Another Travel Bug?

irc333

Okay, this is not your "typical" online profile critique, but this more of a concern than a critique.

I've actually gotten a response from a woman online, and we had bee emailing back and forth.

I asked her what she was looking for in a mate....part of what she said was, "someone that likes to travel..."

Now, I'm not muchof a travel bug, I mean, I'd love to ONE of these days leave the country to explore another country....but what's the deal with these women and using one of the most expensive hobbies as a hobby?

I told her, "Although I'm not a travel bug, I'd like to go to X Country one of these days"

I mentioned I did go on a cruise to the Bahamas though, lol

But, i wonder how important it is to a woman that she travels for fun (not for pleasure)

She did mention she did date an airline pilot in the past.

If she really liked to travel she'd be a FA or airline pilot. Sounds like she enjoyed traveling on someone else's buddy pass ;)

I've run into these in the past. When I start going into details about scorpions under the table in Zimbabwe and getting motion sick on the Shinkansen and getting lost on Osaka's subway system and then asking them where they'd like to go this weekend, they get this deer in the headlights look.

It is what it is... some people are explorers and others like to travel.

IMO, when you run across such a person, merely assume they have the means and interest and assign it neutral weight. You like buying tickets to the game and sitting in a seat with a beer yelling for a couple hours (as an example).

I hope we get to read about actual dates with some of these people. Looking forward to that :)

Maybe it's a time of life thing (I'm 40), but I've gotten the travel bug myself. My wanderlust is more about want to break free of my rigidity in my older age. I want to experience different cultures and people and get a better sense of the world.

I have a modest income (and a phobia of airplanes) so I travel locally. I live on the East Coast (US) so like to take overnight trips in NYC and DC. In my own city (Philadelphia), I explore every block and neighborhood. That may not be travel, but I consider that to be a travel friendly attitude.

As for whether you are compatible with this travel loving woman, I don't know. I guess you can compare your ideas of adventure and see if you have any common ground. She dated a pilot so that's hard to compete with in terms of flying miles, but creativity and imagination goes much farther, in my opinion.

Here's another thought. It seems that you are attracting travel minded women, which may be a sign that you want to cultivate your own wanderlust. In the past year, I dated a number of artists, which I took as a sign that I wanted to do art. So, I started to do sculpture pieces and am enjoying it enormously.

If you want travel inspiration, I suggest you check out the Lonely Planet website at http://www.lonelyplanet.com/us I've become addicted to the site, despite having not left the US for 16 years. I read the site and dream. Maybe soon, I'll get the guts and get on airplane and fly far away.

Edited by Cee
new thought
Disillusioned

Mnyeh... I've been a radio ham for the past 15 years, talked to people all over the world without the expense and hassles of getting on a plane. :p

I am a travel bug. I can only finance a big trip every few years, but it's something I save up and plan for in my budget. A lot of people spend money on huge flatscreen TVs and cars they can't afford and designer purses that will be considered unstylish in a year. I'd much rather have somewhat out-of-date gadgetry and be a little frugal with my clothing budget and be able to get away from it all and enrich my life with actual experiences for a few weeks every few years.

ETA: Somehow I have managed to go to multiple countries and continents on my own pass, without being a pilot. I'm pretty surprised at out-of-left-field little golddigger dig there, Carhill.

Yeah, I guess I'm a travel bug, too. I got it from my parents, and have been travelling my whole life. Sure, I can't always afford to go where I want, and now it's a lot harder to travel now with kids, but it's still fun fantasizing, planning, and it's totally worth setting aside the money. Like Smoky, I'm happy to tighten my belt in other areas.

It's a whole life-approach, in some ways. I have studied several languages to facilitate travel and living abroad, and studied anthropology and archaeology in part because of my love of travel and places I wanted to go. I have lived in three different continents and have friends who live all over the world. I haven't gone anywhere for a few years now, but my husband and I are currently trying to budget for a family trip this spring, fingers crossed.

My husband has the travel bug too, and it's something we bonded over. He has been to some of the countries that have been on my bucket list for years, and has some great stories of his experiences there. He understands that I feel trapped and frustrated when I haven't been anywhere/ seen anything new in a while, and while we haven't been able to go out of the country in a while we do take a lot of small semi-local trips, for the change of scenery. It's incredibly rejuvenating, really helps refresh us to get back down to the daily grind of our normal lives, plus it helps keep the spark in our marriage alive. I don't know how I could have married someone who wasn't on the same page as me in this regard.

I'd much rather have somewhat out-of-date gadgetry and be a little frugal with my clothing budget and be able to get away from it all and enrich my life with actual experiences for a few weeks every few years.

Same here.

I've traveled a lot for language and academic training, and traveling is something I hope to keep doing throughout the years. I have family in different places across the world who I want to see. I want to be with someone who will be willing and eager to join me instead of sitting there judging me for having such an "expensive hobby".

Same here.

I've traveled a lot for language and academic training, and traveling is something I hope to keep doing throughout the years. I have family in different places across the world who I want to see. I want to be with someone who will be willing and eager to join me instead of sitting there judging me for having such an "expensive hobby".

Ditto. One of the first issues I've tabled when getting serious with men is that I don't want to live in the same place for the rest of my life.

OP, some people like it and others don't. Just go for someone compatible :)

I've run into these in the past. When I start going into details about scorpions under the table in Zimbabwe and getting motion sick on the Shinkansen and getting lost on Osaka's subway system and then asking them where they'd like to go this weekend, they get this deer in the headlights look.

Love it when asking about some of these compulsive travelers' trips and ask "what did you learn from the experience?" and they get the same "deer in headlights" look.

Also agree that lots of online dater "travel bugs" are looking to do it on someone else's dime. OP, you'd be amazed how many men are willing to pay for expensive trips in hopes of getting laid.

Love it when asking about some of these compulsive travelers' trips and ask "what did you learn from the experience?"
LOL, I learned how to hold the airsick bag while my travelmate barfed up her dinner after catching malaria while float-camping on Lake Kariba. :D I'm full of stories like that.

TBH, IRL I've met very few female explorers locally. Out in the world though, plenty, except they live scattered to the winds in countries around the world. Good thing is, if traveling to most any country, there's a local friend one can call :)

I've run into a few of these girls. I generally think it's used to see how much money you have, but I could be wrong. It's a turn off to me because it makes me think they bore easily, want to constantly be entertained, and like to spend lots of cash. I'd like to travel occasional, but excessive travel is mostly for the rich or someone who travels for work.

If she really liked to travel she'd be a FA or airline pilot. Sounds like she enjoyed traveling on someone else's buddy pass ;)

Bingo!

OooOOooh Travel bugs, I knew these wimminz. "I love to travel" what they leave out is "at someone else's expense". Over half of them didnt even have a passport they loved it so much.

I think it depends.

Many people say they like to travel on their profiles, but it could mean different things...

a) They like to travel and wish they could more...but usually can't.

b) They fly out to 2-3 spots every year and no where else (usually Vegas, Miami, NY).

c) They do travel a lot and explore the world...regardless if they can afford it.

d) They travel...but maybe one trip per year.

In the end, I think women still want a guy who is "interesting" in some way, shape, or form. My best advice is just to come off to them all in positives and not mention that you don't travel a lot. Just see if you get conversation happening. You might find she likes to travel, but doesn't go as much as you would think.

You could trade a few emails and then suddenly click, or find out she's a "travel bug" and thus you two don't click.

This is off topic, but I prefer to travel solo. The one time I went to Europe, it was by myself. I went to El Salvador with a group, but it was a human rights mission. It never occurs to me to travel with someone b/c I would find it annoying to have to deal with another person.

Maybe that's why I never mention travel in online profiles because it's irrelevant.

I really think you are spending too much time critiquing these profiles irc33.

I generally think it's used to see how much money you have, but I could be wrong.

I think this is overly cynical.

I like to travel. I wouldn't necessarily mention it in an online profile, but I've been to something like 30 countries and would like to travel more (though I haven't been on any international trips in two years). And yes, I paid for them all myself (minus a few family trips abroad when I was under 21). If you're fairly low maintenance, it really doesn't have to be that expensive- I've used frequent flyer miles and stay in cheap accommodations. I tend to make plans only a month or two in advance when I know I can swing the vacation time and the expense so I've ended up doing things like scrapping Russia and heading to the Baltic instead because that was what was do-able.

I'd love to ONE of these days leave the country to explore another country

I wonder if this is what they're trying to get at. I will likely travel abroad in the next year, even though I haven't in awhile. It is a matter of having the vacation time and cash, but I consider international travel very do-able. It would be a negative for me to be with someone who considered international travel a big far off goal, something you might do someday. I don't need a guy to be well traveled, but I'd like him to at least be interested.

But, i wonder how important it is to a woman that she travels for fun (not for pleasure)

Depends on the woman. Some women really enjoy traveling, and want a mate who shares the same interest. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

I'm also assuming that's a typo, as "for fun" typically IS "for pleasure."