Can you truly stay friends with someone after sleeping with them?

guarded

NO.

Why would you choose to have an ONS with a friend and risk years of friendship for 25 minutes of bliss? Might as well just masturbate by yourself.

I think you can.

But usually what happens is one of the friends is fine with going on as usual, while the other either wants it again, or begins to like you. That's when things get a bit awkward.

utterer of lies
Is there a chance of keeping the friendship after something's happened between the two of you?

Unlikely. But if there's enough attraction, you probably were never 'friends' in that sense in the first place.

But you can stay FWB, so nothing's lost. :)

NO.

Why would you choose to have an ONS with a friend and risk years of friendship for 25 minutes of bliss? Might as well just masturbate by yourself.

This is just funny. I feel sorry for you.

Not generally. At least not right away. I know some people who've become friends with FWBs or light exes (by which I mean it was never a LTR really) eventually. But none that have been friends, hooked up, and just kept steaming along.

Unlikely. But if there's enough attraction, you probably were never 'friends' in that sense in the first place.

But you can stay FWB, so nothing's lost. :)

This is just funny. I feel sorry for you.

Again, I reiterate... I would never get into a sexual relationship with a friend because guess what, I respect them enough to not brand them my booty call.

Sometimes.. I'm good friends with one ex though I do have to control some feelings here and there. It's a challenge but possible. I'm friendly with other exes but don't go out of my way to hang out with them. But we're in the same circle so end up hanging out occasionally. no bad blood. There's one that I've hooked up with on the rare occasion but she's a different bird. Then again I'm kind of a different guy too.

laRubiaBonita

i have a LT friend (10+ years), and we were FWB's. we are both happily married and we still keep in touch.

so yes, i can happen.

Is there a chance of keeping the friendship after something's happened between the two of you?

Why not?

I'd assume that the two of you would just start dating.

The friendship would evolve.

I've done that before in more than one occasion. But I've also had it blow up in my face. It takes two mature individuals that want to be friends and also put in the effort to do so.

• Author

Well there was something there on his part a long time ago but im not sure how he really feels about me these days.

Before this all happened he said that it was hard for him to be around me because of the attraction and the history we have and he said that he didnt want to rekindle old feelings. But it didnt make sense because he said he didnt think he could feel that way for me again... if thats the case then it shouldnt be hard to stay friends right?

Anyway, after we slept together we've been keeping in touch... well he's the reason why we still talk. i dont ever initiate the contact, he does... i love it when i get random messages from him and i dont want it to stop. Im never the first to msg him, would that seem like i dont care? As 'friends' its ok for me to initiate sometimes right?

A few days after we had sex, i was out having coffee with a friend and we ran into each other and just said 'hey'... my friend said things seemed a little awkward between us and she thinks that we've crossed the line and we cant just stay friends...

I was thinking that the awkwardness could be from what happened... he came way too fast and when i say fast it was literally in and out. I didnt make a big deal out of it and i thought we got past that but i guess he didnt because he admitted that he has been pretty embarrassed since.

He went away for a wk and when he got back he messaged and asked if i was free on sat night and i messaged back and asked what time. He said he'd let me know. We made small talk as friends do and i ended my msg with just let me know... the weekend passed and i didnt hear from him so i let it go because we didnt really make concrete plans to hang out. But why ask someone if they're free if you dont really plan on hanging out?

its almost been 2 weeks and i havnt heard from him. Im too proud to msg first. Should i wait for him to make contact? i went out for lunch with a friend yesterday and we saw him walk past with his mom. I know he's one busy man but it takes a min to msg right? but then again..we're just friends so i shouldnt be expecting constant messages/calls?

Guarded, do you like this guy? If you want to date him, you're going to have to take that step forward to ask him out. Pride doesn't help much if at the end of the day, you're the one who's frustrated that he's not keeping in touch with you.

I don't believe it's possible for FWBs or ONS to be friends, provided that at the end, when the sex ends, the parties involved are mature enough to want to be friends. Otherwise, you're just keeping useless people around, especially people that don't respect you.

Sure. Easily.

Provided you are both mature and level-headed, though, which excludes 95% of the population and probably 99% of LS.