Text or Call?

Thedude22

Call or text when asking a girl out? Texting is less serious and more convenient but shows a lack of courage.

Calling shows courage but can come off as overly-serious or even creepy. Opinions?

Wow have things changed so much that calling to ask a woman out is perceived as creepy?

I'd call. Texting as a way to initiate a date seems weak. But it's fine to text to confirm things. Just my opinion.

Unless maybe you're in college. I have a feeling the rules are different there.

Call! I am always impressed with guys that actually call! It gives a better impression than just texting.

(unless you do it every minute of every hour of every day, as I had a guy do... well, he would call every day and there was no conversation... He also made the mistake of calling me at 7am once. I was off from work. I don't wake up before 11 on days off. He edged into ****list after that, and when the next day he decided that, even though I'd told him I was ill and was going to bed, calling me for an hour at 4am, after going out with his friends, was a good idea... I blocked his number)

• Author

I only wonder because I haven't gained much headway with texts lately and in the end it feels unresolved, I'd rather get rejected via phone then have an ambiguous decision via text.

I think it definitely has to be within two weeks of getting a girls number though, like you can't call some girl you haven't talked to in months and ask her out. Or can you? Haha I know I'd feel weird about that one.

Ruby Slippers

I think texting to ask a girl out is super lame. It screams wimp and/or lazy to me.

I would not say yes to a date invitation via text.

• Author

I personally have never written the words "do you wanna go out" via text. I just try to keep it casual like "wanna grab some coffee later" etc. then ask them out in person. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, it works for more situations than calling.

But yeah if the conditions are right calling is probably better.

Personally I prefer to call, that been said for my age bracket (20-25) girls seems to be much more receptive to text messages. Don't ask me why but thats what I have most success with. :rolleyes:

I asked some of my lady friends about this they said. Generally they communicate with people they know on a personal level via text, phone calls are generally from people they don't want to talk to (work, telemarketers, stalkers).

Don't know why this is but at least in the early stages of dating I've found girls in this age bracket prefer texting. I think its lame but.. can't argue with the results. :o

texting has existed as a system of communication for (arguably) around 19 years. (The first one was sent in 1992).

Calling - or speaking, as we old ones refer to it, quaintly - has existed for slightly longer than that.

Your parents had no problem with it, because clearly, here you are.

I'd opt for trying it.

As I said I prefer calling but some girls I date don't like talking on the phone, in the early stages of dating. *shrugs*

Then that's their problem, not yours.

These are the girls who will probably have communication problems later, and not know how important it is to be able to look someone in the eye, when talking to them....

Go for the talkers.

She said, typing......:D

I actually just got back from first date with a girl I met online. She didn't want to talk on the phone but gave me her number and was happy texting. In person she had no problem talking (and looking me in the eyes, lol). Don't know maybe its a generational thing?

Overall think it went pretty well, she seems pretty cool. Will see what happens. :laugh: