I'm meeting his son today

OliveOyl

And I'm nervous. :eek: :eek:

His son is only 6 (or almost 6). Supposedly he can be a little terror. I'm not worried about that, just nervous in general.

That's all. Just a fairly empty vent thread.

i can't find any reason to be nervous/anxious over meeting a 5 year old

NoReallyThatHappened

Let me know how it goes. My BF has a 5 year old son I haven't met yet. I'm excited about it, yet extremely nervous!

Let me know how it goes. My BF has a 5 year old son I haven't met yet. I'm excited about it, yet extremely nervous!

why are you nervous about meeting a 5 year old??? i mean if he was 15 then i could see it...

NoReallyThatHappened

"Mommy...I met Daddy's friend NRTH!"

Commence phone calls and stalking from the bat **** crazy ex. :sick: She's already stalked some other chick she "thought" he might be dating. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeat....can't wait for her to find out about me.

Plus what if his son gets his feelings hurt, thinks his Dad will abandon him, etc. I was in the same position as his kid and I remember hating it.

Don't sweat it OliveOyl, I'm sure the kid will like you - just pay attention to him and play with him.... make it all about him the first time you meet him and be careful not to do PDAs with your SO cause his son may get jealous!

I recently met my SO's six year old son (not really his but he got with his ex when she already had him at 11 months and the real dad has never been in the picture) I also met his 4 year old daughter. They both played with me the entire time and they turned out to be really good kids.

Haven't met baby's mama yet. Not really looking forward to it so I hope it doesn't happen any time soon!

Good luck, and remeber, when it comes down to it, it's about YOU and your SO!;)

Dan The Stud
Don't sweat it OliveOyl, I'm sure the kid will like you - just pay attention to him and play with him.... make it all about him the first time you meet him and be careful not to do PDAs with your SO cause his son may get jealous!

I recently met my SO's six year old son (not really his but he got with his ex when she already had him at 11 months and the real dad has never been in the picture) I also met his 4 year old daughter. They both played with me the entire time and they turned out to be really good kids.

Haven't met baby's mama yet. Not really looking forward to it so I hope it doesn't happen any time soon!

Good luck, and remeber, when it comes down to it, it's about YOU and your SO!;)

are you hot?

LOL! I don't know... that's all in the eye of the beholder. But let's just say that yes, I am desirable! Even by single guys;)

Dan The Stud
LOL! I don't know... that's all in the eye of the beholder. But let's just say that yes, I am desirable! Even by single guys;)

id need a full body pic to know. i like good boobs for starters

Hi Olive - I'm sure you'll do great and hopefully your BF will be a good go-between for you and his son.

I don't know much about boys, but with my 4 year old niece, she pretty much takes the lead. And I follow.

alexlakeman

I hope that dad/bf doesn't make it like a formal thing, "son, that's my gf", kinda thing...

I don't even think about it when in that scenario...just happens.. I don't think anything of it, and my son doesn't either, he's 12 now, and has been in that scenario of meeting my women since he was 2 yrs old, lol..

Typically: "son, this is my friend melissa"... and take if from there, go to dinner at a kid friendly place, ie mc donald's or burger king WITH a kid's play area.. or a park..

You'll be more nervous than the kid or the bf lol..

The EX will TYPICALLY never be in the picture... why would she?? LOL when it comes to the guy's gf's..

I hope that dad/bf doesn't make it like a formal thing, "son, that's my gf", kinda thing.....

or too casual like, "son, this is the chick that i'm banging" :lmao:

whichwayisup
or too casual like, "son, this is the chick that i'm banging" :lmao:

:laugh::laugh:

Just relax.. Let the kid warm up to you and then ask him tons of questions about his toys, favourite Tv shows, movies, games he likes to play.

Bring him some of his favorite collecting cards.. like pokemon cards or whatever he is into..

Nothing like a bribe to bring on the connection..and do the gimmee five a bunch with him.. instant connection

alexlakeman

Buy him a new Apple Itouch, loaded with games.. has to be the 32 gig.. he'll love you and you'll be sure to tell his mom, "mommy, daddy's new g/f got me an itouch"!! :bunny:

alexlakeman
Bring him some of his favorite collecting cards.. like pokemon cards or whatever he is into..

Nothing like a bribe to bring on the connection..and do the gimmee five a bunch with him.. instant connection

Now that I remember... I did do that when I intro'd my son to one of the ex girlfreinds ... I happened to have bought some hot wheels I had not given to him, so told her to give it to him, the first time they met, certainly broke the ice, and what did it cost? $3-$4..

My formula with kids is much like that with cats. I don't chase them. I don't try too hard, but show interest and gauge their responsiveness. They tend to gravitate to you if you're natural and fun, but don't try too hard. They smell insincerity and mistrust you if you do.

NoReallyThatHappened
My formula with kids is much like that with cats. I don't chase them. I don't try too hard, but show interest and gauge their responsiveness. They tend to gravitate to you if you're natural and fun, but don't try too hard. They smell insincerity and mistrust you if you do.

I worry because I've never been around boys. I was raised in a world of women so bugs, dirt, and cars are a totally new thing for me.

I don't know why I'm even worried about my own future meetings. It's months away. The child lives about five hours away.

..and do the gimmee five a bunch with him.. instant connection

Sorry for the silly question but what is 'gimmee five a bunch'?:o

Ohhhhh...a 'low 5'! I gotcha! Thanks Art! lol:p

Yeah those are always a hit with kids, that and 'pound it!' (when you bump fists)

OliveOyl, I also meant to advise you to be careful of how you talk to your SO in front of his kids... example: My SO's six year old boy asked my why I called his Daddy 'babe'! I explained to him that babe is a word you can say to someone you think is good looking. Since I think his dad is handsome I called him babe.. followed by..is that ok? To which he replied: well, that means that you think that my daddy is more handsome than me because you don't call ME babe! LOL! He genuinely got jealous and stopped talking to me for about 10 minutes!:laugh:

So yeah, his son caught me off guard with that one! but I figured the best route was to be honest with him. This is all new to me (dating a man with kids) but I like children, and his are adorable! If you like kids too it shouldn't be too hard (unless of course you meet Dennis the Menace lol!). Just be yourself Olive and they will like you!;)

alexlakeman
I don't know why I'm even worried about my own future meetings. It's months away. The child lives about five hours away.

And here we thought it was NOW that you were meeting him, lol.. You don't even know if you guys will be together months from now.. so relax..

Wow, his own kid lives 5 hours away? So he doesn't see his son like every few days or does he make a 10 hour round trip drive few times a week?

• Author

Well the get-together with BF and his son went great. :bunny: At least on my end, and his son seemed to have a good time. When the little tyke wandered in my first impression was he was soooooooo cute. :love: We hung out while his son chatted and colored and looked through a big box of crayons for a "red" crayon ("wild strawberry" simply would not do!). Then my son came home from school and we all went to a pizza place that has a huge play structure. The kids really enjoyed it. (My kid is older but developmentally delayed, so he still enjoys that kind of thing).

BF's son did see us kiss goodbye :o and hopefully that did not traumatize him. He seemed fine though. BF said his son was on very good behavior. :)

alexlakeman

Glad it went great :D ...

Kids are not thinking so much about it as we are.. lol, at that age at least.