Does anyone still chat?? That was the BEST way to date IME..

Temporary

Hey well I'm dating myself here but I chatted back in the AOL days... yup, on 56.k. Free trial CD's lol.

I always thought chat rooms were the best way to meet people.. but I never understood why so many people hated it. Well lot of people ruined it--that's why. But, still I didn't get why the good people who used to use it didn't just find new chats to go to.. Maybe stupid people just follow and ruin it everywhere..

Personals are so awful. It's like, a marketed ad for yourself, and like real ads they're usually not what's advertised. I don't mean to say everyone is fake, just that chemistry doesn't come out in static pages. It needs real time flowing chat..

But so why do people hate it???

And does anyone know of good chats left? I just miss the old AOL days.....

Edited by Temporary
SincereOnlineGuy
Hey well I'm dating myself here but I chatted back in the AOL days... yup, on 56.k. Free trial CD's lol.

I always thought chat rooms were the best way to meet people.. but I never understood why so many people hated it. Well lot of people ruined it--that's why. But, still I didn't get why the good people who used to use it didn't just find new chats to go to.. Maybe stupid people just follow and ruin it everywhere..

Personals are so awful. It's like, a marketed ad for yourself, and like real ads they're usually not what's advertised. I don't mean to say everyone is fake, just that chemistry doesn't come out in static pages. It needs real time flowing chat..

Hi, I'm Chris Hansen, why don't you take a seat over there?

• 1 month later...

The old days for me was DalNet IRC and alt.personals NTTP on 33.6 kbit/s. I remember getting the first broken English texts from the former Soviet Union back in 1996 and just gazed on in wonder, eventually mapping a Cyrillic keyboard to try to communicate (ineffectually) in Russian. I ended up spending a bit of time over there and dating a couple of ladies. I later jumped to ICQ and similar chat programs and used the relatively new 'dating sites' like American Singles and Yahoo Personals to 'meet' people.

Being married, I missed all of the subsequent improvements over the last decade. About the only friends who still use the 'old' ways are those who live in the FUS/CIS and parts of SE Asia. So, yeah, I still 'chat', generally late at night here in Cali when people in those parts of the world are up. Small world :)

Edited by carhill

Aww, mem-or-ies, Temporary! I do miss the old days when ''a/s/l?'' was considered a valid conversation starter. :p

Aww, mem-or-ies, Temporary! I do miss the old days when ''a/s/l?'' was considered a valid conversation starter. :p

That whole asl? thing was horrible. Mostly guys looking for pussy. No I don't want to see a picture of your crotch dude.

One time though a Japanese school girl started talking to me and sent me a photo of herself standing in her bathtub with a big knife in her hands. She told me she was going to kill herself as part of a (Japanese) suicide club. She told she was in love with the ring leader of that club. I tried to talk her out of it, but I never did know how that ended. Some time later I read a news article online about Japanese teens killing themselves in large numbers in suicide clubs. I just hope she wasn't amongst them. There's even a Japanese movie about it: http://tinyurl.com/hrn6d

Leeway Harris

I met a girl in an AOL Chatroom that changed my life forever.

I miss the chatrooms too, sometimes. If you found a good one, it could be really fun. Chat still exists, but it's just not the same. Or maybe it is, and I'm different, I don't know. What is the equivalent of a chatroom today? Maybe those online role-playing games? You know, the ones where you have to build an avatar and then you use that version of you to meet people and make friends. I never got into that, it seems like it would be a huge time commitment.

That whole asl? thing was horrible. Mostly guys looking for pussy. No I don't want to see a picture of your crotch dude.

One time though a Japanese school girl started talking to me and sent me a photo of herself standing in her bathtub with a big knife in her hands. She told me she was going to kill herself as part of a (Japanese) suicide club. She told she was in love with the ring leader of that club. I tried to talk her out of it, but I never did know how that ended. Some time later I read a news article online about Japanese teens killing themselves in large numbers in suicide clubs. I just hope she wasn't amongst them. There's even a Japanese movie about it: http://tinyurl.com/hrn6d

How sad. :( I hope she didn't go through with it.

I didn't frequent the AOL chat rooms, because I was shy. I liked the auditorium chats, where people 'sat in rows' and chatted in groups, whilst somewhat paying attention to what was going on on the 'stage'. I tried IRC a few times, as well. When LOST was still on, two years ago, I found an IRC chat installed on a webpage, where people were chatting about the season finale.

I met a girl in an AOL Chatroom that changed my life forever.

I miss the chatrooms too, sometimes. If you found a good one, it could be really fun. Chat still exists, but it's just not the same. Or maybe it is, and I'm different, I don't know. What is the equivalent of a chatroom today? Maybe those online role-playing games? You know, the ones where you have to build an avatar and then you use that version of you to meet people and make friends. I never got into that, it seems like it would be a huge time commitment.

There's Second Life, although someone tried to initiate cybersex with me there, and stopped speaking to me after I'd informed them that a guy in my life wouldn't want me doing that (regardless of the fact that he claimed his girlfriend didn't mind online 'relations'). I didn't get into the site.

There was another program that I forget the name of - it plays radio shows, and has chat rooms that are associated with them. I was in there two/three years ago, and no longer have the program on my computer... I don't know if anyone else can think of the name. (Oh, it was PalTalk.)

Hi, I'm Chris Hansen, why don't you take a seat over there?

HAHAHAHAH Im eating all them damn cookies and juice before I say a WORD Chris!

Chatting online only for people who are too afraid to approach women in person like a MAN. Not an attractive trait to a woman. Thats why people HATE it.

IusedToBeFunny

asl? got a pic? cool.. where u from? number? hahah

Awww I miss aol free trails. I use to wait for them in the mail.

It started off as

asl

Then it became a norm for people to actually have pictures online

so we got

asl pic?

Then when we were being rude

we got

asl pic? cam?

lol