Men who wear makeup to cover zits - yay or nay

conehead

Went on a date and the guy had on more concealer/foundation than me. I think he must have applied concealer to his blemishes then had to do foundation all over his face to blend it in. I can see clearly he's wearing makeup when the bumps on his face are skin colored instead of red (pimples).

My ex bf had a pretty horrific acne problem and while I didn't like it, it didn't bother me that much.

I have a coworker who I think is really cute and only the other day did I realize he has lots of acne but he's still cute to me.

At the same time, I understand the frustrations of acne and when I used to have that problems I always thought its sucked that men won't be able to cover it like girls can.

Yet now when I meet a guy who actually wears makeup to cover it, I see why my ex and my coworker just let it show as opposed to try to cover it up.

I myself am not a makeup wearer and only on a date do I put on some light powder but thats about it.

xpaperxcutx

Unless their profession calls for it ( like actors do) I cannot fathom men going out on dates with noticeable make up on their faces.

Even with acne problems, I can imagine them going for Proactiv or seeing a dermatologist to fix their problems. But concealer and crusty foundation? No thank you.

Feelin Frisky

I'm not a woman but if he trowels it on like you sort of implied, that's weird for a manly man. Tell him try outs for Duran Duran closed about 30 years ago.

xpaperxcutx
I went for electrolysis, dermatology, and active tea tree oil... it helped. A lot.

I do wear concealer here and there and you know what... I'm not ashamed. I don't wear it often though.

Next time just try fraxel, laser surgery has come a long way. And I heard it takes years off of your face.

• Author

One thing is that this guy is not metro at all...he's a bit awkward but nice and funny...I'd actually be attracted to him if he didn't wear the makeup.

I'm not sure if I can get over it. I mean as of now I'd be embarrassed to show him to my friends.

I wonder if maybe he'd stop the makeup on say date 2???

This makeup thing seems so minor yet it's somewhat of a dealbreaker.

Epak - seems like you dont wear all that much makeup. This guy really laid it on thick. I think I'd be okay if a guy just put on some light makeup just to TONE down the redness but when the pimple is all skin colored I mean its just so obvious there is makeup on it.

SpanksTheMonkey

It be a nay for me ide rather he spend the money on a good anti acne program and figure out whats causing it. Acne can be treated and cured so theres really no need to simply "cover it up" Plus I wear hardly any make myself up so ide prob feel awkward if my guy had on more then me in public lol..

SpanksTheMonkey
One thing is that this guy is not metro at all...he's a bit awkward but nice and funny...I'd actually be attracted to him if he didn't wear the makeup.

I'm not sure if I can get over it. I mean as of now I'd be embarrassed to show him to my friends.

I wonder if maybe he'd stop the makeup on say date 2???

This makeup thing seems so minor yet it's somewhat of a dealbreaker.

Epak - seems like you dont wear all that much makeup. This guy really laid it on thick. I think I'd be okay if a guy just put on some light makeup just to TONE down the redness but when the pimple is all skin colored I mean its just so obvious there is makeup on it.

Allot of guys just seam to tune out when it comes to personal care they just don't get it not all but some. And lets face it makeup can be a challenge for even women some times so the poor guy prob honestly doesn't have a clue he looks like bozo.

The kind thing to do would be nicely pull him aside and say something like "hey I noticed your wearing make up and thats ok but I think I could help you out a little better with that"

He may just be happy to get some advice on the acne prob you never know but I wouldn't bet on it changing on its own if hes a great guy other wise and its really a issue for you I think your going to have to be "proactive" about it excuse the pun...

• Author

How and when do I tell him without him feeling ashamed/embarrassed? I don't want him to feel bad.

I mean I barely know him...

SpanksTheMonkey
How and when do I tell him without him feeling ashamed/embarrassed? I don't want him to feel bad.

I mean I barely know him...

I would just bring it up casualty in your next meeting when you guys are in a private place of course thats if hes still overdone. I mean its ether going to go 1 of two ways hes ether gong to appreciate the advice. Or hes going to get his nose out of joint and stop talking to you.

But really if you think about it if the makeup is actually a "deal breaker" anyways then in my eyes you have nothing to lose no? You could say something like

"ive noticed you seam to have a little prob with acne thats ok happens to allot of people. I could help you with that a little better if you like seams you use makeup that can be tricky even for us women"

Something along those lines just keep it light and friendly ya never know...

Nay. I barely wear make-up.

But also nay to major acne (are there that many people who really get it in adulthood? I've never seen anyone). . . So, I don't really know.

Blade Runner
are there that many people who really get it in adulthood? I've never seen anyone)[/Quote]Some. Early 20's especially. This is usually for people who have had moderate to severe cases through their teenage years, usually people who are in families where acne has been a big problem. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't really a "cure" for acne. It dies down/dissapears to a point for most people after a certain age, but having said that, there are many people who experience break outs in their mid to late 20's and beyond. (Note this is usually for people who have experienced bad acne at some point prior to this.)

In case you do have a conversation and he asks for help (or anyone that's curious), one of the best treatments there is, is "accutane" which is a strong drug in pill form prescribed by a dermatologist. You usually take it for 6-9 months, sometimes longer. It is very effective. There are side effects (the severity of them depends on who you talk to), but most people get by fine with just chapped lips (which is the most common side effect). I've known several people to take this and it works wonders.

Accutane is especially helpful for people who have had pretty long cases of acne, ie more than just your normal teenage zits. Either way, if this guy is suffering from acne, he should see a derm, and they will be able to advise him if accutane is right for him or not. As I say it's a strong medication, but a lot of people don't know about it (partially because the only way to get it officially is through a derm etc) It's a hell of a lot better than covering it up with makeup and/or using over the counter products. They're expensive and don't tend to be that benificial for long term, more severe cases.

Edited by Blade Runner
Some. Early 20's especially. This is usually for people who have had moderate to severe cases through their teenage years, usually people who are in families where acne has been a big problem. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't really a "cure" for acne. It dies down/dissapears to a point for most people after a certain age, but having said that, there are many people who experience break outs in their mid to late 20's and beyond. (Note this is usually for people who have experienced bad acne at some point prior to this.)

In case you do have a conversation and he asks for help (or anyone that's curious), one of the best treatments there is, is "accutane" which is a strong drug in pill form prescribed by a dermatologist. You usually take it for 6-9 months, sometimes longer. It is very effective. There are side effects (the severity of them depends on who you talk to), but most people get by fine with just chapped lips (which is the most common side effect). I've known several people to take this and it works wonders.

Accutane is especially helpful for people who have had pretty long cases of acne, ie more than just your normal teenage zits. Either way, if this guy is suffering from acne, he should see a derm, and they will be able to advise him if accutane is right for him or not. As I say it's a strong medication, but a lot of people don't know about it (partially because the only way to get it officially is through a derm etc) It's a hell of a lot better than covering it up with makeup and/or using over the counter products. They're expensive and don't tend to be that benificial for long term, more severe cases.

last time i checked accutane got pulled from the market for the side effects. It was making people suicidal and had a TREMENDOUS amount of side effects. and a bunch were psychological

xpaperxcutx

I don't know about Accutane, but alot of people are getting prescription tretinoin now. It's an AHA cream for moderate to severe acne.

Half the guys I'd dated so far, most of them are clear. But then again, half of them I noticed have neutrogena or Clean n' Clear in their bathrooms. I guess that says alot.:)

SassyKitten

I recommend guys do what I do on days such as when I'm going to class where I really can't bother with makeup: Tinted acne medication. Blends in very well, even better than any so-called woman's concealer I've used. :)

I had acne as a teen but it went away as I got older. I get a pimple here on rare ocasion but I don't really care who sees it.

I personaly don't even like women who wear make up.

remorseful1980

I have a male friend who borrows my concealer now and then to cover up the redness of his breakouts.

He doesn't mind the pimples, but he hates walking around with brigt red things on his face. Wouldn't you want to cover that up too?

He's a manly, tall, strong, big, guy...with a long term GF (who doesn't use makeup because her skin is perfect). She doesn't seem to be disgusted by it, in fact it's her sometimes who asks me for my concealer for him.

I don't see anything wrong, sometimes we all want to look our best but a sudden breakout prevents that.

I'm talking concealing the spots (which all women should be sympathetic to, cosmetics is a billion-dollar industry). I'm not talking about pancake makeup like what Christina Aguilera uses.

So, if I really like the guy, I'd still see him.

xpaperxcutx

And the fact is, concealer and foundation clogs up the pores, irritating the acne even more.

If a guy have a serious acne emergency ( like a full blown cyst) then I recommend getting a cream with ingredients that make up aspirin. It helps with the redness and inflammation.

• Author
I have a male friend who borrows my concealer now and then to cover up the redness of his breakouts.

He doesn't mind the pimples, but he hates walking around with brigt red things on his face. Wouldn't you want to cover that up too?

He's a manly, tall, strong, big, guy...with a long term GF (who doesn't use makeup because her skin is perfect). She doesn't seem to be disgusted by it, in fact it's her sometimes who asks me for my concealer for him.

I don't see anything wrong, sometimes we all want to look our best but a sudden breakout prevents that.

I'm talking concealing the spots (which all women should be sympathetic to, cosmetics is a billion-dollar industry). I'm not talking about pancake makeup like what Christina Aguilera uses.

So, if I really like the guy, I'd still see him.

Unfortunately it's not just some concealer to tone down the redness here and there (that I can probably accept). I'm talking full on concealer and foundation...

With all the makeup he has on, I dont really know the severity of his acne...but judging by the number of bumps I see (maybe I wasn't able to see all of them) it looks like he has maybe 5-6 on his chin (I think they are big cystic kind though) but it doesn't seem like his acne is horrific.

I guess aside from my ex who had moderate acne (not severe) Ive dated people mostly with perfectly clear skin.

My currently get people telling me I have great skin but thats because I myself took accutane a few years back. Prior to that, my acne was SEVERE and I would cry/hide myself because it was so bad. My derm even at the time said I had one of the worse cases he's seen...it was the disfiguring kind. So that is why I understand this guy's need to cover it up as I did the same....packed on crapload of make up at the time.

Still, his makeup is very noticeable. I can't accept it. Well, that being said, he hasn't called me yet since our date yesterday so maybe after all this trouble he might not even be interested lol.