What professions are most attractive to you in a mate?

Jane2011

I am curious.

What types of jobs/career for your mate do you consider "ideal"?

And how much does it actually factor into your decision making?

Are there any professions a person could have that would automatically make you cease dating them or not take things further? Say, if you met them and started talking, but then found out that they were a _____?

Experiences with people of various professions?

Hmmm?

Photographer, wildlife, animal work, chef and athlete are the 1st ones that spring to mind.

It's not really an issue tbh, but I steer clear of business women at all times.

Child care or elementary/middle school teacher. Purely hypothetical for me as I don't do relationships but those have always been the sweetest girls.

Also I agree with titanwolf, I would never ever consider being with a career woman.

• Author
Photographer, wildlife, animal work, chef and athlete are the 1st ones that spring to mind.

It's not really an issue tbh, but I steer clear of business women at all times.

Any particular reason about the business women?

Not judging you, mind you. I actually don't prefer business men, myself. In fact, it's my least desired profession for a man.

I am curious.

The kind that require a history of successful education in order to do them, rather than unskilled manual labour.

• Like 4
  • Author
Child care or elementary/middle school teacher. Purely hypothetical for me as I don't do relationships but those have always been the sweetest girls.

Also I agree with titanwolf, I would never ever consider being with a career woman.

How do you define career woman?

Does being in certain professions make a person a career woman? Or is it defined by how much time she spends on her job?

Honestly, I don't know what most people mean when they say "career woman." So many women have jobs, many of them full time. Is working full time automatically "a career woman"? What's the deal with all that?

Teacher, police officer, writer, computer programmer, are all very attractive to me. A professional historian/anthropologist or a professor in anything (my age) would be amazing.

Nurse/doctor and lawyer might make me hesitate a little bit, because of the weird hours and insane level of responsibility, but depending on the guy I'd consider it.

Musicians and actors are kind of off-limits for me. I've dated a few actors (because I'm really big into theater) and there's inevitably a lot of drama (also, actors usually have HUGE egos.) 9 times out of 10 I'd also turn down an athlete, because then I'd have to care about his sport.

• Like 2
ThaWholigan

I like artsy type girls to be honest, and (don't flame me lol) I find those fashion designer girls to be extremely cute.

Girls who are entrepreneurial in spirit greatly interest me, especially if they are somewhat financially savvy.

All-in-all, it doesn't really matter to me what the profession is though.

• Like 2

Well from what I've gathered, to be good at business in most instances, you have to be cutthroat and that's not the kind of quality I like to see in a woman. As well as the environment they work in, businesses are a place where sexual tension can build very easily and it's not out of the ordinary to have your spouse desecrate their vows at work especially in business. Lettuce be cereal, how many stories have you heard where the boss (your husband) is banging the secretary, or the secretary (your wife) is banging the boss? O'd be asking for trouble if I committed to a career business woman. Of course these are just my biased opinions, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather be wrong and be called a fool, than be right and be calling my lawyer.

How do you define career woman?

Does being in certain professions make a person a career woman? Or is it defined by how much time she spends on her job?

Honestly, I don't know what most people mean when they say "career woman." So many women have jobs, many of them full time. Is working full time automatically "a career woman"? What's the deal with all that?

If I were going to engage in a long term relationship I'd want someone to come home to. What good is a high powered attorney that spends 10+ hours a day at the office to me? I wouldn't want to come home to a cold, dark house if I were supposedly in a relationship.

Might as well hire a housekeeper, cook my own food and bang whoever I want if that's the deal.

• Author

Answering my own question:

Like the following: teachers (all teachers, no matter what level: I'm a teacher myself; of course I like my own kind!). Also like writers (don't care if they make any f*cking money or not; writers rule!).

Also like: lawyers (I just feel like they're way logical and good at analysis and interpretation of text; as an English major, I dig that). Also like people who work for non-profit organizations, social workers of any kind, those who work in the arts, people who work with plants/botany, etc.

I'm not crazy about science/engineering jobs or business guys. Or computer/I.T. guys. That being said, a couple of my most recent boyfriends were into computer programming, as hobbies and as jobs/gigs. However, they were into things I found appealing too, like writing, philosophy, and teaching.

Edit- when I say career woman, think board room meetings, briefcases and power suits *shudders*

• Author
Well from what I've gathered, to be good at business in most instances, you have to be cutthroat and that's not the kind of quality I like to see in a woman. As well as the environment they work in, businesses are a place where sexual tension can build very easily and it's not out of the ordinary to have your spouse desecrate their vows at work especially in business. Lettuce be cereal, how many stories have you heard where the boss (your husband) is banging the secretary, or the secretary (your wife) is banging the boss? O'd be asking for trouble if I committed to a career business woman. Of course these are just my biased opinions, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd rather be wrong and be called a fool, than be right and be calling my lawyer.

I'm with you about the cutthroat thing. The affairs at work I'm not as worried about. I feel like that can happen anywhere where men and women convene, not just business. But totally about the cutthroat, money-hungry thing. I hate working in environments or being around people who will sacrifice doing the right thing, or do others wrong, just to increase profits.

• Like 2
I am curious.

someone else in the social sciences who can travel with me as i'm all over the place. and who could understand at a deep level what it is i'm doing; who could possibly even partner on my projects.

or an artist who isn't beholden to the ball and chain (ie, cubicle life).

LTR: very much so. fun in the moment: i don't care what she does.

Are there any professions a person could have that would automatically make you cease dating them or not take things further? Say, if you met them and started talking, but then found out that they were a _____?

chicago school economist. fox news anchorwoman. monsanto sales rep. :laugh:

• Like 2
haha, if I found out he was a Fox News anchorman, I'd kick his ass!

I would marry Megyn Kelly in a heartbeat...even though she's already married... :(

But on a more serious note, for me, the ideal professions would be those that are highly mobile...like teachers, nurses, and the like...

Homemaker.

Basically anything for her that's low stress and doesn't give her long hours.

• Like 1

I end up being attracted to engineers/programmers/other science-tech oriented types a lot. I'm also into the creative guys, graphic designers/artists/musicians/writers. I don't have an 'ideal', per se, it's just that most of the guys I am attracted to fall into those sectors.

I do have deal-breaker careers--I don't like cops, Army/Navy/Marine guys, doctors, or lawyers.

• Like 1

I don't have any preferences in professions.

Regarding fidelity... I haven't witnessed any correlation with fidelity and chosen profession. Although, I suspect that professions where they are more or less paid to lie might give me pause. Politicians and certain types of lawyers come to mind. On the other hand, some men I've met in those professions have hearts of gold and truly are public servants.

As long as it's legal, consistent with our shared values, and I get to wake up with him most days, I'm happy.

Ha ha on the Fox News though. Good one.

I don't know how to 'type' it, but someone who has flexible and self-regulated work would be my ideal, as it matches up with my work ethic/philosophy/actions.

Historically, not significantly. Looking forward, more of an issue, as there's less time in life left to live and I wish to maximize it.

As long as it was legal, I'll entertain most any potential in that regard.

Experiences with people of various professions?

Of my LTR's and M, I've been involved with a CPA, a secretary, a doctor and my ex-wife was/is a hair stylist. I've dated all over the place, career/job-wise. Most recently, during our D, I dated a manager at the local municipal public services division.

Attractive:

MMA fighter, astronomer, zoologist

Not so appealing:

accountant, marketing executive

Unacceptable:

proctologist, hedge fund manager

• Like 1
january2011

From experience, the following are not conducive to an LTR:

• professions that do not allow a healthy work-life balance, e.g., any job that is based on a rota/shift-work
  • career level - it may grant the incumbent more/less automony to make work-life balance decisions, e.g., there are both upsides and downsides to someone being in an entry-level position or in the C-suite and a lot depends on the profession itself
  • anything that doesn't pay enough to allow the incumbent to cover their living expenses with some disposable income for social/personal development as well as savings
  • criminal and morally contentious professions, e.g., bank robber, drug dealer, pimp, stripper, prostitute

The last item is a definite dealbreaker. There's quite a bit of wiggle room with the first three - the third one has wiggle room if he has plans to get himself out of the situation and I believe him.

Off the top of my head, 'professions' I have experience with: business owner, artist, charity worker, doctoral student, medical doctor, middle management executive, IT worker, freelancer and military.

We'd talk about our jobs in the first conversation, so it's unlikely that I'd get to the dating stage without having had that discussion.