Calling a girl "baby;" just flirting, right?

dressing up

This is inspired by the 'calling men "baby"' thread.

When a guy calls a girl "baby," that's just him being flirty, right? I don't think there's much to read into it except for maybe him being a flirtatious person.

What do you all think?

A guy who calls a woman "baby," probably calls a lot of women baby. The only time I've had that term used on me is when I've been sexually harrassed on the street.

• Author
A guy who calls a woman "baby," probably calls a lot of women baby. The only time I've had that term used on me is when I've been sexually harrassed on the street.

Yikes. I'm sorry to hear that.

What's with men and "baby" then? Why do they use such a term?! :sick::(

Well, it's not always bad. I've been called "babe" before-- close enough-- and it was just a term of endearment. It could also convey that the guy feels that he has some familiarity with you. You don't have to overthink it. What else would you read into it?

• Author
Well, it's not always bad. I've been called "babe" before-- close enough-- and it was just a term of endearment. It could also convey that the guy feels that he has some familiarity with you. You don't have to overthink it. What else would you read into it?

It would be easier to understand if it was coming from my SO. But it came as a surprise when a not-so-familiar guy said that.

Wouldn't that be? :confused:

• Author
I guess you could call it a flirt, but unless it is coming from a good friend or SO, I think it's a bit disrespectful. The only men that have called me "baby" or "babe" have been long-term BF's. Maybe it's a younger generation thing, but I still think it's disrespectful.

That's my point.

I'm not trying to split hairs but it would be good to have some guys chime in on this. I'm at least curious as to why some guys use this term.

It could be that he couldn't remember your name. I have had guys call me "babe" and I thought they were flirting and they were, but they were also flirting with several other women and testing the waters.

Like the other posters, I find it disrespectful when it is coming from someone that barely knows me.

Oh, yeah, I was involved with the guy who called me babe. Right. :] I agree with you guys that calling a girl that if a person is unfamiliar with them is a bit... disrespectful, good word. It's a very informal term, so the people should usually know each other well, I think. It could also be used to flirt! I'd like to see some guy opinions too! :)

• Author

I know the person who called me that, though not close, and it wasn't because he forgot my name.

Any guy has an opinion? We're dying to hear from you on this. ;)

Feelin Frisky

I don't know if I can be used as the ideal test fella but as a guy, I only use the term baby or babe after a close loving relationship has been established. In my experience it has been routine for both me and my g/f(s) to use such niceties to get each other's attention whereas we tended to use our real first names only when having harsh words or deep passions. I don't see it as a "flirt"--and it would not occur to me to accost a female I don't know or barely know by the term "baby". I might use the expression "oh, baby" as a generic expression of enthusiasm but it's not a literal address to someone else.

I can say that there was a time, perhaps more than once, that I used the term baby to indeed flirt. But the ground work had already been established that my jibes were acceptable vibes. I knew a girl named Ernestine who I worked with for instance. I would sometime call her Ernie-bear or Erie-baby or Ernie-babe. It was cool and she liked it. But we kept it platonic and I never thought to just call her baby or honey or sweetheart or any such sweet nothing. If TMI, sorry. Guilty as charged.

Disillusioned

The only time calling someone "baby" is appropriate is when you're talking to an infant, in which case they probably aren't old enough to understand what you're saying anyways.

Strangers. I would never do that.

Women I know, sure it has happend.

Example just yesterday. I am grilling some incredible porterhouse steaks.

She says "hey I hope those taste as as good as they look". I say; Baby you know these are going to be top notch.

Confusedalways

Any man who calls me babe or baby who I'm not dating I tend to find as them attempting to flirt, and me thinking they're sleazy.

• Author
Strangers. I would never do that.

Women I know, sure it has happend.

Example just yesterday. I am grilling some incredible porterhouse steaks.

She says "hey I hope those taste as as good as they look". I say; Baby you know these are going to be top notch.

When you say that, was it just meant as a cute/cool expression? Or did you mean for it to be anything more?