Women and men who look too different from their natural selves, fake or attractive?

taintedlove

Hello everyone

I was wondering what you all think about people who dress up, put on make up in a woman's case and/or dye their hair and end up looking very different?

An example is a naturally dark-haired and light-skinned Asian girl who dyes her hair dark blonde, wears green coloured contact lenses, spray tans and wears medium-heavy make up. Just an example, I am Asian so I am not making it a dig.

Do you find it attractive that they end up looking more sexier or a turn-off that they look too different to what they looked like originally?

I think it's tacky in general. I'm not a fan of "I'd rather be the ugliest bleach blonde with fake tan than a beautiful pale girl with dark hair" look that seems to have permeated North American society.

There's people who just like to be creative (fine) and then those who just hate what they're born with. Ick

I find spray tan generally unattractive regardless of gender but I can see why people - especially women - get bored of their haircolour, etc. There is nothing wrong with a little experimenting, it doesn't necessarily mean it comes across as fake if it's well done. Bleached blonde is probably not ideal for a very dark haired girl because it usually looks yellow - unless it's expensively done.

• Author
I think it's tacky in general. I'm not a fan of "I'd rather be the ugliest bleach blonde with fake tan than a beautiful pale girl with dark hair" look that seems to have permeated North American society.

There's people who just like to be creative (fine) and then those who just hate what they're born with. Ick

I agree that it sometimes looks very tacky. However, different societies have different standards of beauty. Men and women get a positive response when they try to fit into these standards. A woman with bleached blonde hair gets much more attention than a brunette does.

Do you think women are trying to conform to these American standards in order to be more desirable? Maybe doing this makes people in our society look at them more favourably, ending up with better self-esteem and more opportunities in general.

I think most women of a certain age dye their hair. But I enjoy a natural looking woman. That includes breast implants and other plastic surgery.

kiss_andmakeup

The only really "unnatural" thing I do to myself would be colouring my hair...and I do it because a) I'm in the cosmetology field and like to participate in colour trends, and b) being a redhead actually looks more "natural" on me than my "natural" mousy brown colour!

I'm very fair-skinned and have no desire to tan/self-tan/go nuts on the bronzer. Every guy I've been with has found the fact that I can "work" the porcelain look very attractive.

I think enhancements like hair colouring and makeup are great, as long as they enhance the person's natural beauty, rather than making them look like a totally different person.

I think spray tans look very fake and rather orange and unnatural. I think dark skinned women and Asian women do not look good with blonde hair--too unnatural looking. Fake boobs do not look attractive, IMO, because I always think of plastic bags surgically inserted when I see women who have them, and that seems repulsive and unhealthy to me. Makeup that is applied well can be very attractive. I saw a magazine a few days ago with pictures of stars without their makeup, and I was surprised at how bad these women looked without their makeup on. Coloring your hair can be very attractive if it goes well with your skin coloring. I think a majority of women do color their hair, even young women. I had very dark hair with very light skin for most of my life, but dyed it blonde a year ago, and I'm happy with the result. I can pull off that color, since my skin is very fair, and people assume the blonde is my natural color.

I'm weird in the sense that I'm quite a tomboy in terms of my interests and friendships etc, but I dye my hair (just darker than it's real colour), have perfectly applied makeup every day and have acrylic nails from the salon. I just find that I feel I look at my absolute best with a blow dry, nice nails and well-applied makeup and then I feel great even in jeans and a t shirt. I can't really imagine not having a perfect manicure or not shaving, just makes me feel unhygienic.

On guys I like the natural look, though I do like tattoos on strong arms too and they're unnatural. I'm extremely pale and work it well, I'd never go for a fake or real tan.