Does Valentines day mean anything to you?

theedge

Just curious as to how people think of VD(ok bad choice to shorten it, I am sure everyone hates VD) Anyway, when your single do you feel extra lonely? Never had a S/O and it never bothered you? I know a lot of single people are going crazy right now, just because of that day and being alone. Me personally, never had a g/f on VD and it has never phases me.

To the couples out there, does your S/O make the day a big one or just pass it off as another day? I am actually really curious on input with this to see how people think of the day.

I have always tried to be a little extra romantic and bought flowers on V-Day, but my spouse never even thinks about it, just passes it off as another day and has asked me to do the same--but I don't! ;) I didn't think about it when I was single, but if I was dating someone on V-Day they always got flowers and/or candy because I like giving gifts - not because I felt obligated. My spouse used to feel obligated because I did something, but we worked it out so no one feels guilty and we just do what we want on that day. If I give a gift I don't expect anything in return. I know I'm loved.

Valentine's Day means another excuse for me to spend money on a gift so my wife doesn't get pissed off at me.

We should be able to give someone something when we feel like it, not because a materialistic society guilts me into it on certain days of the year.

Valentine's Day is an excuse to have chocolate :bunny: When I was single, my friends and I gave each other chocolates. When I was married, husband and I exchanged goodie gifts and also exchanged them with friends.

Sure - there were also romantic-dinners-plus-desserts, but really the meaning of Valentine's Day is CHOCOLATE :D

but really the meaning of Valentine's Day is CHOCOLATE

Not for me, moi. No sweet tooth.

Not for me, moi. No sweet tooth.

:eek: I believe this means you have to turn in your 'girl' card.

Actually, when you're a kid with no sweet tooth, holidays such as Valentine's Day, Easter and Halloween can be very profitable indeed!!!

Since my siblings and the kids in my neighborhood got just as pitiful an allowance as I did at the time, I could easily barter my candy for other special considerations, like borrowing someone's 10-speed bike for instance. :D

Okay, phew, as long as you exchange things you don't really like in order to get what you REALLY want--you can have your 'girl' card back. :p

Kevin! And I thought you were a romantic!! Another illusion shattered :(

I love valentines day. The anonymous cards (OK not that many now married but I still remember the thrill), the champagne, the flowers, the chocolate, the excuse to concentrate solely on your lover and know that you will be doing everything you can to thrill each other :love:

Actually I'm just very immature - I am child like about Birthdays and Christmas too.

To me birthdays are different - those are special.

Thanks, dyer. I think I just figured out how I ended up drawn to working in banking/finance! :laugh:

i dunno, for me vday just passes as if it was an average day.

just about everytime i dont come to realize when is vday nor do i ask nor do i care...

im thinking of making moves on this girl the week before vday....but NOT cause it's vday, just cause i wanna do it asap

Originally posted by meanon

I love valentines day. The anonymous cards (OK not that many now married but I still remember the thrill), the champagne, the flowers, the chocolate, the excuse to concentrate solely on your lover and know that you will be doing everything you can to thrill each other :love:

Actually I'm just very immature - I am child like about Birthdays and Christmas too.

LOL meanon... That is exactly how I feel about Valentines Day, Christmas and birthdays...like a big kid! I look forward to Valentine's Day. I did the organising last year, so it's my partner's turn this year. :)

PS when I was single, I used to be happy if I got a card, and a little glum if I got nothing!

vday is ok, usually a waste of money, but this year I have a plan cooking on the burner, it is gonna melt a girl's heart, after vday I will reveal what i did and its success...or failure, but i dont think that it will fail.

I'm excited for this V day! My bf and I are taking a trip to Philadelphia (just to get away from NYC) for the whole weekend and I think it's going to be really fun and romantic. This will actually be the first time I've ever really celebrated Valentines...normally I would just sit at home and watch sappy love movies with other single friends. I don't hate V day when I'm single...it is after all supposed to be a celebration of love--how could you hate that? But I am looking forward to spending it with someone special this year.

I have bad V-Day memories from second grade. I also can't stand the "duty" holidays - it is a real turnoff when my man goes and buys some schlocky thing that he saw advertised as a surefire "heartmelter". It feels so programmed. I would rather have all my quirky preferences studied and known than have a fella bring me chocolates or flowers on the big day.

And let's not even talk about dinner out on V-Day - the overcrowded restaurants, with special high-priced menus and indifferent food. The waitstaff working their hardest to crank the bodies through. The overblown expectations all around you, so thick you could cut them with a knife.

That said, there's something about the symbolism of V-Day that makes me feel it must at least be nodded to - perhaps just a handmade card or small loaf of banana nut bread laid at the altar, and "Happy V-Day lover" type remark made.

Meanon, I"m a VERY romantic guy, I don't need a specific day to show that. If I'm seeing a girl, I'll buy her roses or a nice necklace out of nowhere, for no reason, or cook all the time for her, stuff like that. No illusion shattered!

However, in my last relationship, the fact that I hated VDay didn't go over too smoothly with my ex, so maybe I oughta learn to love that damn holiday.

Originally posted by Miss Digital

I'm excited for this V day! My bf and I are taking a trip to Philadelphia...

You might want to check out the chocolate buffet at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel while you're here. Some of my friends have gone and they consider it one of their favorite guilty pleasures.

Some info on it is available here:

http://www.cheap-hotel-rooms.com/Philadelphia/The-Ritz-Carlton-Philadelphia.htm

Scroll about halfway down the page to where they talk about dining. It's in the section on The Rotunda.

With or without someone in my life.....V-Day has never been a big deal in my heart. I don't consider it all that special. I usually put together a gift box for my children with some related items (kinda like a Christmas stocking)....I give a card if I'm dating someone I even like.......and don't give anything to anyone else.

I don't know what it is, but I was awkward around guys for so long that when I finally was with someone on V-day, I had all these expectations.

Unfortunately, my first V-day with a significant other went down in flames. I got the d*** roses that I'd always wanted, but we ended up in a screaming match over something stupid that evening.

My second V-day with the same significant other was the exact same thing. I flew in to New York to see him, and an hour after I'd landed, the chocolates he'd bought me had ended up in the trash (He tossed them in the trash) and I was crying.

This upcoming V-day, I'm not with the same person. But I'm nervous. I already see something horrible happening. Why? Because I feel like I'm going to be disappointed with anything short of roses and a nice dinner out. And I don't think I'm going to get roses and a nice dinner out, because I know this guy. He's a great guy, really sweet and special, but I don't think he'll do it (not because he doesn't like me, but just because, of, like, who he is).

I hate Vday because it sets me up for disappointment. Why? I was the "ugly duckling" for the vast majority of my life that now that I finally am dating, I want all the delayed romance up front, it's like, all of a sudden it's "payback time" for all the romance I missed out on.

Ugh. I dislike the holiday immensely. Its just so commercialized these days and "expected".

To quote the Simpsons: "Love doesn't exist anymore. It was acquired in a hostile take-over by Disney and Hallmark and sold off piece by piece."

Maybe I'm just bitter..naaaah. :p

• 3 weeks later...
JetScooterSteve

I go with kevin on this, Vday is just an excuse for unromantic guys to be romantic for a night. Most guys are as romantic as they need to be, without valentines day