What does it mean when a guy says a girl is 'Attractive' vs 'Cute' or 'Nice'

conehead

I'm a girl. And usually, if I say a guy is 'nice'....I probably think he's a good guy but don't want to date him.

If he is 'cute', I think he is good-looking but I don't know if I like his personality/character yet and I might or might not want to date him.

If I say a guy is 'attractive'....that to me means I like him overall...to me he is probably good-looking and has a good personality and most likely he is dateable to me. If he has some relationship baggage then I might not want to date him, but if he's emotionally healthy and I find him 'attractive', then yes I will probably date him if he likes me back.

Now, for guys, how does this work exactly??? What does it mean when a guy says a girl is 'attractive?'

One of my girlfriends (call her A) has been trying to set me up with one of her guy friends' (call him B) friend (call him C). A has attempted to set us up a few times but finally a few days ago B told A that C is really busy and it wont work out. A said at least give it a try and B just flat out said no it won't work out. Then B asked A if I was dating anyone and A said that I'm not but I'd like to be in a relationship just that I havent found someone yet. B told A 'well, conehead's attractive'. B is single as well.

My friend A told me that maybe B is into me. The logic behind this is that we found it strange he was so adamant about not setting me up with his friend C yet at the same time he says I'm attractive. I kind of see this as being a possibility. But I also think it's possible that maybe he said that afterward so as to not to hurt my feelings since he refuses to set me up with his friend. But for months now there has been rumors he likes me and we had a few close calls but I know A likes B so as a friend I've basically backed off.

Anyway, when a guys says a girl is attractive, what does that translate to in guy talk?? haha

Eddie Edirol

Attractive might not mean anything since he is talking to your friend. But he could be cockblocking his friend so he can get to you. if he likes you, then your friend is in trouble, because he doesnt like her, when she likes him. But if he does like your friend, then he is just telling her that youre attractive so he doesnt get her mad at him for disparaging you.

So you wont know what it means until you find out if hes into you. If hes not, and he refuses to set you up with his friend, it means he doesnt think youre good enough for his friend.

I can only tell you what it means for me, but other guys may or may not agree.

nice = kind personality

cute = adorable (cuteness often comes with attractiveness)

hot = attractive as in sexually attractive, but not girlfriend material

attractive = not ugly (or just plain physically attractive)

stunning = I would turn my head when I see her walking in the street

beautiful = a combination of physically attractive, attractive personality, intelligent, kind, happy, stunning, an X-factor, and perhaps cute. Girls like that sweep me off my feet. They're "it-girls", they have something that you just can't describe with words.

I would say the word 'beautiful' is at the top of the pyramid for me, when I use that word for a girl, then she really impresses me and I want to date her.

Ow, too many criss crossing he said she said.

Nice has nothing to do with appearance.

Cute and above does. I would never call a girl cute or attractive if she didn't physically appeal to me.

to me attractive is both physically appealing and intellectually appealing. not overly either one, but a good mix of both. relationship material.

agree with nexus on hot, hot = i would screw her brains out but please god don't make me talk to her.

nice = not physically or intellectually desirable (either one or both), polite way of saying not really interested

never really use the word cute, don't know.

If I say your cute, beautiful it means I like you a lot ;). I would never call a girl cute or beautiful if I wasn't interested in them.

All the others I use very rarely if ever.

Anyway, when a guys says a girl is attractive, what does that translate to in guy talk??

My datapoint is, when I look in her eyes, I feel it's a place I can be for the rest of my life, barring red flags which preclude a healthy relationship. It doesn't happen that often but, when it does, I don't even notice the rest of what she looks like. Like I recently mentioned to R_P, it's like I see her whole life in her eyes, from a young girl to an old lady, one I wouldn't mind growing old with. If I happen to run across one where such is mutual, perhaps it'll make for an interesting second half of life :)

Nice and cute are more objective terms I use to describe women whom I admire and feel possess wonderful attributes and characteristics. It's akin to how a woman feels about a man who she loves as a brother.

to me attractive is both physically appealing and intellectually appealing. not overly either one, but a good mix of both. relationship material.

agree with nexus on hot, hot = i would screw her brains out but please god don't make me talk to her.

nice = not physically or intellectually desirable (either one or both), polite way of saying not really interested

never really use the word cute, don't know.

My hot teacher, I told her she's a "lovely lady" last week.

• Author

uh oh, I made a huge boo boo. I let my ego get the best of me. I guess I was somewhat obsessing why C won't even want to meet me so I finally gave in and messaged B (he is my friend too and we message once in a blue moon) to say hi and jokingly mentioned that I heard he thought I wasnt good enough for his friend. B replied back that his friend is looking into dating a particular girl right now. I felt a bit rejected but if what B said is true then I won't take it personally. Like I said, my ego got the best of me because I told my friend A about the messaging and she got really mad at me, telling me that B will probably never talk to her again. I feel so awful, I didn't think that far ahead omgosh.

Honestly though, B is a real jerk. He lives in another state from us. Over the weekend he told my friend A that he's visiting for the weekend and asked her to hang out and A was so excited and said yes and then friday comes and he doesnt call her so A calls him to ask whats up and he said actually he cant hang out. He said he's closer to his other friends than with her so he has to hang out with them instead. A and B have not seen each other in 4 months and he can't even take out 2 hours of his time to see her -- she likes him a lot and if he's into her at all he would have wanted to see her. Also, at the end of the messaging between me and B, B also asked me when we can hang out again (this was after he flew back to his other state ofcourse). I didn't take that seriously at all after what he did to my friend so I was just like 'yea, ofcourse, when you visit again'. But still, I was at fault for breaching my friend A's trust and I feel so bad. I guess I just didn't like the rejection and was secretly hoping it's because B likes me hence trying to sabotage the set-up but the truth is that C is just not interested in me I think. I hope she's not mad at me forever.

I can only tell you what it means for me, but other guys may or may not agree.

nice = kind personality

cute = adorable (cuteness often comes with attractiveness)

hot = attractive as in sexually attractive, but not girlfriend material

attractive = not ugly (or just plain physically attractive)

stunning = I would turn my head when I see her walking in the street

beautiful = a combination of physically attractive, attractive personality, intelligent, kind, happy, stunning, an X-factor, and perhaps cute. Girls like that sweep me off my feet. They're "it-girls", they have something that you just can't describe with words.

I would say the word 'beautiful' is at the top of the pyramid for me, when I use that word for a girl, then she really impresses me and I want to date her.

I'm surprised that attractive only means not ugly? :confused:

I'm surprised that attractive only means not ugly? :confused:

I defined it that way because every guy has their own definition of what type of women they find attractive. In order for me to include all the women that fall into that group, I had to define attractiveness like that. But if you asked guys individually about whether a girl is attractive or not, well then they would deem them only attractive when they are actually attracted to them. But if I had to give my individual definition of the women that I find attractive, then it would be defined the same as I defined 'beautiful'. Hence I defined 'attractive' in a more general way, because every guy has his own taste in this regard and I didn't want to use the same definition as I did for 'beautiful' for that word.

I'm not sure this makes any sense to you haha.

I defined it that way because every guy has their own definition of what type of women they find attractive. In order for me to include all the women that fall into that group, I had to define attractiveness like that. But if you asked guys individually about whether a girl is attractive or not, well then they would deem them only attractive when they are actually attracted to them. But if I had to give my individual definition of the women that I find attractive, then it would be defined the same as I defined 'beautiful'. Hence I defined 'attractive' like that, because every guy has their own taste in this regard and I didn't want to use the same definition as beautiful for that word.

I'm not sure this makes any sense to you haha.

Thanks. I've been called attractive so was just curious. :D