Dating a coworker?

Lilmisus

So, although I am currently not interested in doing so, I was wondering how it would be if I dated another coworker of mine? How would it look like? Or would it be acceptable, or is there an unspoken code that I can no longer date coworkers, just out of respect for my ex? Though..I never wanted to date a coworker in the first place since it is said to be extremely messy (and has been), there are just so many cute guys that work or are planning on starting to work there, and it's hard not to develop even little crushes for them, ya know? This is just one of the "hard parts" of working and living at the beach..cute guys, everywhere.

What really got me interested in this was today, I was at work and this coworker dude that I never really talked to, but have thought was cute since day one (I also think he may be gay..but it's hard to tell) joked around with me for a minute when he passed by and I said something to him. He came in, we just had a silly little conversation (which we've done before when we do talk) and when he walked away, I said to a girl friend that he was cute. She told me that I should go talk to him then, and I told her that I couldn't..no more coworkers for me. She didn't seem to get my logic, since she's been in my position before, has dated coworkers, led them on, and still worked and talked with them as if nothing happened.

How would you guys feel if you were in my spot? My ex never even wanted to date someone he worked with him the first place (like I), so I know that he's not going to date anyone else there unless he falls head over heels in love with her or something. Plus, he told me he wouldn't. But, others are telling me that since he broke up with me then I can date whoever I want to at all, even if we work together, but I'm not sure how I feel about this at all. Any thoughts? Would this tamper with the blooming friendship my ex and I are starting to have?

It depends on the situation, but lots of people meet at work and it's not necessarily a bad thing. My parents met at work and they've been married for 30+ years! :)

• Author
Depends on the job. Are we talking about waiting tables here, or an executive type position?

It's at a restaurant, where I'm going to start waiting tables soon.

• Author
It depends on the situation, but lots of people meet at work and it's not necessarily a bad thing. My parents met at work and they've been married for 30+ years! :)

No, it's not a bad thing, that's why I had no problem doing it once I found the right guy. My parents met at work too, where my dad was the owner, and she worked for him (while still married to my birth father) for a long while. Then she got divorced and soon after, they got married..like two years later. My older brother and now sister-in-law also met at work..and same with my dad and step mom. My entire family is cool with it ;)