How Long Until You Tell Your Parents You're Dating Someone

imfromhoiland

imfromhoiland

This is mainly just a curiosity thing, just to take a break from all the drama threads!

So the question is pretty simple. You start dating someone, how long after you start dating them do you tell your parents?

I realize that this can vary greatly from person to person, which is why I'm curious!

Well I'm pretty close with my parents and I talk to them on almost a daily basis so if the guy has potential I usually tell them (at least my mom) after the first couple of good dates. If it doesn't at least come up in conversation with my mom by date 3 it's probably not going anywhere.

I typically never talk to my parents about this. To this day, they only know of one girl I've dated...

Depends really. I still live at home and my mum is very involving, the kind of mum that will call me at 10pm when I'm out, "son, it's late, come home", I'm like "MUM! I'M 23!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!". So she will typically have 100 million questions about what I'm doing, and I don't like lying (anymore). So she will probably know from the very beginning. Until I move out that is....

As for my dad, he doesn't ask as he knows I have nothing to tell, when I do, I'll tell him in my own time, and I'm sure he respects that.

Depends really. I still live at home and my mum is very involving, the kind of mum that will call me at 10pm when I'm out, "son, it's late, come home", I'm like "MUM! I'M 23!!! LEAVE ME ALONE!". So she will typically have 100 million questions about what I'm doing, and I don't like lying (anymore). So she will probably know from the very beginning. Until I move out that is....

As for my dad, he doesn't ask as he knows I have nothing to tell, when I do, I'll tell him in my own time, and I'm sure he respects that.

Lol. My mom's exactly like that too. She drove me up the wall with 50 questions about everythning I do. Once I moved out, I didn't mind talking to her so much.

I don't say anything to my mom until I make it to the third date.

This is mainly just a curiosity thing, just to take a break from all the drama threads!

So the question is pretty simple. You start dating someone, how long after you start dating them do you tell your parents?

I realize that this can vary greatly from person to person, which is why I'm curious!

I live with my mom currently (and have for the past six months), so I pretty much tell her right away. When I wasn't live with her, though, I'd just tell her when I happened to talk to her. I'm not terribly secretive with my mother. I don't tell her about my sex life, of course, but I'll just tell her "I'm seeing someone..." She usually asks a few questions and wants to know what he's generally like, but she's not terribly nosy.

I live with my mom currently (and have for the past six months), so I pretty much tell her right away. When I wasn't living with her, though, I'd just tell her when I happened to talk to her. I'm not terribly secretive with my mother. I don't tell her about my sex life, of course, but I'll just tell her "I'm seeing someone..." She usually asks a few questions and wants to know what he's generally like, but she's not terribly nosy.

You start dating someone, how long after you start dating them do you tell your parents?

As long as possible! My parents like to offer unsolicited advice and ask nosy questions, so the less they know about my life, the better. And when they do find out, then they want to meet the guy and I have to beg them to act normal in front of him.

My last boyfriend was actually kind of insulted by this because he had already introduced me to all his family and friends, and I still hadn't told my parents that I was dating someone. (My friends had met him though.) He thought I was keeping him a secret from my parents, like I was ashamed of him. He was like "Are you hiding me from them?" I was like "No, I'm hiding them from you!" He understood once I explained the situation.

Ninjainpajamas

I don't let my parents know about someone I am dating unless I know I am going to be serious with them or I get stuck in a situation where I have to.

I'm not big on letting them know everyone I have seen or dated, It has to progress to a level of worth mentioning, else what is the point?

mortensorchid

Depends on living conditions. If you live with one or both parents, then obviously they will know at least some of your comings and goings. They may know from Day 1. If you are not living with them ...

I'd say after about 2 or 3 months is a good point. Let them know "I'm going out with this new guy/girl (name) now." Mention him/her in a casual conversation here and there like what you did or didn't do over the weekend. As to when you introduce them to each other? Maybe 6 - 9 months or so.

Almost never.

I don't talk about my relationships with my dad and I only tell my mother about guys after we are over. Since I don't want to hear her b.s unneeded advice.

I've been married 3 times, have 2 natural children, 2 step-children and my mom STILL believes I'm a virgin....

ok, I'm kidding....:D

But I think things should be mentioned, even if only for your own safety.....

I tell them whenever, I guess. I don't wait a specific period of time or anything. I might tell them before the first date, if I happen to be at their house. Or I might go on 6 dates before I see them. I don't call them to update them on my dating life or anything. My current bf, I mentioned it the weekend after our first date, I think. They were like "oh cool". It's not a big deal. We don't discuss it in depth or anything.

Never. Had a bad experience early on where my Mom and an ex became virtually best friends... which is all fine until you break up. Now I tell them when a wedding date is set you'll be the first to know.

Never. Had a bad experience early on where my Mom and an ex became virtually best friends... which is all fine until you break up. Now I tell them when a wedding date is set you'll be the first to know.

oh god!!

My parents have never actually liked any of my exes, LOL, so never thought of anything like that happening!

Oxy Moronovich

I typically never talk to my parents about this. To this day, they only know of one girl I've dated...

The same with me. My parents only know of one girl I dated while I still lived with them. I'm a grown man. They don't need to know this info. Besides, my mom is a big gossip, nosey, and always criticizing my taste in women. If it's not a woman specifically from our church, there's a 99% chance she will have a problem with my gf.

I'll only tell my parents who I am dating if I propose to the woman. Since I haven't proposed they don't need to know.

Incidentally, I never meet my gf's parents (I also try to avoid close friends unless I am on good terms with her friends prior to dating). I've had bad experiences with overprotective parents of my SO ruining my relationships (as have other men and women).

• Author
imfromhoiland

I find that I'll tell my dad if I can see it going somewhere. He doesn't try to shove and advice down my throat and is still interested and will ask how it is going every once in a while.

I won't tell my mom until before the whole "boyfriend/girlfriend" tag is about to become official. She'd kill me if she heard through someone else that I had a girlfriend, but I still don't want her to know as she would ask me about it all of the time!