"I don't want anything serious" for girls = "Let's just be friends" for guys?

Don'tWannabeAWannabe

Don'tWannabeAWannabe

I've always wondered, when a girl hears a guy she likes say "I don't want anything serious," (implying that he only wants casual sex) does she feel the same way as a guy when a girl he likes says "Lets just be friends?"

If a girl says "let's just be friends" to a guy, it's game over in 99% of cases.

If a guy says "I don't want anything serious" to a girl, depending on the context he either doesn't like her enough (yet) to make a commitment but still wants to have sex with her, or he's trying to nicely reject her.

Crazy Magnet

Hmmm.....good question. I've never heard that before so I can't say for myself. I suppose I would take it as some form of rejection though.

I would imagine it might 'feel' the same, in that the person 'rejected' feels 'split' by the other's acceptance of certain parts of themselves but not the entirety.

Woman: I'm good enough for sex but not an emotionally bonded relationship

Man: I'm good enough to share emotions with but not a sexually bonded relationship

The genders process the feelings in their own unique way, so it's really hard to know for sure. Anecdotes :)

MyNameIsJane

You want crazy girl interpretation or normal girl interpretation? haha... in normal girl,

They pretty much sound the same - except a guy telling a girl he doesnt want anything serious sounds like he just wants a NSA hook up... clearly.

But if a girl really likes the guy - then probably in the back of her mind...

"Lets just be friends" sounds like a hard rejection

"I don't want anything serious" sounds like a challenge

I would imagine it might 'feel' the same, in that the person 'rejected' feels 'split' by the other's acceptance of certain parts of themselves but not the entirety.

Woman: I'm good enough for sex but not an emotionally bonded relationship

Man: I'm good enough to share emotions with but not a sexually bonded relationship

The genders process the feelings in their own unique way, so it's really hard to know for sure. Anecdotes :)

Wow....I feel like I'm witnessing a historical moment into the depths of human emotions by reading this.

This is going into my sig.

Seriously, this is so profoundly simply yet explains a lot!

"I dont want anything serious" just means she wants to keep her options open, to have her cake and eat it too. In other words she'll date you for a while, but if something better comes along you're gone. That's the reality and is why I don't put up with it--it's highly disrespectful.

VelveteenBunny

It doesn't necessarily mean a girl is looking for something better, BS76. I have said this to a guy before and I wasn't looking for something better. I simply didn't want to fall in love, and wasn't interested in being monogamous, committed, or super attached at that time.

Woman: "I just want to be friends"

translation: "You are nowhere near attractive enough for me, nor will you ever be."

Man: "I don't want anything serious."

translation: "I want some serious SEX from you, but that's all. I don't want to deal with you as real person. I just want you as a sex android."

That about sums it up.

paddington bear

My interpretation (from personal experience) of the line "I'm not looking for something serious right now":

"You are too unattractive for me to go near with a 10 foot pole. I am scared that you might want something from me, something adult and grown-up, like...for me to be your boyfriend (I am too emotionally stunted to offer you that, but I will never admit to that) so instead, to sound like I've thought deeply about relationships and where I stand emotionally I will give you the much-used line "I'm not looking for something serious right now".

"It's kinda half true, I don't want anything serious, I might some day, but even if that day comes, it will never with you. Bascially, you are not good enough for me, you're just there to fill a gap. I know you find me attractive, and that makes me feel good, so I keep you around, knowing that I am stringing you along, but doing it anyway.

"So, I'll keep you hanging around as an ego boost, while fending off your advances, but please don't doubt this fact: You will be dropped like a hot potato when someone better comes along.

"The great thing about the line "I'm not looking for something serious right now" is the right now part. It keeps unsuspecting ladies hoping that maybe later I might want to be with them (thus keeping the ego boost around), when really I should be saying "I don't want anything serious with YOU ever.

"Don't be surprised though when, mysteriously I will be quite happy for 'something serious' perhaps in a couple of weeks time with someone else. That's different, because it's something serious, but just not with you, you ugly b**ch. It is with someone waaaay better than you, who I won't string along will silly lies about not wanting something serious right now and whom I will quite happily get into a relationship with.

"That's why I'm just warning you, from the offset, by using this line, that you will never, ever have a chance of having any kind of relationship with me - of course I wouldn't turn down some sex. But then, after having sex with you, should you dare to assume that the nature of our relationship has changed in any way, I will be forced to point out that I already said I didn't want anything serious right now. I will follow this up by making you feel like you are the one with the problem for wanting me as a boyfriend. I will make you feel abnormal and clingy for wanting more than to be used for casual sex and then tossed aside while I use you as an ego boost while simultaneously keeping my eye out for someone better."

Does, "I'm not looking to date anybody right now," mean the same thing as "I just want to be friends?"

If a woman said either to me, I'd wave, say 'thanks', and be outta her hair quicker than grease through a goose. The only correct answer to my request for a date is 'yes' ;)