How stingy are you with your Facebook/MySpace account?

Raderick

Me, I'll friend just about anyone who attempts to friend me, even if I haven't met them. I like meeting and talking to people, so it's nice site for people like me.

So the question to you is:

If Joe Nobody sends you a friend request, how do you respond?

If a guy/girl you are dating decided to friend you out of the blue without warning, how would you respond?

:)

These requests come out of the blue. I accepted a few in the early stages of using Facebook, on the basis that they were friends of friends. Now, when I get a request from a guy I'm sure I don't know I tend to just ignore it. Usually when you look through their friends lists, the lists are jam packed with women who you can tell they've friend-requested randomly....or you'll see a lot of what look like fake profiles in their friends list. That always makes me suspicious, and I'll just delete their requests. I'm pretty careful about Facebook anyway. I've disabled my wall so that other people can't post about things like holiday plans etc on it.

I feel that a lot of people out there give out far too much info about themselves. One of my friends has well over 1,000 "friends" on her list. It goes without saying that she doesn't know the vast majority of them from Adam...yet she'll happily post info about when she's going to be at home and when she won't be - and not only that, but in the process she often gives out info about other people too. It's crazy. There have been no shortages of stories about people who have been the victims of burglaries as a result of info released on these social networks profiles. Quite a few people I know absolutely refuse to have anything to do with Facebook for that reason.

As far as getting a friend request from someone you'd been on a date with goes, I see no problem with that....but if they have your number, it's not really necessary as far as arranging another date goes.

Edited by Taramere
kiss_andmakeup

If we have no friends or pages in common and haven't met or attended the same institutions (same high school, same college, whatever), then no, I won't friend him. It's even worse if he's shirtless. Ah, gotta love the random shirtless guys friending random chicks so that they can have 2,000 friends who are all attractive girls. DENIED.

:]

:lmao: Those guys with shirtless pics who randomly send friend requests to hot girls. Priceless.

I am a bit conservative with my friend's list. If I don't remember meeting the person, I will not accept. If it's a person from the past whom I do not want to get in contact with again, I wouldn't accept. However, I have been introduced to the same people 3 or even 4 times before...so I find that being friends with them on facebook saves me from another awkward meeting. They're not my "friends", but being on my facebook friend's list does not mean you're my close friend anyways, as I do not share much info at all. I give nothing away about where I am or what I am doing. Nothing about where I live, etc.

Well, if it's completely no one I know, I don't accept (esp if it's a hot babe, because I know it's a fake), but sometimes I'll ask them who they are and perhaps if I've met them before in RL.

Though, I know some people that are a little overly stingy though about it. Like there was this woman that I had met out with group of friends constantly was always flirting with me, running her fingers through my hair, etc.

Then I went to add her as a friend she goes, "sorry, I only add people I know really well."

I told her, "Um, you pretty friendly with me everytime we met, lol"

She didn't respond.

So even women I have met at other friends hosting Parties at their house and such, some weren't too receptive.

I typically don't "friends req." them, but I'd just send them a message saying, "Hi, it was nice meeting you at the party the other night" to see if they respond to THAT email.

Me, I'll friend just about anyone who attempts to friend me, even if I haven't met them. I like meeting and talking to people, so it's nice site for people like me.

So the question to you is:

If Joe Nobody sends you a friend request, how do you respond?

If a guy/girl you are dating decided to friend you out of the blue without warning, how would you respond?

:)

I feel that a lot of people out there give out far too much info about themselves. One of my friends has well over 1,000 "friends" on her list. It goes without saying that she doesn't know the vast majority of them from Adam...yet she'll happily post info about when she's going to be at home and when she won't be.QUOTE]

Yeah, I swear there was this woman that had an "App" on FB giving SPECIFIC location of where she's at currently....like "Susie is at the so and so hair salon" and it even shows a MAP to the business. LOL

And she has several hundred friends, seems like she's encouraging men to go seek her out.

I feel that a lot of people out there give out far too much info about themselves. One of my friends has well over 1,000 "friends" on her list. It goes without saying that she doesn't know the vast majority of them from Adam...yet she'll happily post info about when she's going to be at home and when she won't be.QUOTE]

Yeah, I swear there was this woman that had an "App" on FB giving SPECIFIC location of where she's at currently....like "Susie is at the so and so hair salon" and it even shows a MAP to the business. LOL

And she has several hundred friends, seems like she's encouraging men to go seek her out.

I know someone like too, however she has about 1300 friends most of which she doesn't know either. But she is always looking to add to her collection of people because she has to have people to tell her story(s) too, because after awhile the people that know her, grow tired of her and her stories. :rolleyes:

LucreziaBorgia

I only have people I know personally on mine. Granted there are over 350 but I do know them all!

I am very stingy about whom I add, I only have real friends and a couple of exes on fb. I don't want to censor what I share - though I mainly post photos, not comments as such. I know people that add hundreds of people and continuously post but to me that's just attention seeking. My dates don't usually ask but I would add them if they did. There is always the delete button.

I'm pretty open with it. My dad and several current and former students are facebook friends, so I tend to keep it light and non-private in there.

I think my last post had to do with the dead mice, birds and rabbit that the cats and dog had brought into the yard for me to clean up.

Confusedalways

If I don't know you, I don't accept. Even if we have 50+ friends in common.

Nope. Have to know you personally.

I only have a few friends on my FB who I've never met - a couple LSers and then friends/family of other friends. For example, I'm friends now with a couple girls who I will be going on a destination bachelorette party with, members of my good friend's bridal party who I've yet to meet in person. We all friended each other with the intent of learning a bit about each other before the trip.

I won't friend a guy I'm dating unless I think they won't wig out if it doesn't work out between us, and it takes a while of getting to know them before I can figure out if they're a gentleman.

If I think the request is from a guy who's interested in dating me, and I am not, even if we have mutual friends and have met each other, I probably won't add him. I just don't want any old person knowing my business.

I only have a few friends on my FB who I've never met - a couple LSers and then friends/family of other friends. For example, I'm friends now with a couple girls who I will be going on a destination bachelorette party with, members of my good friend's bridal party who I've yet to meet in person. We all friended each other with the intent of learning a bit about each other before the trip.

I won't friend a guy I'm dating unless I think they won't wig out if it doesn't work out between us, and it takes a while of getting to know them before I can figure out if they're a gentleman.

If I think the request is from a guy who's interested in dating me, and I am not, even if we have mutual friends and have met each other, I probably won't add him. I just don't want any old person knowing my business.

I have to add that this was something I just learned. It is not easy to add a love interests only to have to block/delete her. (like what I did today) It was not easy deleting her from 4square, FB, phone, LinkedIn, nav system, etc... Just not worth it sometimes.

In addition to what SG mentioned, it is just easier to not add and wait versus adding and giving the benefit of the doubt.

I'm pretty liberal to adding random people for games. I do have different lists for different groups. I have an LS, politics, classmates, friends, close friends, blocked, and one for games.

Edited by jerbear

If I have no prior connection to someone who sends me a friend request, I absolutely will not friend them. In the context of dating, I will only accept a friend request from someone I'm dating exclusively.

Well if you are not a family member or one of my few friends that are as close as family(which are also friends of my family) then denied!. I only have about 80-90 friends and any one of them if I go on their page It will say I have something like 75 friends in common LOL. If I have gone on a date with someone, no unless they make an issue about it because I don't want my 93yr old grandma asking "who is that guy you added on FB? Are you finally seeing someone? ":laugh:. If in a relationship yes, I would add them.

I'm liberal with adding FB friends because I am a music junkie & my music network will share tracks, sets, and events with each other. I have about 50 DJs on my Facebook and it's good to learn about music that way.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with a ton of promoter spam so I don't have push notifications for my FB message box anymore.

As for FB love interests, I do it, but the dating never works out. I unfriend them if it got nasty, but otherwise, I leave it be. I haven't had any drama on FB. It sometimes hurts though.

Edit to my post: I DO NOT add family members. Period. I tried it for a little while and there was too much drama, so I blocked all of them. I also have very stringent privacy settings: only friends can see me in search results, only friends of friends can add me as a friend (I have only 25 friends). I even created a separate email account for my Facebook, and no one else can see it on my profile but me, so I can't be looked up that way either.

Edited by tigressA
I don't have a fb or a my space account

I didn't until about 3 weeks ago...

I don't have a bunch of friends.. mostly family.. a few friends and a couple of LS'rs

The one thing I did do was upload about 60 pictures of my little guy.. that way I don't have to email anybody any pictures anymore :)

I haven't friend all of my family yet.. but will over time...

I will always add if I've met you in person before. If I didn't know you prior to you trying to friend me (you requested through mutual friends), it's an insta-ignore. I have a few LS'ers I haven't met in person, but that's usually the exception to the "know in person" requirement for FB.

I also do not FB friend women I'm dating until it has reached the relationship phase. FB just complicates things. And it helps to avoid the potential post-breakup FB awkwardness. But sometimes exceptions are made... :rolleyes:

I didn't until about 3 weeks ago...

I don't have a bunch of friends.. mostly family.. a few friends and a couple of LS'rs

The one thing I did do was upload about 60 pictures of my little guy.. that way I don't have to email anybody any pictures anymore :)

I haven't friend all of my family yet.. but will over time...

exactly the reason why I finally got on there . Now my family can follow my kids lives. I have thousands of pics of them up there.:)

I keep all my data private to friends only except the nitty gritty general info (bday, name, relationship status, etc). I even have some people on my friends list whom I have blocked from seeing my comments. And I delete people frequenly. One lady got on me for using one cuss word (rarely ever cuss on it) and I immediately deleted her, heh.

I only friend people I know. To answer your questions:

If Joe Nobody sends you a friend request, how do you respond? Reject it immediately. If I don't know you, what is the point? I wonder why these people decide to even friend random people.

I'd friend them. But if we broke up I'd likely delete them because it would hurt too much to see them post there. Or it would simply be awkward.