red flags

countingstarsagain

countingstarsagain

Last night my boyfriend of over a year and I went to a friend's house for a party. He told me before we went I could drink as much as I want, but he was going to lay low. Everything was fine and all of a sudden, the alcohol hits me and I get a little sick. No scene, just went to the upstairs bathroom, did my business, nobody even knew except for my girlfriend who went with me. For some reason, he gets a little irate with me and drops my sick self off at my house all alone and goes out anyway. Was this wrong of him? I would never leave my sick boyfriend alone and just go out and do my own thing. It has really hurt my feelings that he doesn't show me that he cares about me. Everybody drinks a little too much sometimes, and he definitely has a few times, and I stuck right there with him.

Professor X

Of course it was wrong of him. I really wonder why did he run off with a few of his friends. That was indeed quite cruel.

I remember when my ex' got so drunk at some party once that she couldn't even walk, I had to drag her to some sofa nearby and I stayed by her side until she could have moved.

Not to mention she was puking all over the place and I had to clean up after her... /sigh

Anyway, you should definitely ask him what the hell was that all about, especially considering he gave you the green light to get drunk.

Edited by Professor X

Was he also drinking? Seems pretty selfish to me. Us guys are known for being insensitive. It's practically cliche. But everyone has their moments.

Perhaps if you communicated how you felt about it to him he might see things from your perspective, especially considering the fact you took care of HIM while HE was sick.

From my acquaintances, this type of behavior wouldn't be that shocking, but from someone I'm in a relationship with it would bother me the same way it bothers you.

*edit* we all slip up and do selfish things from time to time. I wouldn't let it tar his whole reputation, but it's definitely worth some discussion.

Why drink so much that it makes you sick in the first place?

Perhaps he thought: "I tell her to drink as much as she wants, yet what does she do? She drinks without limits until she gets sick. Now she's sick of the alcohol, well that's her own damn fault for drinking too much."

Granted though, if that was his reasoning, then he too is to blame. Who tells their girlfriend to drink as much as they want? Too much alcohol not only makes you feel sick, but it also damages your liver and brain. Alcohol literally kills brain cells.

regardless, why drink till you are sick fgs? maybe your b/f had a healthy repugnace? maybe he doesn't care? this is life. we have to sort out what things mean.

kiss_andmakeup

Aside from the fact that drinking that much is :sick:, he was still being a jerk.

Especially since he specifically said "drink as much as you want."

• Author
countingstarsagain

thanks everyone for the input!!

i honestly didn't drink THAT much, the tequila in the margaritas just didn't sit well on my stomach. so i agree, it was pretty gross. but that's beside the point. when you say you love someone you care about them a little more than just dropping them off when they're ill and doing your own thing. regardless of the cause.

when you say you love someone you care about them a little more than just dropping them off when they're ill and doing your own thing. regardless of the cause.

You do have a point there. Can't disagree with that.

It does not matter what anyone says. You are responsible for your own drinking and sobriety. If you drink too much and get sick, it's your responsibility, not your BFs.

If you drank enough to get sick do you think there's a chance you may have upset him somehow with your behavior? I have had numerous issues in the past with gfs that drank to excess. Them being sick wouldn't bother me (I usually would take care of them for the rest of the night) but a lot of time when people get that drunk they lose their inhibitions and stop paying attention to boundaries. Maybe your bf saw some guy hit on you and you were too drunk to notice/care and shut him down. Or maybe your bf tried to approach you and you brushed him of for some (seemingly justifiable at the time) reason. There are a lot of things that girls might do when they are really drunk that seem innocent in their mind but actually really embarrass/upset their partners. I'm sure this is the same for guys too. If you haven't spoken to your bf about it yet then you may find he was actually going out to let of some steam so he didn't have to start a fight with you over your actions.

• Author
countingstarsagain

I don't think so. I asked one of my friends if I did anything to make him mad and she said I was fine. I don't recall anything. Besides I wasn't horribly drunk, just sick. I texted him and asked why he was mad at me and he said I'm not really mad. Now he's ignoring me. I don't understand :confused: