if a woman would look down on you?

On the first issue, it wouldn't be that great for sex

On the second issue, it shouldn't be an issue with anyone worth being with. Anyone worth your time should understand your situation. You moved home until your house sells so you can buy a new house. This isn't a permanent living at home until your 36. I wouldn't sweat it.

I don't think you have an issue. #1 make sure you're ready to get back out there.

I moved back at 29 and thought I'd never get a date but have dated a 27,25,31 and am meeting a 30 yr old. I TOLD them 1st about my sit and they were ok with it.

• Author

This was actually not about sex (believe it or not). This is just about how I would be perceived for living with my folks. Thanks!

Of course it will.

Not because you live with your parents, but because you're still selling a house from your divorce and you're already looking at someone new!

Until the dust settles, I don't think many women would be very impressed.

• Like 1
This was actually not about sex (believe it or not). This is just about how I would be perceived for living with my folks. Thanks!

Hmm...I don't think you would be perceived very well. A grown man with kids living with his parents? :S

You have a good reason for that, but before you can explain all that a woman will already have a not-so-good impression.

mortensorchid

That all depends. Based on what you have written, it seems like you have had a major change in life (your divorce) and you moved back with your mom and dad in between getting a new house / apartment. This is your plan, right? If so, then you should not have an issue when meeting other women. Explain that it's temporary and you're moving to a new place once you sell the old house and get a new one.

But be warned, there are all kinds of situations out there where it may not be seen that way. About ten years ago, I was going out with a guy who lived with his mom. I was 26, he was 28. He said it was financial, but over time I began to realize a few things about this. He was afraid to live by himself. He was saving up for a house, which he bought on the east coast, and he moved away there. He will be 40 this year and is still living with his mother. So here he was not being upfront with me or others about it. ANd he will wake up on the morning of his 60th birthday living with her (if she's still around by then).

And another time a few years ago, I had met this guy and we went out once or twice. I came to pic him up, he did not invite me in, then when we returned he did not invite me in then. He said later the reason was because he lived with his mom and dad and other family members. He also told me a few other things that lead me to decide I did not want to pursue this anymore. THen he showed up at my doorstep at midnight a month later raving like a loon.

Not that you are either one of them, but as long as you are upfront and MAKE THE CHANGE everything should be ok.

january2011

Yes, if she expects her date to be fairly on par with her or in a better place in terms of position in life and home ownership. She may be concerned that you will mooch off her. And won't really be able to afford to date.

However, I think that the "recently divorced" part of your OP is probably the bigger concern. She may wonder how "over" it you are. And is she going to have "crazy ex", "potential MIL dearest" or "obnoxious potential step-children" to put up with?

As an aside, if she is at a time in her life where she wants to get married and have kids in a fairly short space of time, she may wonder if your life goals line up since you've already been-there-done-that.

I agree with Leopard, wait until the dust settles first and you've moved into your own place before rushing back onto the dating scene guns ablazing.

it would be an issue - how major depends on the woman. but, perhaps put dating on hold until your life is more settled and you're in a better living situation. i dated a 46 year old guy who was living at home - well, taking care of his mom, but he had no ambition to ever leave and all of our days/nights were always at my home. that gets old very fast and it really 'weakens' the respect a woman has for you when she sees you living like a child or college student