What does it generally mean when a guy calls you "sweet"?

lunar_rabbit

lunar_rabbit

I'm really interested in someone, and he says he "has feelings" for me (he has yet to put a name to them, though), and this is what he always says. If I try to flirt, let him know I'm thinking about him or whatever, this seems to be the only kind of response I get -"Aww, that's so sweet!""You're so sweet!""You're such a sweetie!"...and a million and one variations on that theme. I'm sick of it, I think I need to step up my game...but what do *you* think?

men forget sometimes complimenting a woman can become a pet peeve...so straight out say to him...what truly do you feel about me...sometimes u gotta be straight forwarded...or the man may think been cute is winning you over...dont over think things also...u dont need to step your game up..if he aint put no effort out...u always want a 50/50 response..begin smart to end up skillful..if it dont work..now u know..wat not to do..wen picking a man.

Sounds to me like he wants to sleep with you no strings attached. This is why he says he can't name his feelings. It's the oldest trick in the book. Say a lot by saying absolutely nothing.

Reversing the genders, I would place this into the arm-out, stay right there category. I like having you around but I don't have any significant and clear emotional attachment. The poster who suggested he's mining a FWB/NSA setup is likely correct. For a woman, IME, they're mining an orbiter arrangement.

For myself, I don't recall ever telling someone I was attracted to that they're sweet or something they did was sweet. 'I love spending time with you'. 'Just seeing you puts a smile on my face' 'I'm happy you came into my life', etc etc...

Like I said, what I'm hearing in this guy's case is arm out, stay right there 'sweetie', don't come any closer. YMMV :)

This is how I take it because I used this alot.

I have a friend who is attracted to me, but I have NO attraction to him. He always texts me and flirts. Since I don't want to flirt back, or give the wrong I idea, my replies are "aww, that's sweet!"

I'm getting the same vibe here.

mustangguy29

I might describe a girl I like to my friends as sweet or a real sweetheart, but I don't think I have ever said "sweet" to a girl I wanted a sincere relationship with.

If it were me and you said something nice to me and I said you are so sweet back, it probably means that I like being around with you, and I like the attention you are giving me, but I don't want to be in a relationship with you.

SadandConfusedWA

Sweet is the kiss of death. I also tell a guy "awww you are so sweet" when he flirts with me and I don't like him in that way.