How to escape awkward situations?

ForgetMeNots

ForgetMeNots

So it is starting to become a reoccurring theme for me. I am eating breakfast at a fast food store. I like to watch people and text as I am bored but enjoying my morning. I do not really want to be disturbed, but I just smile and continue eating or texting if I do make eye contact with someone cause I do not like being rude and am naturally friendly. Unfortunately, I am just to tired to hold intelligent conversation so prefer to stick to my quiet corner even if I do see someone that strikes my fancy.

Too often though, when I do just glaze over to look at people, older gentlemen take this as interest and as soon as they order their food,they come over and sit at my table or table next to me and try to flirt(they dont even ask if they can sit there or not <:I ). I am a 20ish and look even younger, so I kinda feel really unsettled and trapped(food still not finished and I really do not like people watching me while I eat or hold conversation when I am in my morning slump) when these 30 to 50 year olds come over to "chat." I do not know how to say I'm not inerested or how to avoid them. Most of the time I finish my breakfast as fast as possible,politely wish em a good day, and hightail to the restroom or exit.

This is a repeated sort of thing,so is there a better way to go about this without making it awkward or to stop it from happening at all?And have any of yall been cold approached when you really just wanted to enjoy your food?

yes. Get take out, drive thru, to go.

You dont want to be disturbed, you dont want to be hit on, but you KEEP GOING BACK TO A PUBLIC PLACE??

Duh? :laugh:

• Author
ForgetMeNots
yes. Get take out, drive thru, to go.

You dont want to be disturbed, you dont want to be hit on, but you KEEP GOING BACK TO A PUBLIC PLACE??

Duh? :laugh:

I would if I could,but I work there part time to help with le college funds. :p I eat breakfast and chill in the corner cause I got work in a few minutes and no room to eat in the back.

ah,ok, that makes it different.

and I was trying to be COMICALLY condescending with my remarks, but not sure if that translated well across the net. :)

Only option is to NOT be friendly. Don't look at others, and never smile at them. Just do that everywhere else, not at your food place.

Realize age is nothing, and be happy people are even interested in you.

OR always wear a Jimmy Carter face mask (But cut out the mouth part so you can still eat)

• Like 1
  • Author
ForgetMeNots
ah,ok, that makes it different.

and I was trying to be COMICALLY condescending with my remarks, but not sure if that translated well across the net. :)

Only option is to NOT be friendly. Don't look at others, and never smile at them. Just do that everywhere else, not at your food place.

Realize age is nothing, and be happy people are even interested in you.

OR always wear a Jimmy Carter face mask (But cut out the mouth part so you can still eat)

Pfff haha, yea I didnt catch the comical part at first. :D Oh lord, welp that'll be a tough order to do. Gonna need tape for the no smile part.

soserious1

Get up a few minutes earlier & have breakfast at home, alternatively take your food outside to your car. There's no real way to tell customers to bugger off while sitting in the restaurant dining room.

maybealone

I would just be honest. Say something like, "I don't mean to be rude, but I only have a few minutes to finish my breakfast or I will be late for work."

Also, if there are windows, sit facing the window and watch people outside rather than inside. You are less likely to make eye contact, and in the event you do make eye contact, it should be less likely that the person comes into the restaurant to talk to you.

Eating outside is a good idea too. If you don't have a car nearby, find a bench or something.