Experiences with Speed Dating?

Jane2011

In approximately ten minutes, I'm leaving the house to do a speed dating event. Will be my third time doing it, life time (spaced apart by years -- 2004, 2011, and now 2012). Hopefully this third time is a charm, 'cause the first two times were fruitless as...things without fruit.

I had something in the works in my love life for the past three weeks. Was really looking forward to it. But it all fell apart last night. And I'm upset. So I'm just gonna go to this speed dating event that I signed up for about four weeks ago.

Ugh. I'm prepared for it to suck. But I was getting tired of OLD, so....

Oh, I guess my question is: have you done speed dating before and how did you like it?

Edited by Jane2011
january2011

Nope, a friend suggested it but I never took her up on her offer.

It sounds like it would be fun just to experience it once, even if there were no other positive outcome than being able to tick an imaginary box to say that I've tried it.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

In approximately ten minutes, I'm leaving the house to do a speed dating event. Will be my third time doing it, life time (spaced apart by years -- 2004, 2011, and now 2012). Hopefully this third time is a charm, 'cause the first two times were fruitless as...things without fruit.

I had something in the works in my love life for the past three weeks. Was really looking forward to it. But it all fell apart last night. And I'm upset. So I'm just gonna go to this speed dating event that I signed up for about four weeks ago.

Oh, I guess my question is: have you done speed dating before and how did you like it?

I did speed dating once.

It was really boring, every girl wanted to talk about the same exact thing as the last person.

And then once it was all over and done, I got zero matches. Waste of my time.

The best way for a man to get any results with speed dating, is to say yes to everybody and then just see what women actually say yes to them. That's something I should have done, and maybe I would have gotten a match(s).

But you're a girl, so you get to pick and choose who you actually like...

• Author

I met approximately ten men and didn't choose any of them. One of them I had a lot in common with (same profession, mostly) and just good conversation in general, but I wasn't physically attracted to him -- so no dice.

A couple women who were there just up and left right in the middle of it. This happened at a previous speed dating event I went to as well (this hottie girl just looked around at the selection of males and was outa there quickly). Kinda rude.

I actually enjoyed just talking to people. I'm good at asking questions and taking an interest in what people do, what their hobbies and interests are, etc., and following up with questions based on what they say.

I don't think I'm going to do speed dating again, though. This was my third time doing it and not liking any of the men, so I guess speed dating just doesn't work well for me.

I did meet a newly-divorced woman there who was really sweet to talk to. I gave her info about Match and OkCupid (she didn't know how either worked). Told me she was going to get on OkCupid.

january2011
I did meet a newly-divorced woman there who was really sweet to talk to. I gave her info about Match and OkCupid (she didn't know how either worked). Told me she was going to get on OkCupid.

Not a complete waste of time then. Shame you didn't find anyone that you were attracted to!

• Like 1

I honestly thought speed dating was a TV thing til LS. I think it's pretty cool that people go out there and do it, but I wonder what kind of success rate there is as I assume most of it is based on initial physical attraction (how long do you talk? like 10 min?)

• Author
I honestly thought speed dating was a TV thing til LS. I think it's pretty cool that people go out there and do it, but I wonder what kind of success rate there is as I assume most of it is based on initial physical attraction (how long do you talk? like 10 min?)

The event I attended was five minutes. Although that might seem a short period of time, it's actually plenty to get the basics about a person. (What do you do? What part of town do you live in? Activities? Hobbies? Favorite Movies? -- I'll admit I didn't think up any clever questions beforehand. It's just as well; I don't have time for that clever quirky questions b.s., lol).

Anyway, in reality, five minutes is an eternity when you know right off the bat that you're not interested but still have to fill five minutes with polite talk so as not to be a complete biatch.

I have no idea what the success rate is. I'm thinking it's low, but naturally the people who host it always talk like it's a miracle-working thing. The hostess tonight said something in her introductory speech like, "I've only been doing this since December, and I've been invited to three weddings already..."

I was thinking...yeah right. Whatever. Liar.

Eh, maybe not...?

Total shot in the dark. I did it 17 times with no luck.

Verdict: if you like surprises, great. But if you know what you want, forget it.

• Author

Yeah, I think I'm done with it. I'm not wasting my money anymore. Three tries is enough to say I gave it a shot.