It is okay to hang out with a friend's ex?

Little Bird

My friend recently broke up with her boyfriend (she did the breaking up). She thought things weren't working out, and she was actually interested in someone else.

About a week later, I get a call from her ex ( I never gave him my number, so he must have found it in her phone or something), asking if I wanted to hang out. I'm not close to him, and whenever we've hung out it was with the 3 of us together. I thought it was weird, and brushed him off with excuses.

I'm not sure what this means. I think he was just lonely or something after the breakup. Was I being cold and paranoid by brushing him off? Maybe he just needed a friend to talk to. I just felt weird about being with him alone when he was just dumped by my friend.

My friend recently broke up with her boyfriend (she did the breaking up). She thought things weren't working out, and she was actually interested in someone else.

About a week later, I get a call from her ex ( I never gave him my number, so he must have found it in her phone or something), asking if I wanted to hang out. I'm not close to him, and whenever we've hung out it was with the 3 of us together. I thought it was weird, and brushed him off with excuses.

I'm not sure what this means. I think he was just lonely or something after the breakup. Was I being cold and paranoid by brushing him off? Maybe he just needed a friend to talk to. I just felt weird about being with him alone when he was just dumped by my friend.

I wouldn't.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of questionable. I honestly don't think he was interested in anything, other than having someone to talk to, but it just seemed wrong to me, like I would be betraying my friend. He seemed like he really needed someone to talk to, because he left 2 messages on my phone in one week, and kept calling.

It would be betrayal. If the humanitarian in you is just exploding to reach out and help someone, just feel free to walk my dogs in the afternoon for free while I am at work. They are twin pit-lab mixes. You'd love em.

collegeguy_24

I'm going to play devils advocate and say theres nothing wrong with hanging out with him.

First off, your friend left him, he didn't leave her, and you said yourself there was no betrayal in the relationship. So that eliminate side taking.

ALso, he could just use a friend, lord I could've when my ex left me. I'd say give it a shot, but meet in a public place, and get a feel for his intentions.

welikeincrowds
I'm going to play devils advocate and say theres nothing wrong with hanging out with him.

First off, your friend left him, he didn't leave her, and you said yourself there was no betrayal in the relationship. So that eliminate side taking.

ALso, he could just use a friend, lord I could've when my ex left me. I'd say give it a shot, but meet in a public place, and get a feel for his intentions.

Disagree. In a public place, like you're meeting the board chairman in the midst of a hostile takeover. Life's too short to waste on this ****.

In all likelihood, he's looking to put you in the middle, OP. He probably wants to talk to you about his ex because he thinks you'll have some kind of inside info. If that's the case, then that's high school behavior. And there's no point in even going there to find out.