Indian guys in interracial relationships are rare, so have you seen exceptions?

Labster12

**reposted from another forum since I notice that this one is a lot more active

By Indian I mean having their roots in India. Now we know that due to strict cultural customs and negative stereotypes about Indian men, it is rare to see an Indian guy in an interracial relationship. Also due to the fact that there are not as many Indian men in the US, most people have limited exposure to them. So I will start a poll and survey.

Which of the following Interracial couples involving Indian guys have you seen or known?

1. Indian guy - White girl

2. Indian guy - Asian girl

3. Indian guy - Latina

4. Indian guy - Black girl

5. Indian guy - Middle Eastern girl

6. Indian guy - Indian girl (by that I mean native lol)

• Author

I will start by saying I have seen and heard of Indian guy - White girl a lot and I dated a White girl before. I also dated an Asian girl so yea, that is me.

I have known two people mixed with Black and Indian and they were from the Caribbean. Never personally seen Black American girl and Indian guy.

Haven't heard of or seen Indian guy - Latina, Indian guy - Middle Eastern girl or Indian guy - Native American girl.

• Author

Were all of them White American or did you manage to get with a Italian chick or Mediterranean chick?

See, Indian guy - White girl is so common and I have heard about it so much but Indian guy - any other type of girl except White and Indian is rare. I did not even know an Indian guy - Latina relationship even existed.

Clicked on your sig, must say I agree with some of your stuff.

Pink Cupcakes

Like I said before, with the melting pot the way it is, an Indian (from India) can also be black, white, Asian, Polish, English, Purple, Green, and Orange...you can't tell from looking on the street anymore who is what.

Look at Tiger Woods - Black? Asian? White? Check, Check, and Check....Indian? Native American, too???? Wouldn't surprise me, even Irish, etc. What you see is not necessarily what you get with races now a days.

Pink Cupcakes
they were all white-bread american chicks

You really can't be too sure about that. They could have a black descendant/relative in their blood somewhere, or who knows, red, green or purple in their genes...how are you to know for sure???

Feelin Frisky

I tend to not notice or care. FWIW, I find Indians a very hansome people. But it wouldn't cross my mind to take inventories of who is with whom around me. BTW, my naturally blonde sister is married to an Equadorian. He is dark and looks more like an Indian from India than a South American. He has no accent. They look like the couple on the Kashi cereal box. Brown and white. No big whoop.

I'm mixed (black/white), am constantly mistaken for being Indian myself and have dated a handful of Indian guys, all born there; they came here primarily for college and whatnot. They're my favorite, actually. I think they're the most attractive race of men. Cultural differences have been kind of an obstacle, though.

Pink Cupcakes

Labster, have you considered going back to India? You did say you were attracted to Indian women, well, there 'ya go.

By Indian I mean having their roots in India. Now we know that due to strict cultural customs and negative stereotypes about Indian men, it is rare to see an Indian guy in an interracial relationship. Also due to the fact that there are not as many Indian men in the US, most people have limited exposure to them. So I will start a poll and survey.

Which of the following Interracial couples involving Indian guys have you seen or known?

3. Indian guy - Latina

If you just mean a guy with Indian heritage in his family (but not actually ever set foot in India), I know a fellow who's dated white girls and Latina girls. He's also dated Asian gals, including Indian gals. He's not traditional in any way, nor is his family, though. I assume much of the issues with people wanting to date strictly to their core culture has to do with keeping old traditions alive. I know a girl whose parents are Indian (heritage; not actually ever seen India) and Black, but not sure which is Mom or Dad.

I don't really understand why you're asking, though.

Since I'm an engineer, a large number of the people I work with are Indian as are many of my friends.

For the most part, I see them date whomever for awhile then they go back to India and marry the person their family has picked out for them

I know one Indian guy who married an Indonesian,

one who married an American, one Indian gal who married a white Australian.

ViciousViolet

I'm black American and have dated an Indian guy and almost another and I personally know of other black/white American girls who have dated Indian guys. The Indian guys here are so isolated from everyone else that many girls do not consider them as an option. Honestly, I'm not sure if I could see myself doing it again unless he were more Westernized. Many American women get the vibe that Indian men will date/sex you but won't consider you for marriage. I know that not all Indian men feel this way, but it is stereotype that affects how many American women perceive Indian males.

• Author

I did say I like Indian girls but I also mentioned that due to their strict culture and all that, I just cannot get with one, many of them are uptight. Also the ones I have seen here in the US who are more Americanized really don't look that good to me for some reason.

Also, is it odd to be mistaken for White a lot if you are Indian? My family is from North India so I heard we are supposed to be different or something.

• Author
I'm mixed (black/white), am constantly mistaken for being Indian myself and have dated a handful of Indian guys, all born there; they came here primarily for college and whatnot. They're my favorite, actually. I think they're the most attractive race of men. Cultural differences have been kind of an obstacle, though.

*flattered that a beauty like you loves Indian men*

Then again people keep telling me I don't look Indian. When I was in DC some of the tourists from Spain thought I was Spanish and started speaking to me in Spanish O_o!

Where I live there is a ton of Indian people. I almost never seen Indian guys with anyone who is not Indian. I dont know of a single Indian guy who is not with an Indian woman.

I am not saying it doesnt happen, I just dont ever see it. This applies to even American born Indians.

I am of Italian origin and dated a Desi Indian girl here for a few years. Many times no one could tell what we were. I took her to Italian things and they thought she was Italian and she took me to Indian things and they thought I was India.n Go figure.

Based on my experience with Indians, non-American born ones are pretty clannish. They keep to themselves and do their own things for the most part. Not always but mostly. Even ones like the Desi girls I dated face tremendous pressure to marry only Indian from their family. She refused and they disowned her. Not cool but it is what it is.

For the most part, I see them date whomever for awhile then they go back to India and marry the person their family has picked out for them

+1. I work for an Indian company and have been to India (Mumbai) several times. There are powerful, powerful cultural forces at work preventing Indians from marrying outside their caste, much less their ethnicity. Indians (of both genders) almost never do it. It's even more rare than Japanese-foreigner marriages, which is something I know a lot about.

• Author

Actually Sanjay Gupta, Sendhil Ramamurthy and Naveen Andrews are all married to White women.

Plus, Indian parents from what I have heard praise their kids for being with a White person while dating a Hispanic or Black person brings in tons of animosity.

Dude, you are obsessing over this Indian thing.

In small towns in Alabama, you may raise an eyebrow or two. But screw 'em.

In most big cities and on the West Coast/Northeast, it's a non-issue mostly.

It does sound like you are insecure, and that will get in your way more than anything else, no matter what your ethnicity.

• Author
Dude, you are obsessing over this Indian thing.

In small towns in Alabama, you may raise an eyebrow or two. But screw 'em.

In most big cities and on the West Coast/Northeast, it's a non-issue mostly.

It does sound like you are insecure, and that will get in your way more than anything else, no matter what your ethnicity.

Actually no, just no, this was a poll and survey.

As for the big cities thing, I know an Arab guy that lived in LA and was beaten up because the girl he was dating (now married to) is Puerto Rican. I am not obsessing over anything, that other topic is now basically over, this is a simply poll and survey type thing to see how rare interracial relationships with Indian guys are in other areas.

ViciousViolet
Actually Sanjay Gupta, Sendhil Ramamurthy and Naveen Andrews are all married to White women.

Plus, Indian parents from what I have heard praise their kids for being with a White person while dating a Hispanic or Black person brings in tons of animosity.

The white girls I've known who have dated Indian guys caught just as much crap from the guys' parents--no praising there. Now of course I'm sure most would rather their children bring home a white person as opposed to someone darker because of stereotypes regarding brown people and because of color discrimination that runs deep in Indian societies.

Based on the physical description of yourself, I doubt you'd raise an eye if you walked around with a Latina (one of European/Native American ancestry).

You know this silly little poll of yours should be irrelevant to you...what matters is who you are attracted to and want to date...

3. Indian guy - Latina

Humans - black, red, green, orange, etc. heavily mix when social norms allow for it, even in the south under slavery (have to use this example since if I said anything else, as an American you wouldn't understand it). Mainly why, it's nice to have diverse genes, in fact the more diverse the better. You don't look at a hot piece of ass and think they are great for no reason at all, there is millions of years of evolution at play. In fact, the most beautiful people they found are genetically the most average, meaning diverse. Point being, cultural norms are what are at play here, personally I have had a more than a fair share of gorgeous Indian women look at me like a hot tandoori meal but cracking the Hindi barrier was probably made it harder. My loss..

I've seen Indian men with white women mostly, but I've also seen a lot of children of Black/Indian background... and in NYC I've seen it ALL....

Edited by NYCmitch25
+1. I work for an Indian company and have been to India (Mumbai) several times. There are powerful, powerful cultural forces at work preventing Indians from marrying outside their caste, much less their ethnicity. Indians (of both genders) almost never do it. It's even more rare than Japanese-foreigner marriages, which is something I know a lot about.

No real idea about the general Indian population, but do you mean Japanese as in LITERALLY in Japan? Because I know loads of Japanese-Americans in interracial relationships or marriages (I myself am half, so my parents also were). Some of them are even "fresh off the boat"s. It's a bit different in Japan, of course. Just as I would imagine being in India would be different than simply being Indian, though I'm not sure how close together they are.