Dating a therapist who works with my therapist!

makelemonade1974

makelemonade1974

Okay, so I met this guy online and he seems really great. We both work for the same university, but in different departments. He's great-looking, super-smart and I'm really looking forward to our date on Friday. The trouble is, he is in the Psychology department and a therapist for the counseling center at our university. I go to the counseling center weekly because I've been dealing with some depression over a recent breakup. I'm terrified! What if my counselor tells him things about me? What if he actively tries to read my file or something? Do any of you work in psychology and know how such things work? Should I talk to my therapist about it? Should I mention to him that I go to therapy there? I'm thinking not. lol

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you therapist is ethical, he won't discuss your sessions. And if your guy reads your files, he deserves a kick in the balls. :mad:

I would discuss it with your therapist. After you do that, you can decide if you want to discuss it with your guy.

What if my counselor tells him things about me?
Unethical, unprofessional and I would think in all probability a breach of privacy. Really, a serious case of professional misconduct if he does...

What if he actively tries to read my file or something?

As above....

Do any of you work in psychology and know how such things work?

Well I'm in the UK, but there is a defined line between indiscretion and downright unprofessionalism.

Your therapist could say he knows you, but any further information would be straying dangerously near the unethical....

Should I talk to my therapist about it?

Yes, if only to casually request, and make emphatically clear that whatever happens between you and him is obviously completely confidential... isn't it...? I mean, he wouldn't discuss it with anyone,... at all.... would he....?

Should I mention to him that I go to therapy there? I'm thinking not. lol

If he's a therapist, could I ask why you think it should be a stigma?

I mean, he must know many people go to therapy. Hell, he works in that environment and professional field. I would think he hopes people do go to therapy, or else his job's not worth much, is it?

Up to you really, what you say, and why, but I wouldn't think it would be too much of a problem.

He might even help you get over the reason for your needing therapy in the first place....! ;)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hope it helped.

Hmm, this could get tricky. Some agencies (such as mine) have interoffice communication, which means that we can speak about clients to each other because we all work with them. We inform clients about this policy during intake. It's a pretty standard practice as far as I know. However, because this is a campus based counseling center, they may have special confidentiality procedures regarding this.

We have had instances where clients have come in that have been personal friends of therapists, and in an effort to preserve their confidentiality (that of the client) they will not work directly with that person and will not have any sessions with them. They do have access to the person's chart, but there is an understanding that it would be unethical to read a client's charge for anything other then professional purposes.

I would speak with your therapist about this, tell them the situation and discuss your concerns. He will have access to your chart if he works there, however your therapist may be able to do something to protect your confidentiality.