What does it mean when your ex boyfriend still wants to be friends with you?

Gypsie

My boyfriend ends things today. :(. Yet he says I am a fantastic person and wants to remain friends.

What does he mean by that? I mean if I was that fantastic. Why not work things out and still want to be my boyfriend.

I voiced opinions on certain things I was not happy with and he would not meet me half way with it. That is the reason of the break up.

He has even still left me on Facebook and everything.

Reckon their is a slight chance we could get back together again later on down the track or not?

People don't like to hurt other people, and so sometimes they throw out this stupid line of "We can still be friends" when they have no intention of being friends with you. Unless you really WOULD like to have dinner with him and his new GF, or really do want to go help his new GF move into his apt - because those are things that friends do for each other.

It's like giving a child a sucker to take his mind off the fact that the shot hurt.

Or he could possibly be trying to keep the door open for a booty call.

Do you WANT to be friends with him? Wouldn't it hurt too bad to be merely friends instead of lovers? Would it keep you from healing and moving on, because you would stay stuck on the idea that "if I am pretty enough or fun enough or just enough then he will want to get back together"?

I have learned the hard way its hard to be friends with someone you were at one time romantically connected with. Sometimes the best thing is to cut ties with that person. If they want you back they will get in touch with you. Its best to do that so you can move on.

SincereOnlineGuy

OP,

You are not stating clearly who "ended things".

You tell of having "voiced opinions" (or was that made demands?) and of his not meeting you halfway (or was that not giving into your demands?), and then of his breaking up with you.

IF indeed this translates to your having broken-up with HIM... then of COURSE he wants to suggest the guise of being "friends" so he may then see himself as (remaining/being) in-line to keep banging you.

IF he really did 'end things' with you today, then his idea of 'being friends' is just trying to be nice long enough to extract himself from the scene.

He still wants to be able to have sex with you. Nothing more in my opinion.

I wouldnt quite make that conclusion without some more information. I know for me, with my first serious girlfriend, first one I said, I Love You to, I wanted to remain friends because she was so important to me in my development. I will always have a special connection to her and wish her and I could still be friends, but that is life.

Not every guy is just looking to get sex with their ex

• Author

No. I just voiced opinions. He ended things cause he was to busy and had a lot on he's plate. Just wish I knew this earlier. Then I would have eased up on the relationship a bit more. I said I would do if we continued. Now I know what the deal was.

He canceled on me a few times as well. I did not understand why at first and snapped at him a few times after he did it. Apparently that is normal that things come up last minute for him. Got frustrated cause had barely seen or heard from him in like 2, 3 weeks.

See. I did not know this. Now I do. Would have accepted it more. He just doesn't think I would. I just told him I did not know what was going on before. Hence why I reacted the way I did. Now I do. Would be more fine with it.

He also told me he still likes me. I said I do to. Even compliments my new hair. He does not deny there is still something between us.

When I brought that up. He was like if it is meant to be it will work out, happen.

Before he left. He looks at me like he wants a hug but I felt so hurt that he could not meet me half way at this point in time. Got a bit teary and couldn't look at him. This went on for like 5 minutes then he was like "I gotta go. We will catch up later on."

Any more thoughts on this? Guys opinions would help!

Edited by Gypsie