Can anyone relate?

Soccerguy11

I have a really big problem maintaining relationships. I find it exhausting and mentally draining to focus on any relationship for any period of time. This has made dating very difficult for me.

For example, my last relationship was with a girl who I found very attractive. She was an interesting person and I loved hearing her talk about anything and everything. During the 3 weeks of break I had from work, we went out every day and had a lot of fun being with each other. Even though I had a blast, it felt like I was running a marathon. After each day, I would just crash and go to sleep just to wake up and start over. By the end of the 3 weeks, I felt like a zombie. Physically I could keep up with her, but mentally, I was falling fast. I found that things that come naturally to most people, like engaging in small talk with their girlfriend, required tremendous effort for me no matter how comfortable I felt around her.

For some reason, this does not happen at work. In a professional setting, I find it very easy to talk with my patients, my colleagues, and my staff. Only when it comes to my personal life, does it feel like I'm running on empty.

So, anyone have any idea what my problem is? More importantly, how do I fix it? Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

P.S. First post!! woo!!

Why are you spending so much time together? That's likely your problem. Try to figure out, ideally, how often you would enjoy spending time with someone (1-3 times a week?) and establish that trend the next time around.

• Author
Why are you spending so much time together? That's likely your problem. Try to figure out, ideally, how often you would enjoy spending time with someone (1-3 times a week?) and establish that trend the next time around.

Maybe you're right. I always tried to dedicate a 100% when I was with a girl. Plus I'm a sucker for the idea of falling hard and fast. Guess next time around, I'll try to slow things down.

good insight. I think anyone would get exhausted going too fast.

I think slow build up is more genuine and will lead to better results in the future.