Honest assessment -- BBW or "A few extra" for POF?

Lorelai

I've lost weight since I originally made my POF profile, and I'd set it as BBW at that time just to err on the side of caution. When a friend of mine from work ran into my profile (hah! too bad we work together), he said he didn't understand why I classified myself as BBW, but also said that the pictures up there currently didn't look much like me anymore.

Since I've heard varying opinions about definition of BBW, I wanted to see what you guys thought. I cut out my head even though this is certainly not a shot that would go up on POF itself -- I had a friend take it for this very purpose. She got several other, better, pictures of me, but this was the only body shot.

http://www.houseannwn.com/bbwornot.jpg

By the way... this post isn't meant to start Size Wars XXIV. Please don't let it turn into such. Thank you very much! ;)

Maybe it is just the photo, but you don't look anywhere near BBW to me.

I think of BBW as about a size 20 on up and you look like a 12/14 in that photo (to me).

I could see a few extra pounds, but that will limit the men who see your profile more than average would.

And I would make sure to put a full body photo up.

When I think BBW... I think biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig. You're not that size.

You might be just a few extra. What other options does POF have?

I honestly could not bring myself to look at the link. That is the effect labeling something as BBW has. Seriously, to me it says "I'm a big woman and intend on being big." Not something I consider healthy or attractive in personality or body.

I think you are going to miss out on guys who might have liked you otherwise if you put BBW also you will probably attract the wrong kind of guy.

I honestly could not bring myself to look at the link. That is the effect labeling something as BBW has. Seriously, to me it says "I'm a big woman and intend on being big." Not something I consider healthy or attractive in personality or body.

I think you are going to miss out on guys who might have liked you otherwise if you put BBW also you will probably attract the wrong kind of guy.

How was this even remotely helpful to the OP? :mad:

• Author

The second paragraph was. ;) He seemed to be suggesting essentially to go ahead with "a few extra" and let people deal with the wasted click if they feel I was underestimating.

BTW: I do want to put a full body shot up, but I'd prefer one that wasn't posed. We'll see what comes of next weekend's plans out, maybe a decent one will get taken.

• Author
You might be just a few extra. What other options does POF have?

BBW, a few extra, average, athletic, and thin. I know I would not at all feel comfortable choosing "average". I'm not into false advertising, and I still have a ways to go with weight loss.

The second paragraph was. ;) He seemed to be suggesting essentially to go ahead with "a few extra" and let people deal with the wasted click if they feel I was underestimating.

BTW: I do want to put a full body shot up, but I'd prefer one that wasn't posed. We'll see what comes of next weekend's plans out, maybe a decent one will get taken.

Yeah I'm pretty much saying don't worry about peoples wasted clicks and worry more about scaring people away with BBW talk.

Green thinks that 99% of the women are BBW :laugh:

Actually, studies have shown that BBW get more clicks than "a few extra". There are BBW fetishists that target these women.

Untouchable_Fire
Green thinks that 99% of the women are BBW :laugh:

Actually, studies have shown that BBW get more clicks than "a few extra". There are BBW fetishists that target these women.

It's insulting to call them fetishists! It implies something abnormal or niche, when that isn't the case at all.

If the media would back the f*** off for a bit guys naturally prefer bigger women.

It's insulting to call them fetishists! It implies something abnormal or niche, when that isn't the case at all.

If the media would back the f*** off for a bit guys naturally prefer bigger women.

Well, I think that being morbidly obese is abnormal and carries huge health risks.

I am not exactly thin so I am all for men loving curvier women. But when you cross the line into obesity then morbid obesity, it becomes a huge problem.

Untouchable_Fire
Well, I think that being morbidly obese is abnormal and carries huge health risks.

I am not exactly thin so I am all for men loving curvier women. But when you cross the line into obesity then morbid obesity, it becomes a huge problem.

Seriously... curvy is way better!

Guys who like morbid obesity... that is a fetish. I'm 100% sure OP doesn't fit into that category however.

Seriously... curvy is way better!

Guys who like morbid obesity... that is a fetish. I'm 100% sure OP doesn't fit into that category however.

I agree. I think that OP looks great.

Certainly not a BBW the way I picture it to be. Perhaps not making a statement about your body type may be the way to go however, if you must, and you can describe in free text, how about "cuddly". :)

• Author

Thank you very much, everyone. Profile is now officially changed to "a few extra".

Part of the reason I was confused was that in reading some of the threads, they say things like "For a person who's 5'8, 180 lbs would be BBW to me." Or "more than 15-20 lbs". Etc. (I am 5'1, and when I weighed myself the morning that pic was taken I weighed 174 -- size 16 with 42lbs left to go). I would have posted on the POF forums to ask this question, but that would mean linking the post to my profile... and that's not really something I want to do.

And quick tip for anyone on a diet -- Orville Readenbacher's Smart Pop 100 calorie popcorn bags ROCK. Much, much more filling than the little 100 calorie cookie/chip snack packets, and very high in fiber. Takes longer to eat, as well, so it feels like a lot more food than those little bags.

Tim The Enchanter

And quick tip for anyone on a diet -- Orville Readenbacher's Smart Pop 100 calorie popcorn bags ROCK. Much, much more filling than the little 100 calorie cookie/chip snack packets, and very high in fiber. Takes longer to eat, as well, so it feels like a lot more food than those little bags.

Or just make your own popcorn.

• Author
Or just make your own popcorn.

Of course I make my own popcorn! I don't ask anyone else to put it in the microwave for me.... :D

Seriously, they're great for taking to work where you might not have access to a popping machine. *Grin*

I would have posted on the POF forums to ask this question, but that would mean linking the post to my profile... and that's not really something I want to do.

Does it still do that these days? I had a POF profile a couple months ago, and nothing I posted on the forums got linked to it. As I understand it, the guy who runs POF is trying to phase out the forums anyway. The menu link to them is already gone, and I suspect the forums will get nuked as soon as they get inactive enough. (Which won't take too long now nobody new is able to find them)