My mum is racist but i'm starting to think my bf's mum is a bit racist too

sexygurl2011

sexygurl2011

Hi guys, so my story is gonna be a bit long. I'm 22 years old and my bf is 25. We've been in a relationship for a year and half now and things are great! I'm black African and he's English. My mum is the most racist and the nicest person you would ever meet! She's oh so nice to white people and she's even got white friends, but she's always said she wouldn't like any of her children to marry a white person.

I think you can guess what her reaction was when she found out I was going out with a white guy. She eventually acted like she was ok with things and I even brought my man home to meet her and she was sooooo fake to his face being all nice until he left. I use to be close to my mum and tell her everything but I don't anymore. My bf will come over to our house, she'll be really nice to him, but as soon as he leaves, she'll start making snide comments about white people and how I could do better, and how he's not good looking etc I think she's secretly hoping we'd break up so I can get with a black man. She's always saying stuff like 'oh you'd never know, you might still end up with a black guy'. Things like that get me down because none of my black ex bf's have ever treated me as nice as my bf does.

Anyway, the real problem now is this..My bf was a bit sceptical at first introducing me to his parents because he said they wouldn't approve that I was black. But, to my surprise, they were very very nice to me when I met them that I started to wonder the real reason why my bf didn't want me to meet them earlier. BUT I started noticing certain thing like when we all go out and situation warrants taking pictures, she doesn't ask for me to be in the picture or anything. she also always introduce me to people as her son's 'friend'. Never as her son's 'girlfriend'. whereas she introduces her daughter's boyfriend to people as her daughter's 'boyfriend' and not 'friend' if you know what i mean. She's overly nice and acts exactly as fake as my mum acts whenever my bf is around. So I'm thinking could she be like my mum??? Was my bf right in not wanting to introduce me to her at first?... Because these days it seems parents are ok for you to have friends of another race but when you tell them you're dating them, hell freezes over. Thank you and sorry it's long :)

SincereOnlineGuy

The term "racism" relates to a feeling that one race is 'better' than another.

While you might truly know that your own mother feels that way about certain races, you've not explained anything about the boyfriend's parents which makes it clear they think one race is "better" than another.

Why do you feel it is OK to have "sexual preference" and not "racial preference"???

If I wander out into the world and decide I'd prefer to have sex with women... it isn't automatically a belief that I feel women are somehow 'better' than men (as human beings).

Feelsgoodman
Hi guys, so my story is gonna be a bit long. I'm 22 years old and my bf is 25. We've been in a relationship for a year and half now and things are great! I'm black African and he's English. My mum is the most racist and the nicest person you would ever meet! She's oh so nice to white people and she's even got white friends, but she's always said she wouldn't like any of her children to marry a white person.

That's not "racist". People like to throw the R-word around these days without thinking about what it actually means.

Racism is when you hate another person because he or she is of a different race. Opposition to miscegenation is not racism; it's a normal reaction from someone who has not been brainwashed by Hollywood and MTV. Your mom deserves more credited than you are giving her.

TheCoolest
That's not "racist". People like to throw the R-word around these days without thinking about what it actually means.

Racism is when you hate another person because he or she is of a different race. Opposition to miscegenation is not racism; it's a normal reaction from someone who has not been brainwashed by Hollywood and MTV. Your mom deserves more credited than you are giving her.

Whoa. You from the misc bro? If you are feelsbadman.jpg

Messed up that you think interracial dating is wrong. Or at least thats kinda how you make it sound.

But anyway you're wrong racism is just thinking that you are better than other races. So first answer is right. I think most people are racist. I am probably racist but that doesn't mean i hate anyone based on there race.

Op why does it matter? My family doesn't like my girlfriend because she is arab. Thats the same thing as white to them. Well i wouldn't say they don't like her but they make there little comments. So what? They will get used to it trust me.

Feelsgoodman
Messed up that you think interracial dating is wrong. Or at least thats kinda how you make it sound.

No, it's messed up that you think interracial dating is right. Or at least that's kinda how you make it sound.

I have no idea what you mean by "you from the misc bro". If you translate that statement from ebonics (or whatever slang you happen to be using) into English, perhaps I will understand it.

But anyway you're wrong racism is just thinking that you are better than other races.

Racism is the belief in the supremacy of one race over the others. Look it up in the dictionary.

Actually, most people are much more racist than they believe to. It's one thing to let other people be and not enslave them, it's another if you think they should live in their own hermetic communities and not interact with other races at will.

By that rule, I'm quite racist as well.